shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing diamond!

Dlove

Rough_Rock
Hi! First post on the forum! Thanks for all of your helpful feedback!

I would like help deciding on a stone. I have basically decided on the 1.00 carat listed below, as I have a setting already that this will fit. Any thoughts on whether this is a really good stone. I am looking for maximum sparkle!

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R100-491458294?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

https://www.zoara.com/diamonds/p_ro...tm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc#?p=9617105

Also, I came across another diamond that I think looks really good and is a similar price. However, it won't fit the setting I have. I am trying to decide if it is a much better stone and worth trading out my current setting (more $$) or are they pretty similar in performance. The ASET pictures look different to me but I can't tell if that is purely a function of photography setting. Also, would you notice the difference between 1.0 ct and 1.14. Any opinions welcome! Thanks so much.

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R114-490943508?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the 1.14 will look noticeably bigger than the 1ct, but I'm not sure if it's a big enough difference to have to "start over" with a new setting.

HOWEVER, I think the ASET of the 1.14 stone looks much better than the 1.0 ASET. I'm not 100% sure that the difference isn't due to the set up in terms of the stone being tilted, but in my view the significantly better ASET would be enough for me to switch to the larger stone, especially for the same price. I think VVS1 and VVS2 are overkill in terms of clarity (but that's just IMHO).

Hopefully others who are more experienced than I am with ASETs can chime in.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
I think the 1.14 will look noticeably bigger than the 1ct, but I'm not sure if it's a big enough difference to have to "start over" with a new setting.

HOWEVER, I think the ASET of the 1.14 stone looks much better than the 1.0 ASET. I'm not 100% sure that the difference isn't due to the set up in terms of the stone being tilted, but in my view the significantly better ASET would be enough for me to switch to the larger stone, especially for the same price. I think VVS1 and VVS2 are overkill in terms of clarity (but that's just IMHO).

Agreed about the ASET but also not an expert at interpreting tilt if present. Is there a reason for the high clarity? You could maximize color to D and lower clarity to VS1 or VS2 while still being eye clean.

Dlove

Rough_Rock

Thanks so much! yes, that is the big dilemma- whether it is really worth starting over.

Dlove

Rough_Rock
Agreed about the ASET but also not an expert at interpreting tilt if present. Is there a reason for the high clarity? You could maximize color to D and lower clarity to VS1 or VS2 while still being eye clean.

Thanks so much! No there isn't, these actually were just the best performers within my budget in terms of HCA/AGA etc. that I found and was able to get more info on. I am trying to stick with exactly 1.00 carat to fit current setting so limited in that regard.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much! No there isn't, these actually were just the best performers within my budget in terms of HCA/AGA etc. that I found and was able to get more info on. I am trying to stick with exactly 1.00 carat to fit current setting so limited in that regard.

Ok, what is your budget, and what is your preferred color and clarity?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask whoever is doing the setting whether the dimensions of the 2nd stone would work. I think the ASET is significantly better, and is isn't a ton bigger in mm size than a traditional 1ct. I'm concerned that the 1st one will have leakage, and also that it faces up slightly smaller than a 1ct stone--so you pay for the 1ct in "name" but not in size, which always bugs me.

Dlove

Rough_Rock
I would ask whoever is doing the setting whether the dimensions of the 2nd stone would work. I think the ASET is significantly better, and is isn't a ton bigger in mm size than a traditional 1ct. I'm concerned that the 1st one will have leakage, and also that it faces up slightly smaller than a 1ct stone--so you pay for the 1ct in "name" but not in size, which always bugs me.

You are right. I will ask about the 2nd stone, as the measurements are not too far off. Which stone do you prefer between this one and the 1.14? It is hard for me to compare the ASETs.

Yang Kin

Rough_Rock
Trade
If you are willing to drop down to G colour, maybe you can consider this WhiteFlash piece:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3950135.htm

It is from their Premium Select category which means you are entitled to the same benefit as their other in-house collections.

This stone will look more on the "bright" side due to the wide table and the shallower crown angle rather than on the "fiery" side of things, nonetheless, this is still consider a well-balanced diamond and it is considered a TIC. 75% lower girdle percentage is nice -> Bold flashes!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pass on stone 1. There is leakage at the 3 o'clock position.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s your setting look like? If it has a peg head, that can easily be swapped to accommodate a larger stone.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pass on stone 1. There is leakage at the 3 o'clock position.

Sorry, I was tired last night when I posted and failed to include the marked up ASET showing you what I was talking about. The black spots are leakage. Additionally it gets very white in that area as well. I'd try to find a better stone personally.

InkedR100-491458294_AST_LI.jpg

As far as the setting, you keep mentioning you must be at "1 carat" so you don't have to start over. Can you ask your jeweler the MAXIMUM and MINIMUM dimensions of a stone that you need to avoid changing the setting? I ask because carat weight is a function of length x width x depth x 0.0061 for a round diamond.

The table size, crown angle, pavilion angles and cut quality will all play into the overall depth, which will also affect the length & width dimensions. They are all interrelated. For instance, a 1 carat stone that has a larger 60 table and shallower 60 depth will normally have larger length & width dimensions than a stone with a 55 table and 61.8 depth.

Poorly cut stones known as "steep & deep" will include stones that have steep crowns and/or steep pavilions that increase depth and decrease from the stone's diameter (length & width). This is pretty common on magic weight diamonds like 1 carat. It's more profitable for them to hit that magic 1 carat mark than be at 0.95+ carats because a 1+ carat stone sells at a premium price. Since you are trying to find exactly 1 carat, you will likely see an influx of stones cut for weight vs beauty.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may ask your jeweler if this stone will work. It has excellent proportions, great color and while an SI1 -- it looks to be a very clean SI1. Besides in a smaller stone like a 1 carat, getting VS2+ clarity isn't really needed unless it's a mind thing. I respect that because I suffer from the mind thing, but again, the cert is really clean on this SI1 and the WF site indicates it's eye clean. I'd have them pull the stone and examine with human eyes to be sure but it seems like a winner to me.

Plus you get a super ideal stone from one of the best vendors out there. Access to great upgrade programs (spend $1 more and get full credit of the original stone) that have ample supplies and good choices when the time comes. AGS000 certification, true hearts & arrow symmetry and all the performance images to prove it's a bonafide bad-a**.

WF ACA 1.052ct F SI1 - 6.53x6.57x4.02 - 56.4 table, 61.4 depth, 34.6 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 78 LGF
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3965455.htm

Dlove

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all the helpful info! I went ahead and passed on the first stone as suggested. My setting is a halo that was made to originally fit a “1 carat”. I didn’t realize there was that much of a range in measurements for different carat size so I will ask about the measurements it can accommodate. Here is the setting:

https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Halo/French-Cut-Halo-For-Round-Diamond/WhiteGold/1672

If I absolutely have to I am willing to start over but my main goal is to get the sparkliest diamond possible given my budget. Finding another setting obviously would affect the budget and I do really love the one I already have. I think I would be willing to consider a G if it meant getting something that performed substantially better.

Are there any favorites among the options you all have so kindly posted? Thanks so much again I really appreciate the help.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for all the helpful info! I went ahead and passed on the first stone as suggested. My setting is a halo that was made to originally fit a “1 carat”. I didn’t realize there was that much of a range in measurements for different carat size so I will ask about the measurements it can accommodate. Here is the setting:

https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Halo/French-Cut-Halo-For-Round-Diamond/WhiteGold/1672

If I absolutely have to I am willing to start over but my main goal is to get the sparkliest diamond possible given my budget. Finding another setting obviously would affect the budget and I do really love the one I already have. I think I would be willing to consider a G if it meant getting something that performed substantially better.

Are there any favorites among the options you all have so kindly posted? Thanks so much again I really appreciate the help.

I think we posted on top of each other. See above for the stone from WF that I most recently suggested. It's a beauty, assuming the dimensions work for you.

An alternate method to finding the right size would be to know the dimensions of your original stone. Do you have a copy of the cert you can take a pic of and post, or perhaps the GIA number, and then we can search their database in hopes it's still uploaded.

Additionally, if you have any pictures of how the current setting & stone looked together would be useful. I know this may seem redundant because you just posted a link of the halo setting (which looks gorgeous & classic btw); however, depending on specifics the diamond can either sit flush with the halo ring (black), have a thin/thick airline between the halo (blue) & diamond or the diamond can slightly overlap onto the halo (red).

See the picture below to illustrate what I mean. My fiancee's setting is twisty and curvy but forms a halo effect when viewing from the top. She likes having a thin air line so when designing her custom setting I worked with the designer to ensure we maintained that airline.

Screen Cap of Web Pic of Your Setting
Capture.PNG

Marked Up Version (illustrating my points above):
InkedCapture_LI.jpg

My Fiancee's Ring (showing thin air line effect):
DKJPV_0629_WR-1.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to clarify: do you have the setting currently at a jeweler, or is it reserved? Was there a stone in the setting before?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to clarify: do you have the setting currently at a jeweler, or is it reserved? Was there a stone in the setting before?

Very good point. I just assumed there was an existing stone based on all the hoopla about saving the setting. If you haven't bought one yet, I'd buy the stone I wanted first. Then I'd work with the diamond vendor supplying the stone to see what settings they have that is similar, or have them make one for you.

Based on what I paid for my fiancee's setting and seeing how the linked halo setting is much simpler in comparison I think David Klass (DK), who made my fiancee's setting, could re-make this in his sleep and to much higher precision.

Dlove

Rough_Rock
1FC3DDD1-8E06-4122-8993-25DC4F1B57FF.jpeg 29A2CC53-CDEB-44D4-9124-2B76BAFCB21A.jpeg I am currently in possession of the setting. I have attached pictures of my current ring. The diamond sits a bit lifted from the halo if that makes any since.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1FC3DDD1-8E06-4122-8993-25DC4F1B57FF.jpeg 29A2CC53-CDEB-44D4-9124-2B76BAFCB21A.jpeg I am currently in possession of the setting. I have attached pictures of my current ring. The diamond sits a bit lifted from the halo if that makes any since.
Totally makes sense! Just wanted to check. 100% ask the jeweler about size and flexibility for setting.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely understand what you are saying. Current ring has a very thin air line. So you will want to try to mimick the existing diamond size as closely as possible to maintain that same look. Too small diameter will make a fatter airline. Too large will decrease/eliminate the airline and overlap the halo. Either scenario may provide an undesired effect.

Again -- what was the dimensions of the original stone?

Dlove

Rough_Rock
Definitely understand what you are saying. Current ring has a very thin air line. So you will want to try to mimick the existing diamond size as closely as possible to maintain that same look. Too small diameter will make a fatter airline. Too large will decrease/eliminate the airline and overlap the halo. Either scenario may provide an undesired effect.

Again -- what was the dimensions of the original stone?

6.37 - 6.34 x 3.89 mm 61.2 depth 53 table
Here are the dimensions of the current stone. It is very poorly cut (hence the desire to change it) and now after learning more about measurements I realize it likely doesn't face up as a true "1 carat". The interesting thing is when I got the setting I actually didn't know the exact measurements of the stone just that it was "1 carat". I guess it just worked out in terms of fit.

Last edited:

Dlove

Rough_Rock
You may ask your jeweler if this stone will work. It has excellent proportions, great color and while an SI1 -- it looks to be a very clean SI1. Besides in a smaller stone like a 1 carat, getting VS2+ clarity isn't really needed unless it's a mind thing. I respect that because I suffer from the mind thing, but again, the cert is really clean on this SI1 and the WF site indicates it's eye clean. I'd have them pull the stone and examine with human eyes to be sure but it seems like a winner to me.

Plus you get a super ideal stone from one of the best vendors out there. Access to great upgrade programs (spend $1 more and get full credit of the original stone) that have ample supplies and good choices when the time comes. AGS000 certification, true hearts & arrow symmetry and all the performance images to prove it's a bonafide bad-a**.

WF ACA 1.052ct F SI1 - 6.53x6.57x4.02 - 56.4 table, 61.4 depth, 34.6 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 78 LGF

Wow this diamond looks great. I will reach out to them about whether it is truly eye clean. I am sold on their upgrade program!

Dlove

Rough_Rock
Just contacted the maker of the setting and they actually did make the setting specific to the measurements of the original diamond, so in order to maintain the same "look" new diamond measurements would need to be very close as @sledge stated. Not sure how doable this is. I may need to rethink if swapping diamonds will truly work. Based on the measurements of my stone, does anyone know what size carats I should be looking at to get close? I don't think there is a way to filter by measurements.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6.37 - 6.34 x 3.89 mm 61.2 depth 53 table
Here are the dimensions of the current stone. It is very poorly cut (hence the desire to change it) and now after learning more about measurements I realize it likely doesn't face up as a true "1 carat". The interesting thing is when I got the setting I actually didn't know the exact measurements of the stone just that it was "1 carat". I guess it just worked out in terms of fit.

Thank you for posting. In comparison to the 1.052ct stone I posted, your existing stone is about 0.20mm smaller. In US measurements, this is about 1/128th of an inch. So it's very close but it would slightly change the appearance of your existing setup.

Keep in mind, that 0.20mm is the total difference in circumference. Therefore, you'd pick up half that on each side, or about 0.10mm. Again, in US measurements, this is about 1/256th of an inch.

I'm not really sure the measurement of your airline gap. I know I can see it's there but it's fairly minimal. Most people will struggle to see 0.10mm of difference with the naked eye; however, because you knew what about the existing airline gap from before and the fact the gap appears black against two white surfaces, it may be more easily detectable.

You could do a scaled print out. Cut out the print and place it over your existing stone to see how it makes you feel. It wouldn't be perfect but get you close.

Alternatively, we'd need to try to find you a smaller stone that is closer to the actual dimensions.

I saw this stone, but didn't suggest because I was unsure how you would feel about the clarity. I understand it states it's eye clean, etc. However, I don't like the magnified view of it and the cert makes my mind go a little bonkers -- remember, how I told you I suffer from "mind clean" issues. This is an example where maybe it looks fine to the naked eye, but because of my own preferences & limitations this stone wouldn't work for me because it'd drive me nuts.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just contacted the maker of the setting and they actually did make the setting specific to the measurements of the original diamond, so in order to maintain the same "look" new diamond measurements would need to be very close as @sledge stated. Not sure how doable this is. I may need to rethink if swapping diamonds will truly work. Based on the measurements of my stone, does anyone know what size carats I should be looking at to get close? I don't think there is a way to filter by measurements.

Here are some more options:

BGD Signature 1.01ct F SI1 - 6.41 x 6.43 x 3.97
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/1.010-f-si1-round-diamond-ags-104078383016

If you go with this stone, there is only about 0.07mm total difference. Divide that by two and you are about 0.035mm difference. Yes, it technically exists but I don't think you will ever see it with your eyes.

FYI, BGD is a very good vendor as well. The stone I bought my fiancee is actually from BGD. If you aren't aware, Brian helped co-found WF and then eventually broke out on his own to form BGD. He is very well respected for his quality of cut & precision.

I am concerned about the price. It's over your max $8k budget, but if you called Lesley and sweet talked her, maybe she could help close the gap a little. Who knows, but worth a call and ask, right?

Also, their upgrade program is good but different than WF in the fact you have to spend $1 more to get full credit of the original stone, but you also have to upgrade 2 of the following 3 characteristics: carat weight, color or clarity. When I bought my stone I wasn't as concerned but I bought an H VS2 and figured the next bump would be bigger and a higher color, but my fiancee isn't really the upgrade type. She may elect to hold the stone for sentimental reasons, or never upgrade at all.

WF ACA 0.93ct E SI1 - 6.24 x 6.26 x 3.87
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3929359.htm

This is nearly the inverse situation of the BGD option. The stone is under budget. You get a color bump to E. It's still eye clean. The dimensions are about 0.10mm smaller overall, or about 0.05mm on each side which again would be very hard to detect with the naked eye. We're talking about 1/512th of an inch, lol.

If the size thing doesn't bother you, this seems to be more advantageous IMO. I say this because you avoid the 1 carat magic weight price premium, and get nearly the same dimensions (at least nothing that is significantly less and arguably even detectable with human eyes). You do get a color bump which very color sensitive people may appreciate.

Dlove

Rough_Rock
Wow thanks so much for finding these! Out of all the stones posted I am leaning most towards the

I am more inclined to go up than down in size because I do notice that the airline on my current setup could be a touch thinner horizontally. My partner is really on board with WF upgrade policy so if possible it would be great to do one of their ACAs. Also, like I stated I am the most worried about "sparkle" so this may be a way to guarantee that isn't an issue.

I am still waiting to here back from the maker of the setting to see if they think this stone will work but regardless I am thinking I may just chance it and purchase this one.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results