shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Choosing ACA from Whiteflash

gomgom

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am looking to get an engagement ring. This is my first real diamond purchase and while researching came upon this forum and Whiteflash. I am looking at ACA Rounds and was looking at these:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...37185,4035772,3978032,4011136,2708999,3788899

Budget is ~15k, "mind clean" is a thing for us. I had been looking at ACA, 1.0-1.4, F-H, VVS2-VS2. Likely will be on their Exquisite Half Round setting.

Brittany at Whiteflash suggested a few and among them is this one which I reserved:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4035772.htm

hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-ags-104101323041-idealscope-150183.jpg

hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-ags-104101323041-aset-150185.jpg
hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-ags-104101323041-hearts-150184.jpg

I would love to get your opinion on this diamond and whether there are any other suggestions. Should I worry about that feather or the pinpoints not shown?

Appreciate any input!

Attachments

• hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-ags-104101323041-hearts-150184.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 7

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All spectacular diamonds!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello,

I am looking to get an engagement ring. This is my first real diamond purchase and while researching came upon this forum and Whiteflash. I am looking at ACA Rounds and was looking at these:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...37185,4035772,3978032,4011136,2708999,3788899

Budget is ~15k, "mind clean" is a thing for us. I had been looking at ACA, 1.0-1.4, F-H, VVS2-VS2. Likely will be on their Exquisite Half Round setting.

Brittany at Whiteflash suggested a few and among them is this one which I reserved:

I would love to get your opinion on this diamond and whether there are any other suggestions. Should I worry about that feather or the pinpoints not shown?

Appreciate any input!
There's certainly nothing wrong with the one you reserved, but if you went with this one I'm linking, you get 1.5 cts bragging rights. ::) And it's still within budget. Anything at VS1 is not going to be a problem. And almost nothing at VS2 will either. You can have them eyeball it. Tell them you want it totally eye clean from any angle at any distance. But again, it's rare (though it can happen) that a VS2 will not be eye clean.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4042791.htm

beardog

Rough_Rock
They're all beautiful but for 1k more the size jump on Ellen's pick would be very tempting

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-ags-104101323041-idealscope-150183.jpg

hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-ags-104101323041-aset-150185.jpg

Appreciate any input!

I agree w/ Brittany. I like the proportions on this stone. The images are very good. And look at the video -- IMO, it has that extra sparkle. But honestly, a 34.5 crown with 40.7 pavilion is such a sweet, sweet spot and what I prefer so I am probably a little biased.

While all your choices are excellent, if I were choosing for myself and limited to these selections this is the stone I would also choose.

There's certainly nothing wrong with the one you reserved, but if you went with this one I'm linking, you get 1.5 cts bragging rights. ::) And it's still within budget. Anything at VS1 is not going to be a problem. And almost nothing at VS2 will either. You can have them eyeball it. Tell them you want it totally eye clean from any angle at any distance. But again, it's rare (though it can happen) that a VS2 will not be eye clean.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4042791.htm

I certainly like getting to the 1.5ct mark; however, I have to ask if you have seen the various colors and if you are okay with an H? I only do so because of my own experiences. I bought my fiancee an H VS2 super ideal thinking she would not see any tint. Turns out she is very color sensitive and sees tint but is not bothered by it. For this reason I would prefer a D/E if I were buying for her again, but would likely not consider anything less than a G. Especially since some report that AGS color grading may be a little softer than GIA.

Also, while it's a somewhat minor thing I don't really like the 79 LGF's. Smaller numbers means fatter arrows which I like better, so while not much difference exist I'd rather have 75-77.

If you don't mind spending a little more money, here is something between the two:

1.43 G VS1 - $14,269
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4008482.htm

Again, has that gorgeous 34.5/40.8 combo. And with 77 LGF's. :love: :love:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree w/ Brittany. I like the proportions on this stone. The images are very good. And look at the video -- IMO, it has that extra sparkle. But honestly, a 34.5 crown with 40.7 pavilion is such a sweet, sweet spot and what I prefer so I am probably a little biased.

While all your choices are excellent, if I were choosing for myself and limited to these selections this is the stone I would also choose.

I certainly like getting to the 1.5ct mark; however, I have to ask if you have seen the various colors and if you are okay with an H? I only do so because of my own experiences. I bought my fiancee an H VS2 super ideal thinking she would not see any tint. Turns out she is very color sensitive and sees tint but is not bothered by it. For this reason I would prefer a D/E if I were buying for her again, but would likely not consider anything less than a G. Especially since some report that AGS color grading may be a little softer than GIA.

Also, while it's a somewhat minor thing I don't really like the 79 LGF's. Smaller numbers means fatter arrows which I like better, so while not much difference exist I'd rather have 75-77.

If you don't mind spending a little more money, here is something between the two:

1.43 G VS1 - $14,269
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4008482.htm

Again, has that gorgeous 34.5/40.8 combo. And with 77 LGF's. :love: :love:
I have to assume you're actually asking the OP, and it was in the specs they listed. Most people would be fine with H, most people couldn't tell the difference unless comparing with other stones, especially at 1.5 and under. Also, while I get the LGF thing, it's really splitting hairs, and can mess with not only the OP, but lurkers reading the threads. :wink2:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a beautiful diamond.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to assume you're actually asking the OP, and it was in the specs they listed. Most people would be fine with H, most people couldn't tell the difference unless comparing with other stones, especially at 1.5 and under. Also, while I get the LGF thing, it's really splitting hairs, and can mess with not only the OP, but lurkers reading the threads. :wink2:

Yes I was asking OP. I'm not saying an H is yellow by any stretch but H's do have a very minimal amount of tint. Many buyers haven't seen stones in person and going by recommendations of others which is why I asked the question.

Additionally I agreed about the 79 LGF's being minor and pre-faced that in my initial post. The OP has the luxury of having only awesome choices. When you have that luxury, IMO, you have to nitpick fine details to get to a final decision.

I'm sorry if this offended you. It was not meant that way, and I do think your choice was great as it helped the OP get over the 1.5 carat mark and for much cheaper than the 1.43ct G I posted.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I was asking OP. I'm not saying an H is yellow by any stretch but H's do have a very minimal amount of tint. Many buyers haven't seen stones in person and going by recommendations of others which is why I asked the question.

Additionally I agreed about the 79 LGF's being minor and pre-faced that in my initial post. The OP has the luxury of having only awesome choices. When you have that luxury, IMO, you have to nitpick fine details to get to a final decision.

I'm sorry if this offended you. It was not meant that way, and I do think your choice was great as it helped the OP get over the 1.5 carat mark and for much cheaper than the 1.43ct G I posted.
Thank you, but no, I wasn't offended at all. ;)) But I used to post in here a lot, (that's where the majority of my post count came from) and I saw people start to get confused when people started posting super picky/personal preferences (I even did it myself a few times). It's stressful enough for most to buy on line, I just hate to make it even more so. And most aren't going to realize small nuances in color (and sparkle), especially if no one mentions it.

Last edited:

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just because I'm a huge fan of CBI (high performance diamonds), I'd suggest looking at their choices as well, since they are within budget.

This one is another potential choice https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10008

I second this! If you can afford to go with a CBI, by all means do it! They are incredibly beautiful and their fire and scintillation make them appear larger than their actual measurements. Whiteflash ACAs are quite beautiful as well, but IMHO there is an intangible factor with CBI diamonds that can't be captured by the specs. They have an amazing bench, too, so you can purchase the stone and setting in one fell swoop! I noticed that this particular CBI is currently reserved (hopefully by you!), but if you are interested, I would definitely inquire! You can't really go wrong with any of these choices, though, so try to enjoy the process as much as possible, and please keep us posted on what you decide!

gomgom

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your input! When looking at rings in-person we looked at F, G, and H color diamonds. We did notice (and she was bothered by) tint for H!

Right now, we will likely go with the one I have reserved, or the 1.4 WF ACA linked. We will look into CBI diamonds too. The one linked was not reserved by me! :)

I noticed that the one I have reserved doesn't have a Sarine Report. Is there any reason to ask for this? (For future use, insurance, selling if needed, etc.)

I will be sure to let you all know what we decide!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your input! When looking at rings in-person we looked at F, G, and H color diamonds. We did notice (and she was bothered by) tint for H!

Right now, we will likely go with the one I have reserved, or the 1.4 WF ACA linked. We will look into CBI diamonds too. The one linked was not reserved by me! :)

I noticed that the one I have reserved doesn't have a Sarine Report. Is there any reason to ask for this? (For future use, insurance, selling if needed, etc.)

I will be sure to let you all know what we decide!
Honestly? No, not with this diamond. It's killer cut, no worries. It's going to be blindingly beautiful. The 1.43 would be also. Either way you win! ::)

So glad you got to go looking in person, that's always helpful. Please come back to this thread with the ring if you don't mind, I'd love to see it. :appl:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you guys looked at some stones. Just out of curiosity was the stones you looked at actual WF ACA's or were they from a local jewler. It the latter it was probably GIA. I ask because some believe AGS may be just a smidge softer on color grading. I'm not sure I buy into that as color grading is subjective anyhow as it's done by humans looking and comparing against a master stone set.

Also, super ideals like WF ACA's can look slightly bigger and face up slightly whiter because of their superior cut.

As far as the Sarin report, WF will provide you one if requested. This is one of many things that make WF awesome. They absolutely will get in the weeds of details if you want that! For a guy like me, I would want it but I think 99% of consumers don't care about it, want it or know how to read it. My thoughts would be why not if you can get it but I agree the stone will blow your socks off and you don't "need" it for resale, etc.

gomgom

Rough_Rock
I'm glad you guys looked at some stones. Just out of curiosity was the stones you looked at actual WF ACA's or were they from a local jewler. It the latter it was probably GIA. I ask because some believe AGS may be just a smidge softer on color grading. I'm not sure I buy into that as color grading is subjective anyhow as it's done by humans looking and comparing against a master stone set.

Also, super ideals like WF ACA's can look slightly bigger and face up slightly whiter because of their superior cut.

As far as the Sarin report, WF will provide you one if requested. This is one of many things that make WF awesome. They absolutely will get in the weeds of details if you want that! For a guy like me, I would want it but I think 99% of consumers don't care about it, want it or know how to read it. My thoughts would be why not if you can get it but I agree the stone will blow your socks off and you don't "need" it for resale, etc.

The ones we looked at were at Tiffany's and not WF ACA. Hopefully it is comparable!

Since it's not a big deal for them to provide one, if we go with the one on hold I will ask for it. I like having that kind of stuff even if I don't use it for anything :)

Thanks again all!

gomgom

Rough_Rock
Just to update. Got the ring. Proposed. She said yes :)

I might be seeing what I want to see... But I feel like it's sparkles a lot regardless of lightning!

20181201_140807.jpg

Thanks for all the help!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! But... Only one pic?:whistle:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A beautiful classic! :love:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats - it is beautiful but we definitely need more pictures!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
yayy.gif

Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results