shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Dating this Vintage Ring?

heymckate

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I would love some help dating this ring. Main diamond is 1.85 G SI1, unpolished girdle. The setting is gold, and it was originally yellow gold--somewhere down the line, someone decided to dip it. The prongs for the side baguettes were replaced recently because the originals were worn out and the baguettes were loose, but I have not made any other alterations.

Caveat regarding the next bit of information: I am *NOT* an expert! These are just observations.

The setting seems reminiscent of some 1930s settings, maybe up to 1950s. The setting also has some minor flaws, which suggests "older" to me (for example, in some photos you can see a small indentation next to a baguette). However, and I could be wrong, the diamond doesn't look Old European Cut to me. Between all that and the unpolished girdle, I'm stumped. I've heard of transitional diamonds, but I'm not familiar enough to judge the difference between that and a modern round brilliant.

So with all that said... what do you all think? The ring isn't going anywhere, the setting isn't changing... this is all to satisfy a bit of my own curiosity surrounding this really unique ring. Thank you in advance!

IMG_0706.JPG IMG_0701.JPG IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0697.JPG IMG_0695.JPG IMG_0694.JPG IMG_0693.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0706.JPG
    IMG_0706.JPG
    597 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    782.5 KB · Views: 17

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah that looks very early MRB with those thin arrows, bigger table and flatter crown and the setting is looking more retro/50s than deco since it’s set relatively high and that always reminds me of the retro settings. It does look like it’s been repaired at some point in the picture of the underside of the basket.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any owner history you know of? Sometimes this helps in terms of date and location where it was made.

heymckate

Rough_Rock
Any owner history you know of? Sometimes this helps in terms of date and location where it was made.

Nope. I actually found it at a store that sells jewelry sold to pawn shops nationwide. So there is no telling where it came from.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a pretty ring, I've never seen baguettes that are set on such a steep slope like that.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d say 1970s maybe 1980s, there was a trend for really high set rings back then. That said, someone’s personal taste for such a setting could have been anywhere between 1960s and last year!

heymckate

Rough_Rock
I’d say 1970s maybe 1980s, there was a trend for really high set rings back then. That said, someone’s personal taste for such a setting could have been anywhere between 1960s and last year!

How would that account for the unpolished girdle though? I originally assumed the same, but to my knowledge very few diamonds in more recent decades were left that way, especially those without much color.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The apparent wear shown on the basket in the last two photos is unusual - it makes me wonder whether the diamond is loose in the setting, or might have been at some point? L

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
How would that account for the unpolished girdle though? I originally assumed the same, but to my knowledge very few diamonds in more recent decades were left that way, especially those without much color.

It may be that the diamond is not original to the setting. The setting is definitely belonging to or evoking the "Retro" era of jewelry. The diamond may be earlier than the setting.

heymckate

Rough_Rock
The apparent wear shown on the basket in the last two photos is unusual - it makes me wonder whether the diamond is loose in the setting, or might have been at some point? L

I suspect the same, as does my jeweler, though it isn’t currently loose. We believe some repair work was done on it at some point. Given the state of the baguette prongs previously, this ring was not always well-cared for.

Thanks so much for all the opinions and thoughts. Keep ‘em coming! This is so interesting, and I’m learning quite a bit! I appreciate you all.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is why I love the three stone baguette setting...hard to pinpoint era and as such is near- timeless.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just a total guess from looking at a lot of jewelry but I want to say either the 50's or 60's...the top view of the prongs are giving me pause because they make me think 40's...I would say MRB. It's really pretty! I love it.

lap32

Rough_Rock
If I had to guess I would say late 1940s to early to mid 1950s. The prongs look like a 1940s ring but the complete setting with baguettes looks very 1950s.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results