shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Is this worth it!

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
I’ve been searching for an Asscher and came across someone selling their ER. It’s EGL Certified but even if I sent it to GIA and it came back a clarity grade and color grade lower it might still be worth it. Asking price is 10k and I love the facet patterning that I can see.

Thoughts?

A30F4953-CF2A-435D-BBF2-B3F0E143728C.jpeg

3F0F35C1-2A52-4B7D-84B3-80DC7433F871.jpeg

Attachments

• 6417DDF2-0A74-48CC-B6BF-3FFFD1A9C416.png
    6417DDF2-0A74-48CC-B6BF-3FFFD1A9C416.png
    545 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That does look pretty special, filling to see what the experts say

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
That does look pretty special, filling to see what the experts say

Right? Could this actualy be my moment? Ahaha. I really wanted 2ct but there is something about that chunky windmill that I love and although I haven’t seen a video yet, the numbers fit into that of a well cut asscher!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Is it a natural diamond or lab-grown? The certificate doesn’t state, and EGL will grade MMDs, as far as I know. Looks pretty white for EGL G that could be about 3 grades off of GIA. Also, even by EGL standards, the polish and symmetry are only rated “very good,”. Is this a picture of the actual ring?

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the proportions. It looks like a really well cut asscher. I am no expert but it looks like you have found yourself a lovely stone.

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Is it a natural diamond or lab-grown? The certificate doesn’t state, and EGL will grade MMDs, as far as I know. Looks pretty white for EGL G that could be about 3 grades off of GIA. Also, even by EGL standards, the polish and symmetry are only rated “very good,”. Is this a picture of the actual ring?

Thank you. Yes, it’s the actual ring. Granted, different lighting can make a sone look whiter. Thank you for bringing up natural earth mined or lab, that is worth looking into. If it were lab grown though, I think that price would be way too high. Especially for a resale.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. Yes, it’s the actual ring. Granted, different lighting can make a sone look whiter. Thank you for bringing up natural earth mined or lab, that is worth looking into. If it were lab grown though, I think that price would be way too high. Especially for a resale.

Please know that I’m not trying to rain on your parade! Just looking out for you ...
I hope this find is exactly what you’re looking for

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Please know that I’m not trying to rain on your parade! Just looking out for you ...
I hope this find is exactly what you’re looking for

Oh no, I 100% thank you! You made me take a breath! I put more questions in about it. Part of me still wants to hit the 2 carat mark, especially since asschers face up small, but if this really what it says, I might grab it. I ran the report through a diamond broker and the stone holds a 8.2-11k value.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Granted, different lighting can make a stone look whiter.
Yep, there's a decided difference in the color of the (presumably same) wood table shown in the 2 pics in your original post due to different lighting conditions and/or differing manipulation of the "raw" photographs.

I wish that EGL report had not come out of the EGL lab in Israel as evidenced by the report number beginning with 2. For years -- before and after that 2006 report -- EGL Israel consistently had the worst reputation of any of the EGL labs overseas** for "generous" grading.

Would this be a final sale; if the vendor has a return policy, is it a reasonable one; is the vendor here in the US (assuming you live in the States), so that a return would be less expensive, less of a hassle for you than doing an international return?

** EGL USA broke free from the EGL network and became its own independent entity earlier than 2006; its reports are clearly branded as EGL USA.

Last edited:

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
833EEE2E-5D90-445F-9384-B539CC028BBD.jpeg
Yep, there's a decided difference in the color of the (presumably same) wood table shown in the 2 pics in your original post due to different lighting conditions and/or differing manipulation of the "raw" photographs.

I wish that EGL report had not come out of the EGL lab in Israel as evidenced by the report number beginning with 2. For years -- before and after that 2006 report -- EGL Israel consistently had the worst reputation of any of the EGL labs overseas** for "generous" grading.

Would this be a final sale; if the vendor has a return policy, is it a reasonable one; is the vendor here in the US (assuming you live in the States), so that a return would be less expensive, less of a hassle for you than doing an international return?

** EGL USA broke free from the EGL network and became its own independent entity earlier than 2006; its reports are clearly branded as EGL USA.

Thank you for your input! It is returnable but there is a 10% restocking fee. I do love the facet pattern in this stone. I’m not a “beat around the bush type” but since this is someone selling a used ER, the price is much lower than what I have seen of loose diamonds. When I bought my RB it had to be GIA XXX F Vs2 blah blah but for an asscher, my main thing is the facet pattern.

The ring I posted is what I would set it like. Apparently that ring has a 6.5 mm stone. Thins one is a bit bigger and I thought I wanted a 7mm but I also don’t want the ring to get too clunky.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
since this is someone selling a used ER, the price is much lower than what I have seen of loose diamonds.
Have you been able to find true comparables, i.e., of loose stones graded by EGL Israel/EGL International? I know the PS Diamond Search database does not include any stones with EGL reports (not even EGL-USA, which I do consider more reliable), and neither does the Rapaport database, available to those in the trade (and perhaps what the diamond broker you consulted relied upon to give his/her range of value).

If you use the Used Engagement Ring Price Look-Up feature on the website where this ring is listed, you'll see that the estimated resale value of a 14K WG ring with a emerald-cut, 1.81 center stone graded by EGL International as H-VS1 is $5,214. Change the grading lab to EGL USA and the estimated resale value is $7, 018. Make the grading lab GIA & the estimated resale value becomes $8,925 -- or about 70% more than the EGL International estimate of $5214.

Granted, these are rough approximations -- an Asscher is not one of the shape-cut options; they don't take take into account the baguette side stones, or the cut quality of any stone in a ring -- but it is a sadly graphic illustration of how dimly regarded an EGL report is :blackeye:

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Have you been able to find true comparables, i.e., of loose stones graded by EGL Israel/EGL International? I know the PS Diamond Search database does not include any stones with EGL reports (not even EGL-USA, which I do consider more reliable), and neither does the Rapaport database, available to those in the trade (and perhaps what the diamond broker you consulted relied upon to give his/her range of value).

If you use the Used Engagement Ring Price Look-Up feature on the website where this ring is listed, you'll see that the estimated resale value of a 14K WG ring with a emerald-cut, 1.81 center stone graded by EGL International as H-VS1 is $5,214. Change the grading lab to EGL USA and the estimated resale value is $7, 018. Make the grading lab GIA & the estimated resale value becomes $8,925 -- or about 70% more than the EGL International estimate of $5214.

Granted, these are rough approximations -- an Asscher is not one of the shape-cut options; they don't take take into account the baguette side stones, or the cut quality of any stone in a ring -- but it is a sadly graphic illustration of how dimly regarded an EGL report is :blackeye:

Hi Mollymalone,

Thank you thank you! When I am ready in a few more months, I’m sure I will be able to find a stone with a step pattern I love that’s 2carat gia certiffed. Using that new rare carat app I have seen 2 carat g vs2 gia certifies stones for 12-13k. Not a huge difference and a lot more stone.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friendly fyi: because (unlike PS) RareCarat relies on affiliate relationships, it's actually against PS policy to tout/refer to RC and other such sites:
https://www.pricescope.com/content/forum-policies
Imagine you're more likely to see a decent selection of Asschers in the PS Diamonds Search database, which does not include, e.g., Macy's, one of RC's affiliated retailers. I'm not certain anyone behind the counter at even Macy's flagship store in Herald Square knows what an Asscher is ;))

You can launch the PS Diamonds Search function either via the drop-down menu under the Resources tab or the basic function that's near the top of every PS page; once you access the Search feature, it's easy-peasy to make a more precise Advanced search, using various criteria as filters.
Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 11.31.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 11.31.39 AM.png
Hope you'll keep us posted when you again begin to make your vision a reality!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As @MollyMalone indicated, the grading report is suspect. You would be wise to make the purchase with the stipulation that it be sent to GIA. A diamond that was evaluated 12 years ago should be looked at again anyway. Even if you are prepared to buy the stone if it grades lower, you want to be confident in exactly what you are getting. I would also not be quick to agree to that re-stocking fee. Especially if there is anything of significance on the GIA report that differs.
Since there is an excepted potential difference of one grade between labs, you could agree to keep the stone providing the GIA grades it at least H VS2 , with no other issues of consequence (scratches, chips, ect).

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would confirm with seller of the 10% restocking fee refers to “change of mind” transaction rather than return because not as stated “you said it was G VS1 yet the GIA says I Si1!”. Personally I won’t deal with people who charge restocking fees. If you’re buying sight unseen, you should be able to return it (at your cost) for a refund if it’s not as expected. Realistically very few people buy on a whim and waste vendors time by returning.
It could be an expensive exercise for you to not like it or find it not as stated - paying for a lab report, paying for return insured shipping AND paying a 10% restocking fee!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paying on Credit Card might give added protection.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would confirm with seller of the 10% restocking fee refers to “change of mind” transaction rather than return because not as stated “you said it was G VS1 yet the GIA says I Si1!”. Personally I won’t deal with people who charge restocking fees. If you’re buying sight unseen, you should be able to return it (at your cost) for a refund if it’s not as expected. Realistically very few people buy on a whim and waste vendors time by returning.
It could be an expensive exercise for you to not like it or find it not as stated - paying for a lab report, paying for return insured shipping AND paying a 10% restocking fee!
Based on his post at #12, it seems that @Menlikediamondstoo has jettisoned the idea of purchasing this ring & won't care if a lurker buys it. So I now feel comfortable saying that this wouldn't have been a retailer-consumer transaction. The seller is
someone selling their ER
and she's listed it on HaveYouSeenTheRing
https://www.haveyouseenthering.com/
-- a go-between site similar to IDoNowIDon't (which charges a 15% restocking fee; IDNID buyers also pay a 2.5% commission on top of the agreed-upon sale price; I didn't see any mention of a buyer's fee on the HYSTR web site). One thing I just noticed upon returning to both sites is that you don't receive any kind of refund with a return of pre-owned jewelry to either outfit, but rather a credit for use in making another purchase through the site. HYSTR does, however, cover the cost of insured return shipping:
https://www.haveyouseenthering.com/used-diamonds-return-policy/

Perhaps things are different in Australia, but a consumer here in the States would be on shaky legal ground claiming the ring was not as described. The pic of the EGL report is considered part of the description; plus, this listing's text attributes the color and clarity grading to EGL. Absent an unforeseen switcheroo, Menlikediamondstoo would have indeed received that ring with the EGL report.

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again everyone! And @MollyMalone my apologies! I dont want to break any rules.

I’m going to stick to 2ct gia! I’ll let you know when the search officially starts!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again everyone! And @MollyMalone my apologies! I dont want to break any rules.
I’m going to stick to 2ct gia! I’ll let you know when the search officially starts!
No need to apologize! -- the disapproval of anti-affiliate website references in forum posts is kinda buried in the small print on the Policy page. Just was giving you a friendly heads-up :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results