shape
carat
color
clarity

Help decide 6.5ct light yellow or 5ct fancy light yellow?

Help decide 6.5ct light yellow or 5ct fancy light yellow?

• 6.5 radiant light yellow

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • 5ct cushion fancy light yellow

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
Like always I second doubt myself...

Would you prefer a 6.5ct light yellow over 5ct fancy light yellow? I am getting wrapped around the term because one I got is not fancy color, but the 5ct is Fancy. I feel that make the stone have more value?

They are both about the same price.

6.5 ct radiant light yellow
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/654ct-y-z-vvs2-radiant-diamond-r8610

5ct cushion fancy light yellow
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/501ct-yellow-vs1-cushion-cut-diamond-r8296

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need a picture of the cushion on a white background.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
We need a picture of the cushion on a white background.

I don’t have any personal pictures of the cushion:( . from what David is telling me that he likes the cut on the 6.5ct better. It’s really the term fancy and no fancy on the certificate and also the carat size. The 6.5 is about 1mm bigger.

He also don’t have the cushion with him because it’s in Las Vegas for a show.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Like always I second doubt myself...

Would you prefer a 6.5ct light yellow over 5ct fancy light yellow? I am getting wrapped around the term because one I got is not fancy color, but the 5ct is Fancy. I feel that make the stone have more value?

They are both about the same price.

6.5 ct radiant light yellow
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/654ct-y-z-vvs2-radiant-diamond-r8610

5ct cushion fancy light yellow
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/501ct-yellow-vs1-cushion-cut-diamond-r8296

I wish I know. But you can ask them for a video of both stones side by side for you to compare. I second guess myself a lot too so no worries.

fenestrate

Rough_Rock
Premium
If I can be honest and I mean this with the best of intentions as I have been in a similar position, if you have to ask this question I think neither might be for you. Can you take a pause for about a month and take your time and look around. Get a refund and think about how you want to spend the 40k. I worry that down the line you will be left with a stone that is hard to shift should you not want it any more. There are always more options on the market in this color, carat size and price range

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
If I can be honest and I mean this with the best of intentions as I have been in a similar position, if you have to ask this question I think neither might be for you. Can you take a pause for about a month and take your time and look around. Get a refund and think about how you want to spend the 40k. I worry that down the line you will be left with a stone that is hard to shift should you not want it any more. There are always more options on the market in this color, carat size and price range

Thank you for your advice! I don’t want to return the 6.5ct, I do like it a lot! I mean, just by seeing the picture of the 5ct cushion did not speak to me like the 6.5ct radiant did. I guess from you asking if I want to return is a reality check for me to find out which one I like. =)2

The cutting wise I like the radiant better, certificate and the depth of the diamond I like cushion better. But for the cushion is just the number and the turn fancy light yellow, the cutting I feel the radiant is better and 1.5ct larger.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 2nd one, but I would rather go down in size and up in color.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your advice! I don’t want to return the 6.5ct, I do like it a lot! I mean, just by seeing the picture of the 5ct cushion did not speak to me like the 6.5ct radiant did. I guess from you asking if I want to return is a reality check for me to find out which one I like. =)2

The cutting wise I like the radiant better, certificate and the depth of the diamond I like cushion better. But for the cushion is just the number and the turn fancy light yellow, the cutting I feel the radiant is better and 1.5ct larger.
I would stick with the one you got. It sounds like you like the idea of a fancy yellow, but are actually happier with what you have.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I would stick with the one you got. It sounds like you like the idea of a fancy yellow, but are actually happier with what you have.

Yea, if the color is 2 grade up I definitely don’t need to be indecisive, but light yellow and fancy light yellow is what I couldn’t decide.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I know. But you can ask them for a video of both stones side by side for you to compare. I second guess myself a lot too so no worries.

Unfortunately they can’t take any video now because the cushion is in Las Vegas for a show, but the 6.5ct is already in my hand.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, as investments go, yellow diamonds aren't it anyway. David is a known colored stone vendor with a decent policy as far as getting a different stone in the future.

Yes, having "fancy" on the cert versus being an alphabet stone does increase the retail price.

However, I'd personally rather pay the alphabet stone price for a stone that, in a ring, looks exactly the same as the FLY.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, as investments go, yellow diamonds aren't it anyway. David is a known colored stone vendor with a decent policy as far as getting a different stone in the future.

Yes, having "fancy" on the cert versus being an alphabet stone does increase the retail price.

However, I'd personally rather pay the alphabet stone price for a stone that, in a ring, looks exactly the same as the FLY.

Exactly this. If you’re worried about the color mentally, from a standpoint of FLY being more valuable than YZ, i wouldn’t stress over it. Once set, the stones most likely wouldn’t be that different as far as color. You could always upgrade with David down the line if it ends up bothering you.

I’d stick with the Radiant because it seems you prefer that cut altogether. Or see if David can source you a fancy Radiant close to that size. Do you prefer Radiants in general, or is it the proportions of that stone you like. The Radiant is a little more rectangular than the cushion you posted.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Exactly this. If you’re worried about the color mentally, from a standpoint of FLY being more valuable than YZ, i wouldn’t stress over it. Once set, the stones most likely wouldn’t be that different as far as color. You could always upgrade with David down the line if it ends up bothering you.

I’d stick with the Radiant because it seems you prefer that cut altogether. Or see if David can source you a fancy Radiant close to that size. Do you prefer Radiants in general, or is it the proportions of that stone you like. The Radiant is a little more rectangular than the cushion you posted.

I like the rectangular shape better on the radiant. David told me it’s more difficult to source radiant compare to cushion and radiant is more rare. I think it will be difficult to source one with comparable size.

So I think I am sticking with this radiant. I just needed reassurance from the awesome procescope community.:twisted2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 2 cents.
If you are being tempted by the 5 carat while only just receiving the 6.5 radiant, maybe neither is right for you.
What I mean is, will be you be tempted to be still looking around once the return window has closed ? A $40,000 diamond isn’t a quick resale if you want to pursue another diamond.
Personally I think the 6.5 radiant is best, it has great size and cut.
At $40,000 you need to be madly in love with it, at least for now.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
My 2 cents.
If you are being tempted by the 5 carat while only just receiving the 6.5 radiant, maybe neither is right for you.
What I mean is, will be you be tempted to be still looking around once the return window has closed ? A $40,000 diamond isn’t a quick resale if you want to pursue another diamond.
Personally I think the 6.5 radiant is best, it has great size and cut.
At $40,000 you need to be madly in love with it, at least for now.

Deep down I know I like the 6.5 radiant more. I just don’t want to make a mistake not considered the 5ct cushion. I mean, when I saw the radiant I felt like I have to have it! But not with the 5ct cushion. I like how the radiant have a very crisp look to it, while I feel like the cushion’s crush ice look is not for me.

The more I think about it, the more I know I am leaning toward my original choice.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with @kb1gra and @Bron357 here...

Out of the two options to me the radiant is it. But if you have any doubts, listen to your gut. This is a purchase that has to leave you with a fuzzy feeling and a big smile ☺. That's what diamonds are for !!!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The key to this for me is your statement that you "like" the radiant and are unsure about whether you should switch to the cushion. That tells me you don't LOVE the radiant. Please don't keep a stone you don't love. You'll know when you find one that you love. It doesn't matter if radiants are harder to find. That may be because honestly, radiants aren't all that favored at least on PS. (I know David loves them.)

Of those two, I'd take the cushion any day. But I'd personally prefer an antique cut light yellow stone, and I have a couple but neither are fancy. I think the setting choice would have a lot to do with the shape of the stone you end up choosing.

Here's a gorgeous 5 ct yellow cushion owned by @grateful4life and setting by CVB Inspired Design:

CVBgrateful4life.jpeg

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
The key to this for me is your statement that you "like" the radiant and are unsure about whether you should switch to the cushion. That tells me you don't LOVE the radiant. Please don't keep a stone you don't love. You'll know when you find one that you love. It doesn't matter if radiants are harder to find. That may be because honestly, radiants aren't all that favored at least on PS. (I know David loves them.)

Of those two, I'd take the cushion any day. But I'd personally prefer an antique cut light yellow stone, and I have a couple but neither are fancy. I think the setting choice would have a lot to do with the shape of the stone you end up choosing.

Here's a gorgeous 5 ct yellow cushion owned by @grateful4life and setting by CVB Inspired Design:

CVBgrateful4life.jpeg

When I first saw the radiant, I love it! I onlybsecond doubt when I saw the price of the cushion is about the same and wonder which stone will value more and got stuck with the term light yellow or fancy light yellow.

There are things I don’t like about the cushion, I would like the cushion to have more a rectangular shape, also would like the cut to be more crisp.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
To determine just how important the fancy label is to you, I think the question might be "would you be happier paying ~ $6,000 more for this radiant with a certificate labeling it fancy, or paying the price you did without it?".

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
To determine just how important the fancy label is to you, I think the question might be "would you be happier paying ~ $6,000 more for this radiant with a certificate labeling it fancy, or paying the price you did without it?".

I guess I am happy with the price I paid! After all, there is not a huge difference on color. Some don’t consider fancy light as fancy yellow as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results