shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Setting for UNIQUE shallow antique pear (almost rose cut?)

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!

I have been lurking here for quite some time, and an impulse buy has prompted me to finally post!

*Disclaimer before we begin.* I know this is not a traditionally "well-cut" diamond, and that many will consider it simply spready (and pointless?). But part of it's charm for me is it's uniqueness, and I was already looking at rose cuts anyway, so the lack of standard sparkle is not a huge concern. And antique diamonds are never perfect. Worst comes to worst, I still have 30 days to return. ;)2

So I just purchased a suuuper shallow antique pear cut. It's kind of like a rose cut and an old pear had a baby. Rather than being flat at the back, like a typical rose, it has a very shallow, single faceted pavilion, with an open cutlet. This adds a little more internal sparkle than a standard rose cut, more reminiscent of a double rose cut. BUT it also has a table facet rather than a full honeycomb dome. So. Photos at end of post.

Basically, I was scouring for an OMC.... and then I got distracted.

Some specs:
Size: 0.75ct
Color: G
Clarity: SI2 (eye clean with some minor inclusions toward the edges)
Dimensions: 8.19 x 6.23 x (I need to measure, shallow)

Unique stone, but HOW TO SET IT? How to play up this little character?

Do I lean in more to its antique-ness, or push toward the more minimalist, modern designs we see with a lot of contemporary rose cuts?

At the moment, all I know for sure is yellow gold. And I am personally not a huge fan of big sparkly halos. Metal ones are good :)

Share with me any ideas, knowledge, examples of things you love! Thank you! :appl:

9753a-front.jpg

9753a.jpg

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
A side stone addendum :)

I have considered pairing this with a set of two little 3.5mm OMCs to go ful on old chunky monkey with this. Thoughts?

Also, do we think it would be a bad idea to pair such a translucent stone will brilliant cut melee? Will it diminish the centerpiece.

Colored stones??? I played with the thought of some pale-colored stones for a three-stone complement. Something like light Montana sapphires, or champagne-colored somethings.

I also have a recent obsession with konerupine. (Such beautiful pleochroism!) I found some blue-green-purple melee stones that might me cool to incorporate:

IMG_4562.jpg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
I like your pear and think it is very pretty. Are you okay with a bezel? I think maybe something like this would work and you could incorporate your melee
bezel five stone.jpg
Or setting it in one of the CVB styles that she has been producing lately for rose cuts. I think those styles are lovely
https://www.etsy.com/listing/549260...se-cut-diamond-carved?ref=shop_home_active_42

Thank you so much @Lookinagain :)

I am definitely happy with a good bezel. That seems to be the standard lately with rose cuts. I wonder if it's a protection thing? Or just for the low profile? I have seen some miligrain bezels that I love :love:

And definitely oggling the CVB rings.

Also, I don't think I have ever seen an oval quite like that. Do you know the cut? Merci!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If you like the idea of a metal halo, what about this or something like it? I actually own the ring in the link, so I am biased.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/lad-couronne-floral-garland-halo-setting/

This is pretty too:

https://www.victorbarbone.com/products/bezel-set-pear-cut-engagement-ring

This is a more modern setting, but an idea for you:

https://www.moissaniteco.com/pear-cut-forever-one-moissanite-bezel-set-engagement-ring-p-26849.html

Or this is an idea, even though it has diamonds (the pear). I'm sure it could be made without and I have bought from Dolly before as well:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmW3ufcBFoX/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=sl5jb5jan2sv

It is really unique stone and I like it!

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Ah! @elizat So glad to see I have a spready pear friend :) Your ring is beautiful! LAD did you good :)

And wow, that Victor Barbonne ring its to die for :love: All of their vintage pieces seem to be so delicate and elegant...

tyty!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I don't think I have ever seen an oval quite like that. Do you know the cut? Merci!

sorry, no. It's just a photo that I had saved but I know nothing more about the ring.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does you finger show through when you rest the diamond on top? That makes quite a difference.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, good point. My skin does show through. It is really very shallow. Still deciding if TOO shallow, but for the moment I'm liking it. Will post photos in a moment.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Pictures!
The vendor recommended mounting it upside-down like a pseudo-rose (third photo). Not sure how I feel about that. Sorry for the awful yellow lighting.
20181015_183424.jpg 20181015_183502.jpg 20181015_183553.jpg

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You might consider a foil backing. Is it right side up in the last picture and upside down in the second? It looks like you have more skin show through in the second picture.

Maybe if you had something underneath to hide the skin. Personally I'm all gaga for Victorian half hoop rings, and some of them do have metal in the back.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Yup. Right side up in the first photo and upside down in the second.

I personally don't have a huge issue with the skin showing through. It's a lot less when not directly against the skin. Before this, I was looking at doing rose cuts with no backing.

I want to avoid foil because of oxidation, but I may consider a cupped back. Still unsure...

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I would definitely ask Caysie (CVB) to set this. She does absolutely delicious settings for rose cuts and old cuts, and I bet she could help you come up with the perfect way to highlight the stone and minimize windowing through to your skin. In looking at her rose cut settings, it seems there is some height off the finger so that light can get under the stone. I’m guessing the height of the setting would affect the way you can see (or not see) your finger through the middle.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for a the help! Deciding if the difficulties setting this stone will just mean I never get around to actually doing it haha. So maybe not worth it? Decisions to make...

Thank for all the help and feedback :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results