clarity

Great New Diamond Science at GIA Symposium

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lots of interesting stuff there thanks for posting.
As I recall GIA has mentioned a few times working on auto clarity grading, the additional information is interesting even in buzz words.
The summary is its hard and they have a very long way to go even for vss calls much less vs-si even harder si1/si2 splits which are going to be I would say 10 million times harder.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lots of interesting stuff there thanks for posting.
As I recall GIA has mentioned a few times working on auto clarity grading, the additional information is interesting even in buzz words.
The summary is its hard and they have a very long way to go even for vss calls much less vs-si even harder si1/si2 splits which are going to be I would say 10 million times harder.
Yes.
1. above VS depends on inclusion size.
2. SI and below depends on the relative size of the inclusion relative to the size of the diamond.

I have followed some of those patents too. I think OctoNus are ahead by virtue of showing and plotting diamonds. Plus some of their patents that I have had a small part of to digitize inclusions into 3D easily transported formats from their LBox / DiamCalc formats really can make clarity grades redundant. Adding in transparency and bang!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats on DiBox v2 will comment more when I have time to look into it more.
Has training been addressed? I would say that a large majority of images from DiBox online are taken not using the machine properly.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats on DiBox v2 will comment more when I have time to look into it more.
Has training been addressed? I would say that a large majority of images from DiBox online are taken not using the machine properly.
\\

Please send links to such Dibox images.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is a link showing recent examples:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...p-to-see-if-the-stone-has-obstruction.245420/

Stray light in the scopes, the wrong background for IS images and poor centering on heart images are the biggest things I see most often.

1)what is "Stray light" in the scope? Sorry, I do not know such slang .
2)re:wrong background for IS images
We can not push Dibox1.0 clients to use white IS background if they do not like to do it.
it has not any connection with training
3) this sample has not H&A images. ASET extra blue zones under crown do not come from small tilt in this case. it has to be different reason for such extra ASET blue zones.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats to @Serg and Octonus for being featured.

This is an intriguing statement about the ViBox 2 :
Controllable long-wave ultraviolet (UV) diodes, along with full-spectrum-visible light-emitting diodes (LEDs) create different lighting conditions (indoor, outdoor, lab, UV-free), revealing the impacts of UV fluorescence on diamond transparency and color.

Can we get more details on the 'controllable UV diodes', and how the impacts on diamond transparency are revealed?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats to @Serg and Octonus for being featured.

This is an intriguing statement about the ViBox 2 :
Controllable long-wave ultraviolet (UV) diodes, along with full-spectrum-visible light-emitting diodes (LEDs) create different lighting conditions (indoor, outdoor, lab, UV-free), revealing the impacts of UV fluorescence on diamond transparency and color.

Can we get more details on the 'controllable UV diodes', and how the impacts on diamond transparency are revealed?

To see a difference in color depends from UV you need check diamonds with strong fluorescence .
See for example : https://cutwise.com/diamond/23986?sp=56
Usually UV light( 365nm) increases brightness and improve color
Screenshot 2018-12-14 19.11.25.png Screenshot 2018-12-14 19.11.33.png
Very rarely UV reduces brightness of colourless diamonds .
Of course UV light makes worse colour of fancy yellow colour diamonds .

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Texas Leaguer
re: Can we get more details on the 'controllable UV diodes',

In Dibox2.0 we use white LED( CRI 98 ) and UV LED ( 365nm). we can mix its in any proportion .

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Texas Leaguer
re: Can we get more details on the 'controllable UV diodes',

In Dibox2.0 we use white LED( CRI 98 ) and UV LED ( 365nm). we can mix its in any proportion .
@Serg, A couple of questions come to mind. First, the white LED is presumably some variation (color temp) of full spectrum daylight. Yes?

What is the objective in 'mixing' the UV LED? The daylight already has those wavelengths in natural proportions.

Is there a reason that you use 365 nm UV other than this is the standard in use by GIA and others? Garry continues to insist the higher wavelengths toward and into the VV stimulate stronger fluorescent emissions than the 365. Is that your view as well?

If so, what might be more useful than the ability to mix 365 UV with the white LED would be to have a broader spectrum UV/VV source that could dial the wavelengths up or down, if that is feasible.

Your thoughts?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Texas Leaguer
Shortly( Too late in Finland)

A daylight has UV of course, but white LED light has not any UV.
365nm is most important for diamond Blue Fluorescence .
see some details https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/summer-2013-luo-fluorescence-optical-defects
Short UV sources with broader spectrum are very expensive( total solution start from 5.000-10.000$)
@Texas Leaguer @Garry H (Cut Nut)
Sorry, I did mistake . In Dibox2.0 we use 385nm. 385nm creates higher excitation of diamond blue fluorescence than 365nm . ( the difference is just in LED power that you need, the result is same. )

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Texas Leaguer @Garry H (Cut Nut)
Sorry, I did mistake . In Dibox2.0 we use 385nm. 385nm creates higher excitation of diamond blue fluorescence than 365nm . ( the difference is just in LED power that you need, the result is same. )
Thank you Sergey for the correction.
Lou G&G 2013 state that 395nm creates the most emissions.
The more important fact is that there is more of these UV energy around us than 365. Therefore the beneficial whitening is all around us.
The next thing to tick off with fluorescence is that of transparency.
Lou G&G 2013 mention that yellowish fluoro can occur at the same time as N3 blue fluoro. I expect we will see that this results in pale blue to whiter fluoro and I do not believe there is such a thing as a fully transparent white fluoro diamond.
Where is Michael Cowing?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you Sergey for the correction.
Lou G&G 2013 state that 395nm creates the most emissions.
The more important fact is that there is more of these UV energy around us than 365. Therefore the beneficial whitening is all around us.
The next thing to tick off with fluorescence is that of transparency.
Lou G&G 2013 mention that yellowish fluoro can occur at the same time as N3 blue fluoro. I expect we will see that this results in pale blue to whiter fluoro and I do not believe there is such a thing as a fully transparent white fluoro diamond.
Where is Michael Cowing?
Garry,
What is the basis for the assertion that there is 'more' 395nm around us?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also modern windows coatings are much more efficient at blocking 365 than near 400.
The vast majority of uv from sunlight in a house will be near 400.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results