shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a Dupe for this setting?

APMK

Rough_Rock
image.jpg 63ED5CF6-5EAA-417C-B642-B7109BDBAE3F.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

Hi everyone! I’m hoping you can share your wisdom with me! I just received my 10 year anniversary upgrade and I am still on cloud 9.

We went with Blue Nile again (#10yearchallenge, eh?) and I am extremely happy with this ring. During the shopping process, hubby and I picked the most basic 14k setting knowing that I would want to upgrade it down the line. Perhaps 3-row pave, perhaps double claw prongs....and for sure Platinum.

Anyways, the ring arrived and I absolutely love the setting style:
- It looks sturdy
- love the tapered knife look that’s not overly sharp (important to me)
- I love the basket and setting height

What I don’t love: the bubble-like prong gripping the stone and that it’s 14k.

I’m on the hunt for an really good dupe of this setting from a jeweler who will understand my wish (and understand the beauty) for pointy claw prongs (I’ve chosen to go with single).

I’ve spoken to local jewelers and they’re set in their ways with, “these rounded ones are sturdy, you wouldn’t want those pointy things...”

Thank you for any leads or help!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contact David Klass Jewelry in LA pronto. They'll make you something with stunning claws, in platinum or whatever metal you choose - for an excellent price. They're very popular on these boards for their excellent workmanship and great prices.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto David Klass!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David Klass will make a refined piece for your stunning stone

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Totally agree....David Klass will make you something Perfect, that you will LOVE!!!

APMK

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I will look into him. Any one on the east coast that I should look into?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally understand your love of claw prongs. Once you see them, you can never go back! :mrgreen2: Have you considered just having the prongs re-done for now? I don’t know a lot about the bench process but I feel like it’s totally doable.

I too live on the East Coast and I send everything to David Klass. He really is the best. Plus, he does great claw prongs. :D

ETA: Now that I think about it, I have had this type of standard prong changed to claw prongs before. So it is possible.

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
David Klass all the way...and that diamond would look fantastic with claw prongs...there is just something about them!:kiss2:

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, I love your stone, it’ huge and the size is perfect on you. Just curious, what are the measurements on it?

APMK

Rough_Rock
I totally understand your love of claw prongs. Once you see them, you can never go back! :mrgreen2: Have you considered just having the prongs re-done for now? I don’t know a lot about the bench process but I feel like it’s totally doable.

I too live on the East Coast and I send everything to David Klass. He really is the best. Plus, he does great claw prongs. :D

ETA: Now that I think about it, I have had this type of standard prong changed to claw prongs before. So it is possible.

I did consider them redone, but this ring is 14k and I really want Plat.

Plus, I’ve seen shoddy lifted prongs before and I just want to go with someone who is just skilled at it to start. I live in Cleveland and I don’t know where to go around here too to get the prongs sharpen so that it can “hold me over”. :(

APMK

Rough_Rock
Wow, I love your stone, it’ huge and the size is perfect on you. Just curious, what are the measurements on it?

7.6Xmm something across- it’s a 2.72 carats. I don’t remember the rest. :) My ring size is 4.5 and I think this setting makes it appear bigger because it’s set high, but NOT obnoxiously too high.

Last edited:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
If you're on the east coast- ID Jewelry in NY has (or had) a bench person that did amazing claw prongs on a piece I had. And they can cast a new ring for you so it will be a duplicate...

Otherwise, David Klass for sure.

ETA- (yes- same bunnycat...)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results