shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Which Tiffany diamond would you choose?

Delaney

Rough_Rock
I’m torn between two diamonds for a Tiffany engagement ring. Both are priced very similarly but I’m not sure which one would be considered ‘better’.

Here are the stats, can’t wait to hear what you think!

Diamond #1 .94 I IF
Diamond #2 .85 E VVS

At first glance I thought #1 is the clear winner but I’m not sure if the jump between I vs E is pretty drastic in the diamond world. Of course I’ll be seeing both diamonds in person before choosing so I’ll be able to compare.

Any and all help is so very much appreciated.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need more stats to properly answer this question.

Color, clarity and carat size is just part of the equation. You missed the most important C....cut!

Put both on hold. Snap pictures of the GIA certificates and post for us to review. With the angles and percentages provided, we can help pinpoint which is the better cut stone.

That said, if both stones were identically cut and had gorgeous proportions I'd personally choose the E VVS because I like that crisp white. While I feel both VVS and IF are complete overkill on clarity on a stone in this size, I'd choose the VVS as it's less overkill.

Personally I'd probably drop to an E/F/G color and VS2+ clarity and increase the carat size. Also, I'd probably switch to a super ideal diamond from WF, HPD or BGD and have them make me a Tiffany solitaire. For probably the same or less money. ;)2

See how personal preference for color & clarity is playing into the equation? The jump from E to I in color is drastic. You need to know where you and your SO fall in color sensitivity. Also, figure out where you are with clarity. Really VVS and IF are complete overkill and unneeded unless you have some cultural reason for doing so.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If these are new from Tiffany, they won’t have GIA certificates since Tiffany no longer gets their diamonds certified by GIA. But Tiffany should be able to provide you with their in house certifications, which will have the angles needed to determine the cut quality. If you could share those here, the experts can give you better advice.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The color and clarity are both desirable. Coveted. But don't stop there.

Tiffany can give you other data on their certs. Cut/proportions. It is a job to sell diamonds, let them help YOU.

cheers--Sharon

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a solitaire pendant from Tiffany’s..They don’t have a GIA cert but they do give you papers with the cut, color, and clarity. Mine is a little fireball and it’s a vvs2 I color..I don’t see any color in it at all and I’m color sensitive..

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If Tiffany is your only option. I would choose E. I like
Higher colors in MRB . Assuming cut is not a factor.

If cut matters I would be looking at super ideals.

Junc80

Rough_Rock
If you go to another Tiffany's in other locations you'll be able to see more selection, not just E vvs or I IF. Perhaps you can land on a G SI or vs and score a stone in between at a better price. When I used to go to Tiffany's to browse I used to be perplexed at the range of prices just on a small 0.3 carat pendants, ranging from E Vvs to I vs2. Price diff used to be drastic. Maybe u can call a few locations.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
If you go to another Tiffany's in other locations you'll be able to see more selection, not just E vvs or I IF. Perhaps you can land on a G SI or vs and score a stone in between at a better price. When I used to go to Tiffany's to browse I used to be perplexed at the range of prices just on a small 0.3 carat pendants, ranging from E Vvs to I vs2. Price diff used to be drastic. Maybe u can call a few locations.

Tiffany stores don't carry stones rated (their own internal rating, not GIA or AGS) below VS.

With the Cartier/Harry/Betteridge/Tiffany fronts, I think their prices will be much more expensive than what a buyer would expect from online dealers. The branded/premium stores lean heavily on the concept that the wearer can say "It's from X" to convey that the jewelry has a superior level of workmanship, quality, and cachet that is unavailable from the less known options. These premium stores also tend to provide a level of customer service and extras that buyers wouldn't reasonably expect without the fat profit margins afforded by the premium being paid for the jewelry.

Junc80

Rough_Rock
Tiffany's does carry SI stones. I am their regular lurker that never buys :D si1 is their lowest clarity

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re not married to Tiffany (the brand) your budget would get you a more stellar performer, and likely a much larger stone, even if you went in the middle of your original color choices (say F-G-H) and the same high clarity. Bigger stone still if you drop to VS. in a super ideal cut (for maximum light performance)

Someone could show you a size diff if you were open to other merchants. And give us a budget range.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you pick something yet?

Junc80

Rough_Rock
Yes I got curious too so i looked on their site and saw the same link. But when you go to their store they do carry SI stones. I went in today near my work and they showed me SI stones for earrings and when i inquired about engagement rings, they gave me pricing for their 1 carat round brilliant G color stones:

Tiffany Setting Diamond Ring 1.04 Carats Color G Clarity SI1 14,100

Tiffany Setting Diamond Ring 1.05 Carats Color G Clarity VVS2 15,800

Pricing for the difference in clarity wasn't as drastic as I imagined.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
If these are new from Tiffany, they won’t have GIA certificates since Tiffany no longer gets their diamonds certified by GIA. But Tiffany should be able to provide you with their in house certifications, which will have the angles needed to determine the cut quality. If you could share those here, the experts can give you better advice.

Do they have their stones certified by another lab, or not at all? I can’t see the reasoning ... how would this benefit the consumer in any way? Do they have their own grading system?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do they have their stones certified by another lab, or not at all? I can’t see the reasoning ... how would this benefit the consumer in any way? Do they have their own grading system?

Tiffany does their own grading inhouse and issues their own Tiffany & Co. Diamond Certificate. They do use the GIA grades.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I got curious too so i looked on their site and saw the same link. But when you go to their store they do carry SI stones. I went in today near my work and they showed me SI stones for earrings and when i inquired about engagement rings, they gave me pricing for their 1 carat round brilliant G color stones:

Tiffany Setting Diamond Ring 1.04 Carats Color G Clarity SI1 14,100

Tiffany Setting Diamond Ring 1.05 Carats Color G Clarity VVS2 15,800

Pricing for the difference in clarity wasn't as drastic as I imagined.

The jump doesn't seem considerable because of the size and color range. As both those variables increase the clarity jumps also increase.

Just food for thought, super ideal ACA diamond, 1.071ct G VS2 for $8,565.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3999639.htm

Couple with a custom Tiffany solitaire remake from DK or WF and total cost would be $10-11k. More sparkle, guaranteed specs by trusted 3rd party lab (AGS), lifetime upgrade program and $4k+ you get to keep in your pocket.

Junc80

Rough_Rock
I wish I was the one in the market for one.. as a PS lurker and a window shopper at the stores I generally get a kick out of reading others get their bling for the buck. And browsing the WF ACA as if I was in the market for one, only to realize that I already proposed to my wife 7 years ago AND I am just as broke as I was when I got married but just with a growing passion for diamonds lol :geek2::P2:lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results