shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing diamond engagement ring

nowi

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I don't know much about diamonds so I was hoping to get some recommendations on specific diamonds (feel free to link some below)

I am looking to buy online so Blue Nile, James Allen, Whiteflash.

looking to spend $13-14k (aus dollars) and I am after a round solitaire around 1.5 carats

Thanks in advance :mrgreen2:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a look using the diamond search tool above (under the resources tab). You don’t give your preferred colour/clarity choices but most of the Whiteflash stones in budget are J or I and slightly smaller than you want, eg

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3970293.htm

More people will comment later in the day, it being night time in the US right now but this one has good numbers if you are happy with an I,

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10590194?click_id=814278751

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
One advise from me, VVS, VS SI1 looks the same, the difference will be only in your pocket.
F color is the optimum color and the most sought after. But if you prefer size over color you may go down to H and still have a magnificent white diamond.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To confirm, is the budget quoted before or after import tax has been taken into account?

Durham Rose

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi, @nowi firstly congratulations on your up and coming proposal.

You have certainly come to the right place for diamond knowledge and recommendations. It is great that you have set yourself a clear budget as this will make it easier to navigate your search and seek out what is more important to you visually when purchasing a stone.

I partially agree with @davidb regarding the clarity of the diamond. If you’re working with diamonds that have been properly screened the difference between VVS, VS and SI1 – even SI2 – can appear the same to the naked eye. But every SI diamond is different. There are SI1s with visible inclusions and SI2s that are completely clean, but of course clean is a matter of definition. If you’re seeking ‘eye-clean’ with normal vision from 25cm face-up, that is very different than the definition of ‘eye-clean’ to a 16-year-old with sharp vision looking face-up, from the sides and even the bottom. So when it comes to clarity it’s good to work with an expert who knows your definition and is enforcing it as strongly as you do.

I’d also emphasizing the cut quality of the diamond to guarantee a very lively stone.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi nowi,

If you are looking into a round diamond (the most popular cut in the world) I'll make some recommendations. Obviously you will learn all about the 4C's : Remember that Clarity, and Color and carat weight are, for the most part, set by nature in a diamond - sure the cutter can make some decisions for minor differences, but largely the diamond is what it is when taken from the ground. However, the cut of the diamond is determined by man, so this is the area to focus on when you are looking for the variables in diamonds.

As a piece of rough is selected, the cutter (and computer) can determine how to get the largest carat weight possible from the rough - here is where a decision is made:

(This is an oversimplification, but remains valid)

Should the cutter get the most possible carat weight that will likely get a nice grade from the grading lab (Excellent cut)... or can they cut the diamond to specific tolerances which will play for the best possible light performance (also getting an Excellent cut grade).

Because diamonds are so dependent upon carat weight for pricing, many cutters retain carat weight in the diamond that will allow for an excellent cut rating, but will not fit within the tolerances for optimum light performance. In order to create a top-performing diamond, they would often have to sacrifice carat weight (make the total depth less, the table size different, the critical angles a bit shallower for example).

My suggestion is you look through all of the resources on PriceScope regarding cut quality - this is where the critical decision is made by man in shaping the diamond for optimal light performance.

You have a great budget that should allow you to get a quality, well-cut diamond rather than one that comes at the cheapest carat/dollar ratio but might not have the overall performance you would like.

nowi

Rough_Rock
I had a look using the diamond search tool above (under the resources tab). You don’t give your preferred colour/clarity choices but most of the Whiteflash stones in budget are J or I and slightly smaller than you want, eg

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3970293.htm

More people will comment later in the day, it being night time in the US right now but this one has good numbers if you are happy with an I,

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10590194?click_id=814278751

I think that I like the Blue Nile diamond (but I would love other opinions). Is I not a good colour?

I also emailed diamond pro for recommendations but they mainly suggested J colour stones and I am not sure I want my colour that low :think:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's nothing wrong with an I or J colored stone--it just depends on whether you think your GF/future fiance is particularly color sensitive or set on a "higher" color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results