carat
color
clarity

Help, I scratched my New Tsavorite?

marshmellowluver

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I just made my first colored gem purchase and it is a lovely tsavorite that I'm hoping to put into a moi et toi ring. Upon receiving the stone I tried it on with those temporary tension ring to see how it would look when worn. I've only dealt with diamonds before this so I didn't know that this might harm the stone - I know they are less hard vs diamonds but I thought they should be fine being tried on this way.. So after I popped the stone back out my heart sinked where there is a white scratch from when the prong hits, and when I saw ut under 10x loupe, it looks like a nick :cry2: I love this stone and its the perfect cut and size for my project.. is there any way to save this stone? Maybe a repolish? I will try to add photos soon but any thoughts will be much appreciated. Thank you!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have the same problem with tsavorite. I have a small feather on the crown. I was told to set the stone and don’t repolish the stone.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I just made my first colored gem purchase and it is a lovely tsavorite that I'm hoping to put into a moi et toi ring. Upon receiving the stone I tried it on with those temporary tension ring to see how it would look when worn. I've only dealt with diamonds before this so I didn't know that this might harm the stone - I know they are less hard vs diamonds but I thought they should be fine being tried on this way.. So after I popped the stone back out my heart sinked where there is a white scratch from when the prong hits, and when I saw ut under 10x loupe, it looks like a nick :cry2: I love this stone and its the perfect cut and size for my project.. is there any way to save this stone? Maybe a repolish? I will try to add photos soon but any thoughts will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Why not just set it and have a prong cover where the nick is? You won’t see it anymore if you do that.

marshmellowluver

Rough_Rock
Premium
Here are the pictures.. hopefully will help see the "scratch better" thankfully I dont think it affects the stones appearance as far as I can see.. would really love to know my options though thank you!

20181216_113004.jpg

Screenshot_20181216-113130_Gallery.jpg

20181216_113040.jpg

marshmellowluver

Rough_Rock
Premium
I have the same problem with tsavorite. I have a small feather on the crown. I was told to set the stone and don’t repolish the stone.

Thank you @pwsg07 - could you take a look at my nick and maybe see if that looks similar to yours? Thanks for the help!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, if I looked at all my gems with a loupe, I’d cry my eyes out. Many of my favorite gems have nicks and scratches due to wear, and if anyone has a tanzanite they love, never ever loupe it!!! Those gems are prone to micro craters like crazy!! If it’s not distracting or noticeable with the naked eye, I would leave it as is.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The nick is on the pavilion and after it is set it will not be seen face up. The feather on my stone is on the crown. It is very tiny and colorless. It is only visible under the loupe

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not going to be noticeable when set and it’s not affecting the structural integrity of the stone so I’d leave it be.
Take care when using those gem holder rings.
And yes, louping your gems once set in rings you’ve be wearing can be very disheartening, small abrasions and nicks do happen unfortunately.

marshmellowluver

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @T L @pwsg07 @Bron357

Your comments are reassuring and this is definitely a learning experience for me. I will try to not worry too much about it anymore esp since it wont affect the structural integrity/ appearance of the stone. I will just focus on enjoying it more and now know to be more careful with it moving forward. Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results