shape
carat
color
clarity

Got beaten to my diamond - need alternatiive

shells19

Rough_Rock
Very much a newbie so please go easy! My fiance and I settled on a budget of 18-19K for a
Round Brilliant, excellent cut, 2.5 carat, min I colour, eye clean, preferably GIA cert. I had this diamond picked out and mused over it for a week or two while i searched online some more:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-6420881

I finally decided this was the one for me but I shared the link with a couple of online diamond bloggers for their opinion before taking the plunge - unfortunately when i tried to purchase later that day the stone was gone. Price was 19,560 by the way - a little over budget but thought it was worth it.

Did i miss out on a good deal or is my disappointment misplaced? Would anyone care to suggest an alternative stone?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, that was not a well cut stone at all. You should try to stay within these parameters:

Depth no more than 62.3
Table 55-58
Crown angle 34-35
Pavilion angle 40.6 - 40.9

That stone had a crown that was way too shallow and a pavilion angle that was way too deep. I think you might have to readjust your budget or size requirement for a better cut diamond.

This is a super ideal cut stone from a PS vendor. You don't have to go to this level of precision if it blows the budget but it gives you some idea of pricing for a very well cut stone and some images to compare to.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4018659.htm?source=pricescope

And last but not least - welcome to PS!! Please come back with any other stone you might be considering - there are lots of helpful and knowledgeable folks here that would be happy to help you vet a stone!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very much a newbie so please go easy! My fiance and I settled on a budget of 18-19K for a
Round Brilliant, excellent cut, 2.5 carat, min I colour, eye clean, preferably GIA cert. I had this diamond picked out and mused over it for a week or two while i searched online some more:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-6420881

I finally decided this was the one for me but I shared the link with a couple of online diamond bloggers for their opinion before taking the plunge - unfortunately when i tried to purchase later that day the stone was gone. Price was 19,560 by the way - a little over budget but thought it was worth it.

Did i miss out on a good deal or is my disappointment misplaced? Would anyone care to suggest an alternative stone?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
You had a lucky escape - that stone is not well cut.

You should look for stones within these parameters:

Table 54-58%
Depth 60-62.4%
Pavilion Angle 40.6-40.9 degrees
Crown Angle 34-35.5 degrees

When Pavilion Angle increases, Crown Angle should decrease, and vice versa - i.e. 40.6p with 35.5c, but 40.9p with 34c.

Use the HCA tool under the Tools tab at the top of the forum - scores under 2.0 show stones that are worth a more detailed look. (Some stones up to perhaps a score of 2.5 might also be worth a look.) Each stone will need assessing on an individual basis.

EDIT: lol - I see the range I've posted is a bit wider than MGR's range! :lol: Ultimately it is a guide, as is the HCA tool, but both assist in sifting out stones that have potential from the vast number that don't :)

EDIT 2: The search tool is currently showing only three stones that might be of interest and would fit within the PS-recommended ranges:
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds...=1&pageview=24&adv=true&days=100&cert_number=

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @shells19 - and welcome! Please read right to the end of this post, as the diamond I think is ideal for you is at the very end.

No, you didn't miss out on a thing, Yes, the stone is spready, but the stats are *very* poor and the faceting pattern is, as a consequence, messy and unappealing. Personally, I think you dodged a bullet. The stone was big and cheap for a reason.

On the other hand...it was spready! I think it's unlikely that you'll find a good I colored stone in that price range. How wedded are you to a 2.5ct stone? There are 2 well cut stones on JA, but they're both SI2 - tho I suspect eye clean. If a stone is eye clean, it makes no difference to me personally if it's an SI1 or an SI2, tho some may feel differently.

One in particular - a 2.31 F SI2 - is *very* nice, but it's 8.45mm, not 9.05. On the other hand, its sparkle will give it more visual size, and it's WHITE. It's also some thousands below budget.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...f-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-6411815

This one is a 2.4ct H SI2 - so again, whiter, and is 8.7mm. I'm pretty sure this one would be eye clean also. And its cut stats, while not quite as good as the F one I posted above, are streets ahead of the one you were considering:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5599772

Are you willing to consider a J colored stone? This 2.59 J SI1 is quite nice - not super ideal in its stats - but its faceting is very clean and pretty and I like a high crown, so it works for me. It's in budget, and I'm pretty positive it would be eye clean:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-6406796

Here's a nice one on Blue Nile. It's a 2.51 J SI1:
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

Then there's this one. It's also a J, but it's nice and clean - a VS1 - and 2.54ct:
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

But having said aaaaalllll that - I think this is the stone for you. It's a J VS2 - so it's nice and clean. It's what they call a 60/60 stone - which gives excellent spread and good light return. It has very good stats and an HCA score of above 1 and below 2 (exactly what you're looking for). It's 1/10th of a mm smaller than your first stone, which is below the level you'd be able to discern.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4910431

Since it's a shallow stone, it won't show as much color, and since it's SO much better cut than the one you were looking at, it will have much better light return and, ergo, look whiter.

I truly think this is the one for you. I wish you well in your hunt.

shells19

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply and the welcome. My goodness this is a minefield!

So a GIA triple x does not guarantee a great cut I guess. Excuse the crassness of any of my questions but note that this search started out with 'Will you marry me?' Yes, I'd love to' 'What ring would you like' 'Um . . . . I guess a nice plain round one' :loopy: So I am trying to educate myself as I go along, it's all I can do! :lol:

Would someone of my 'caliber' lets say, appreciate the difference between an excellent cut and a super ideal cut? I assume the super ideal would sparkle more? The stone I had picked would be dull?Obviously, like everyone, we would like to get value for money while still having a lovely diamond. I'm just wary of paying for specs that perhaps a professional or knowledgeable person could appreciate but little old me couldn't . . However I appreciate all the advice I can get and will adjust my search accordingly if needs be =)2

I will certainly return if I find another stone to have it vetted!

Thanks again!

shells19

Rough_Rock
Guys, you are fantastic! I should have come on here sooner. Thanks. I'm getting ready to sit down and check all those stones now

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, not dull necessarily but you wouldn't get all there was to be had with the diamond you had picked - if that makes sense. Yes, there is a difference between a super ideal cut stone and a well cut stone but whether or not that matters to you is just personal preference. Are you able to look at some well cut diamonds? First and foremost, you probably need to try to determine how color sensitive you are - clarity too although sometimes an SI1 stone can be great - depending on the location and types of inclusions that exist in a particular diamond. At any rate, just make sure before you purchase that the vendor has an excellent return policy so that if you find and buy one that doesn't please you, you can return or exchange for something else.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@shells19 -

None of the diamonds I recommended for you are super ideals. My own position is that 99% of people can't tell the difference between an ideal cut stone and a super ideal cut stone.

So the ones I recommended for you are all solidly in the ideal/triple ex category, but not in the super ideal category. The stone you posted, in my opinion, should NOT have been a triple ex stone and will have poor light return, making it look flat, small, and possibly dull. And yes, 'even someone like you' would have been able to tell the difference.

Seriously - good luck to whoever snagged that stone. Be thankful it wasn't you.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also just wanted to come back and say - PriceScope has an enormous amount of traffic. Once experienced posters start posting stones for newcomers, they can fly off the rack, so to speak. So be aware, the same thing may happen to any of the stones we post as happened to you earlier. If you see something you like, put it on hold.

shells19

Rough_Rock
Great, thanks.

I'm not married to a 2.5, no. But I do like the idea of having a nice sized diamond on a plain super thin platinum band. 4 prongs. Zero fuss. That way I can add some nice/different bands in the future. I have a size five finger.

Those F and H diamonds are eye clean? Good to know. I never would have realised that.

Blue Nile seems to light their stones more favourably than James Allen? Their J's look whiter? Just an observation!

I'll chat with my fiance about them all when he gets in.

I have tried on a number of GIA triple X rings here in Ireland. The selection and price points just aren't on par with the US. I'm visiting a friend in Chicago in a couple of weeks so ideally plan to have a diamond ordered and delivered to her home before I arrive so that I can easily return it from there if it's not suitable and then go shopping in a couple of stores in Chicago if needs be (hopefully won't come to that).

Has anyone had any experience with brilliance.com?

shells19

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that Mrs. B

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just factor in that you will have to pay the VAT on your ring/diamond on your return from the US @shells19.

L

lydial

I would ask the PS experts opinion on these because I am not an expert! Just a novice but I like the search...

1) This is a little bit outside of your price range but it has the 2.6 size, I color and it is in the PS parameters (depth is a little high due to the high crown), you would have to contact them for a video / ASET / Q's re: being eye clean due to the clarity grade SI2...

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-2.6-carat-i-si2-yd5477170

2) This one has similar parameters, it is also right in your budget and whiter (G) but smaller (2.22 ct). The video shows the major inclusion on the side which is nicer than right in the middle I think?

https://www.fourmine.com/shop/diamond/1688102?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

3) Another 2.2 ct, I color, no picture, good parameters, UNDER budget - you would need to request video / ASET:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R220-41942074Z?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

If you ever plan to "upgrade" buy an "ACA" from Whiteflash or a CBI diamond from High Performance Diamonds. They have the best upgrade policies.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great, thanks.

I'm not married to a 2.5, no. But I do like the idea of having a nice sized diamond on a plain super thin platinum band. 4 prongs. Zero fuss. That way I can add some nice/different bands in the future. I have a size five finger.
Here is a 2.05ct (8.15mm) on my daughter's 4.75 size finger. It doesn't
look that small. IMG_0187.JPG

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the reply and the welcome. My goodness this is a minefield!

So a GIA triple x does not guarantee a great cut I guess. Excuse the crassness of any of my questions but note that this search started out with 'Will you marry me?' Yes, I'd love to' 'What ring would you like' 'Um . . . . I guess a nice plain round one' :loopy: So I am trying to educate myself as I go along, it's all I can do! :lol:

Would someone of my 'caliber' lets say, appreciate the difference between an excellent cut and a super ideal cut? I assume the super ideal would sparkle more? The stone I had picked would be dull?Obviously, like everyone, we would like to get value for money while still having a lovely diamond. I'm just wary of paying for specs that perhaps a professional or knowledgeable person could appreciate but little old me couldn't . . However I appreciate all the advice I can get and will adjust my search accordingly if needs be =)2

I will certainly return if I find another stone to have it vetted!

Thanks again!

This video compares two GIA triple XXX ... I seem to like this video ..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results