shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! First time buying blue spinel for e ring

Cacambo

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers,

I got engaged recently and I'm looking for a quality blue spinel from 2 to 3 carats that I'm going to set in a simple bezel setting.

I'm quite open to all shapes but am leaning towards an oval. It's very important to me that the colour is top notch and that the stone will hold value and has a chance of appreciating over time. I've spent hours and hours researching and I feel like I'm becoming more and more confused.

My budget is 2000 to 4000 USD, I've found quite a few good looking ones that are on all levels of the price spectrum but not sure what the real difference is.

For example:
Really expensive at 4.5k
https://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/untreated_cobalt_spinel_2_93/11030/20629
C.2.5k
https://www.gemrockauctions.com/auc...ue-spinel-vvs-pear-top-color-sri-lanka-764746
Sub 1k
https://www.africagems.com/spinel-oval-1-96-20189728.html

Thank you for your help in advance!!!

Reactions: AV_

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, firstly, you can’t really hope to buy any gemstone expecting it to appreciate over time unless factors like scarcity/ more demand come into play.
Blue Spinel is an interesting gem but not on many people’s “shopping list”. People tend to prefer the blue tones of sapphires and Tanzanite.
Blue Spinel is also a tricky gem, it has a tendency to “black out” depending on the way the light hits it. So you get more glimpses of the lovely blue in certain light / angles rather than all the time / any lighting condition.
Cobalt Spinel is reasonably rare but synthetic Spinel can be found everywhere. The important thing is to have appropriate certification up front and buy from a vendor who allows you to return the gem for full refund if it’s not to your liking once seen in real life.
Wildfish gems and Africa gems are trusted vendors, though the Africa gems stone is smaller. I don’t know if anyone on Pricescope has bought from Gem Auctions but I believe it’s like eBay but just for gemstones. The seller I can’t comment on, I would recommend you ask to see what certification they offer and what their return policy is before proceeding.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Wildfish is always expensive but you know what you get and then some. If you want to safe money sign up for their newsletter and get 33% off and another 5% for wire payments, gets you close to 40% down. Also, if you look closer, their spinel is the only one that actually has a 'cobalt spinel' lab report, even if it is local but I bet they would get another report if you ask.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wildfish is always expensive but you know what you get and then some. If you want to safe money sign up for their newsletter and get 33% off and another 5% for wire payments, gets you close to 40% down. Also, if you look closer, their spinel is the only one that actually has a 'cobalt spinel' lab report, even if it is local but I bet they would get another report if you ask.
Where’s the link to the actual lab report? Can’t find it in the listing.

It looks very dark in the bottom picture on the hand.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To the OP, do you care if it color shifts? Some of these blue spinels do color shift to violet in artificial light.

I don’t think any of these stones contain cobalt, which is usually an element in a highly prized color of vivid blue spinel. That being said, not all true cobalt containing blue spinels are a beautiful color, and not all non-cobalt blue spinels are lacking in beautiful blue saturation. Unfortunately, the trade often uses the term “cobalt blue” to describe color, even on blackish and/or very gray stones.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Can you elaborate a little on why you chose spinel? Is it because you love spinels or because it’s more affordable than sapphire? If it’s the latter, you should know that a blue spinel is a different animal from blue sapphire. Most blue spinels have grey tones and have a metallic lustre that is unique to spinel. If you like the look of Montana sapphires, you’ll be fine.

So far I have never seen the type of cornflower blue we associate with sapphire. You can, however, get this type of blue in tanzanite (there are blue and purple varieties) at a lower price. Blue tanzanites are frequently mistaken for sapphire—which is why I asked if you really wanted a sapphire or a spinel.

The premium blue in spinel is a electric cobalt blue from Luc Yen, Vietnam. The color is unlike anything you’ll see in sapphire and the price per carat will wildly exceed sapphire too—it’s really a collector’s stone.

Lastly, spinel is pretty included. It’s hard to come by a spinel that is really clean, unlike sapphire, so while you can get a larger stone, expect imperfections.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peachick,
That was an excellent synopsis, but I respectfully disagree =)2 that blue spinel is pretty included. Many have very crystal appearances and if there are inclusions, they’re not distracting, or they’re not visible to the unaided eye.

Here’s mine, three carats and it has some negative crystal inclusions, but you cannot see them without magnification. You can see the inclusions if you look closely towards the center of the stone in this magnified image. This stone shifts to violet in artificial light. I own several blue spinels, it’s probably my favorite gem, I love their crystal appearance and luster. As you said, it’s a different animal than sapphire.

603BBCBF-69B1-4E52-AEF4-CD0F39F5DAEC.jpeg

Attachments

• 795B4060-7C63-44F4-872F-8888833B8C89.jpeg
    795B4060-7C63-44F4-872F-8888833B8C89.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 70

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Peachick,
That was an excellent synopsis, but I respectfully disagree =)2 that blue spinel is pretty included. Many have very crystal appearances and if there are inclusions, they’re not distracting, or they’re not visible to the unaided eye.

Here’s mine, three carats and it has some negative crystal inclusions, but you cannot see them without magnification. You can see the inclusions if you look closely towards the center of the stone in this magnified image. This stone shifts to violet in artificial light. I own several blue spinels, it’s probably my favorite gem, I love their crystal appearance and luster. As you said, it’s a different animal than sapphire.

603BBCBF-69B1-4E52-AEF4-CD0F39F5DAEC.jpeg

I stand corrected and it was well worth it to see this gorgeous ring posted! OP, this is about as perfect a blue spinel ring as it gets :mrgreen2:. Notice the stunning cut and how it doesn’t have the half-and-half blacking out (a very important point if you are getting an oval).

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
TL, the reports at Wildfish are in the 'more images' section.
OP, distinguish between 'Cobalt-blue' spinel (say's not much) and 'Cobalt-Spinel' (says the spinel is classified as true cobalt spinel). Small linguistic difference but big gemological and $$$ variation.
TL, love the crystals in your spinel (is that green?). Photo in sunlight? I'd expected a cobalt-spinel to be darker toned blue (extrapolated from the statistical average of two(2) that I have seen in person).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most blue spinels I've seen in person tend to have some green and/or gray, and also tend to be on the darker side. The very few intense (electric) blue I've seen tend to be smaller but I would gladly trade size for that Jedi colouration.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This blue WWW is the most beautiful blue spinel I know of listed anywhere now. (not that I am aspiring to know them all)

I would ask further here: WWW

Some bluish-lilac spinels can be very beautiful & I am not finding any listing off the bat (Africa Gem, New Era Gems used to have some).

Each type of stone comes in its range of colours, so it is worth knowing what the palette of natural possibilities is, to know what to expect...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, the reports at Wildfish are in the 'more images' section.
OP, distinguish between 'Cobalt-blue' spinel (say's not much) and 'Cobalt-Spinel' (says the spinel is classified as true cobalt spinel). Small linguistic difference but big gemological and $$$ variation.
TL, love the crystals in your spinel (is that green?). Photo in sunlight? I'd expected a cobalt-spinel to be darker toned blue (extrapolated from the statistical average of two(2) that I have seen in person).

Thank you, that is a photo in sunlight. The stone is blue in sunlight, and a tanzanite violet in artificial light. It is not a cobalt spinel that I know of.

Cobalts can vary greatly in terms of hue and tone in my experience.

Cacambo

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, than you so much for your wonderful responses!!! They have been so very helpful!! My apologies for the lack of response, for some reason I didn't every email notifications on every reply...

After trying some more rings, I have actually come to realize that my hand/finger (US size 5) isn't quite large enough for a stone that size / what I normally wear and am now looking for something more in the 1.2ct to 1.7ct range. I haven't been able to find much in the way of to notch oval spinels in this range so I'm now looking at both spinels and Montana Sapphires, as to @peacechick's comment above. I liked spinels because I really like the steely grey and I like how it shifts colour ( @T L ). Don't mind how they're cheaper too. ;-)

Am now quite attached to this one: https://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/unheated_montana_sapphire_1_23/20058

Can I trouble you collective experts on what you think of it? I've taken a look around the other websites listed on this amazing forum and I haven't found a similar one with the face-up, shape and clarity of this one but would appreciate any guidance before I pull the trigger.

Again, many thanks in advance, don't think I would have the confidence to attempt to build my own ring if not for this site.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems expensive to me, but I'm not an expert on Montana sapphires. Did you look at gemfix and master cut? And Earth's treasury?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You could try asking if this one is still available

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1682141895156901&substory_index=0&id=406564379381332

Whatever you buy, you should be ready for it to go down in price. There is quite a markup for retail -- which is often hard to recover when selling second hand. This problem often compounds once you set it, as second hand settings are just not worth very much at all. So whatever you buy -- make sure it is something which you will get your moneys worth purely from personal enjoyment (and if you do resell, be aware it will probably be at a loss perhaps 30-45%).

Last edited:

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
I like the 1.23 Montana best, and considering that they have the lab report ready to go, you have no extra hassle or doubt what you buy. Probably you can negotiate some discount. I like their settings as well. They all look pretty professional.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I love spinel, particularly the Cobalt blue. I visited Loc Yen a couple of years back. Over 1 carat and eye clean, these gems barely exist. My largest find was a 4mm round. Extraordinary color coupled with exceptional transparency (crystal). As Peacechick says, a collector's stone!
RWW

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Looks like somebody bought the 1.23 Montana. Was that you cacambo?

Cacambo

Rough_Rock
Hi Anne, very sadly, and no one sadder than me, someone bought it before I could!!!! I think I totally underestimated the publicity gained from this forum for the little stone and it's a lesson that I should secure my next stone before posting. :(2

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Cacambo,, they have a name for people buying up gems that pass the public test here, I can't remember where I saw it, it wasn't 'stalker' but something of the type.

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Cacambo,, they have a name for people buying up gems that pass the public test here, I can't remember where I saw it, it wasn't 'stalker' but something of the type.

If it was a house I would call it gazumping. I don't know if that works here as well?

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Nice setting, too. Great color.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just stumbled across this one on Westview gems. It is smalller than you were looking for and no oval but thought I’d share anyway. Steve is good about making quick videos if you ask.

http://www.westviewgems.com/Home/Detail/6642632

I am seriously considering this blue spinel. I was eyeballing it before I suggested it but was feeling guilty as I have spent enough $$$ this month! But if OP isn’t interested I might do it! :geek2:

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm....2-3cts, top color, cobalt spinel for $2-$4000 dollars. Can't be done.

The Top vivid colors in Co spinel are only found in a couple spots around Luc Yen. Of those spots(prospects) 99% found are sub carat in size. Top color(electric/hauyne blue)sizes 2cts and over, in the rough mind you, are only found a couple times a year, if even.
There are other blue spinel deposits around Luc Yen that tend to produce larger stones, and much more often. They can have a nice bright blue color, especially for Co spinel, but they still fall way short of the electric, hauyne-like blue. Most of the deposits of blue spinel around there, show some amount of Co present, however, the best colored ones have been shown to contain substantially more Co in them, when compared to the other Luc Yen Co spinel deposits.

Honestly, if I had the what's considered the top color that's found in Vietnamese Cobalt spinel, and it was 2-3 cts finished......well..... I would certainly ask for roughly the same price as the best colored Paraiba tourmaline fetch. $20,000-$60,000 per carat, give or take.
Even though I know the Paraiba will almost certainly have inclusions.
Even though I know the Paraiba will not be as applicable in jewelry project, specifically rings
Even though I know Paraiba has a lower R.I. than spinel, and doesn't sparkle or shine as well.
Even though I know Paraiba has a grossly inflated value based on hype and ignorance.

On the other hand.....

The hauyne-like blue spinel have it all, for the most part, with....
~ a rarity that makes colored diamonds actually seem plentiful
~ a hardness that makes it applicable to all types of jewelry projects.
~ an R.I. that puts Paraiba tourmaline to shame
~ being the best color chromophore in the gem and mineral world.
It takes so much less cobalt to make good color, than it would with any other chromophore, especially when compared to chromium, copper, or iron.
~ a level of clarity and lack of inclusions comparable to sapphire, thus fulfilling the basic function of cutting gemstone, so as to bounce as much light back to our eyes as possible
~ and having basically the best color blue you can find in the world of Blue colored gems

These traits all add up to form a gemstone that should be the epitome of what we all strive to find in a gemstone The embodiment of what a world class gemstone or gem deposit should be.
What hinders these Co spinelfrom becoming the next Paraiba, the next hot gemstone on the market.......
~ is the lack of supply readily available, first off
~ and secondly, its in the small sizes that the best colored ones are almost always found in

This blue spinel rough came up for sale today. Its from Luc Yen, Vietnam, and tops out at 18.80cts. Very clean and well shaped for yield. Not sure what to do,.....Keep it, cut it, or sell it as is, in the rough, were Gier's thoughts about it. Instead of searching for the perfect engagement stone of your dreams, and instead make the stone of your dreams a reality. have one of our local custom cutters make the stone the way you want it.
FB_IMG_1550962982030.jpg
FB_IMG_1550963000732.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results