shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP: CER or a truly vintage OEC?

Mixtress

Rough_Rock
Premium
The wait is over, I am finally getting a proper engagement ring this spring! My husband and I didn't have much financially when we first got married so I have been wearing wedding bands only for these past few years.

I was set on a MRB but seeing all the gorgeous OEC/OMC on Pricescope as well as on the page of the @ringconcierge on Instagram has had me converted to an antique lover.

I know I want to work with Victor Canera for the setting, it's going to be a more streamlined version of classic vintage styles I have seen online (photos attached below). A solitaire style with NSEW prongs and a wee bit of bling along the shoulders and basket.

The thing is, I can't seem to make up my mind on whether I should get a CER from Victor or purchase a true antique diamond from Old World Diamonds. I don't like to feel like I am wasting another person's time, so won't reach out to the vendors unless I am sure I want to work with them. Here are my thoughts on both vendors...

Getting a CER from VC:
+ Diamond is pretty much guaranteed to be beautiful, it is cut to perform well
+ Benefit of working with one vendor for diamond and setting
+ Small discount on setting if I purchase my diamond from him
+ Excellent upgrade policy. I do want to get a bigger diamond down the road. Ideally a 2-2.5 carat.
+ As per the upgrade policy I can also switch back to a MRB one day if I don't love the CER.

Getting a OEC from Old World Diamonds:
+ A truly unique, one of a kind, vintage diamond
+ I LOVE the history behind vintage stones! I love wondering where it's been, whose owned it before me, etc.
+ Let's face it, I am a size ho; biggest benefit would be the ability to get a bigger diamond right off the bat

Our budget is $15K in total. $11-12K for the center stone, leaving $3-4K for the setting. I would like the diamond to be as white as possible, if it's a CER probably nothing lower than a H. As for truly vintage stones, I guess nothing lower than an I or J (?). I keep reading that they hide their color better? Ideally, I would like a diamond with a spread of or close to 7.50mm.. makes it roughly 1.60+ carats Please advise me on what you think would be the better choice. Thank you.

P.S. I know some of you might ask why not maximize most of my budget on the diamond and have it placed in a temporary setting. I have waited so long for this ring, almost 6 years, so I want it to be perfect. I want to absolutely love both the diamond and setting. Even though I do see an upgrade in the future it's most likely going to be another 5+ years, not earlier.

Screenshot_20180522-192758~2.png
Screenshot_20190218-224822~2.png

Q

Queenie60

I would suggest you take your time to decide. Maybe have Adam send a stone to you for viewing, stare at it for a few days and decide if it's for you. I don't know what VC's policy is on "checking out" a stone. This is where I would start.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello @Mixtress, OK so you have 2 amazing options here and there truly is no right or wrong answer. It depends on what *you* prefer and love and want to wear. I am firmly in the old charm romantic school here and for me it's old european cut all the way. And Adam is a dream to work with and a wonderful person and wants his customers to be happy with their diamond choices. I would not hesitate to recommend him for a dream OEC or OMC or anything old cut.

Victor Canera is also a dream to work with and a lovely person and I also cannot say enough good things about him. I do not have any experience with his newly cut old cuts but I believe there are many happy customers. I just have no personal experience with his newly cut "old" cuts.

I say call them both and speak with them and tell them what you are looking for and what your budget is and see what they have to show you. The best way to do this is see as many of the two different cuts in person and in many different environments to decide which cut makes your heart go pitter patter the hardest. For me that answer is easy but for you it might be entirely different.

Also check out both their IG pages. Lots of lovely bling to drool over there as well. But nothing beats seeing these in person.

Good luck and enjoy the search! Happy old cut hunting.:love:

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Take your time deciding but my vote is more a modern cut vintage diamond. I love OECs, but really like how consistent the cut is, and how well calculated the cuts are for things like light return.
But, if you want something that’s a true antique, with history, and cut before a time when computers told us what would look best (kind of romantic, no?) than go for the real OEC.
Either way, see both in person prior to mounting, ideally side by side, so you can decide with your own eyes.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m with Missy, you really need to see OEC/OMCs in real life. I was convinced I wanted an ACA last year, till I went to OWD with Missy. Adam brought out an array of stones, and that was it. I was totally converted, and ended up with Bella, who’s an L.

I love the history, the romance, the beautiful colour, but they’re not for everyone, so you really need to see for yourself before deciding. Please come back and let us know how you get on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results