shape
carat
color
clarity

Given: two corundums...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, so here is the piece of good news. Two corundums I once bought at a show proved to be “as sold” (unheated, certified by AGL). One from AJS, the other from a vendor whose name I totally forgot. I feel so bad, he honestly told me he did not know the level of treatment as the stone was uncerted, and charged fair price. I would like to remember who it was. He is not on our list and I never saw him mentioned anywhere, but he was really honest.

So because this ruby had a really nice color and strong fluorescence, I assumed it was probably heated, and some cutters commented on my fluorescence in the sun photo in the sense that such stones are usually heated.

AGL cert came back as unheated. I did not ask for the origin for two reasons, a) I did not expect anything specific, and b) to me, the color means more than the origin, and the stone is very nice. I think it is African.

The corundum is as is, not cheap by any means, but at least it seems with AJS, the stones look similar to the picture, and they are as stated. Nice to know trusted vendors, and thank for the stones.

So, two pears, one is a 1.17 ct, the other, 1.99 ct and they both look plump.

What should I make? Just a ruby ring? A wide bypass ring with diamonds? A pendant?

Attachments

• 5BD59FAD-F1C4-496A-AD37-76D34C84EBEF.jpeg
    5BD59FAD-F1C4-496A-AD37-76D34C84EBEF.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Photos just taken in my room. I can’t get out and show the fluorescence (the ruby belongs to “beautiful in all lights” group). The sapphire is nicer IRL, less dark,

Attachments

• FDDD254A-727E-479C-A765-36EB5868BEEE.jpeg
    FDDD254A-727E-479C-A765-36EB5868BEEE.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 50
  • AA4DC403-B12E-4B55-A484-9270CBF7E735.jpeg
    AA4DC403-B12E-4B55-A484-9270CBF7E735.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 56
  • C0020EFA-A3EA-46E9-A0B5-5E746B98D758.jpeg
    C0020EFA-A3EA-46E9-A0B5-5E746B98D758.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 56
  • A477FD32-3052-4016-8784-D755E1E15F17.jpeg
    A477FD32-3052-4016-8784-D755E1E15F17.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 52

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I can make a bypass with wide span and diamonds around, or a “necktie” pendant. I have many pendants but end up not wearing them. As to a bypass, I never used the concept but could be a nice color combo. Or something else?

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These are gorgeous. I like the idea of a bypass ring. I'm usually not bold enough to try something dramatic, but I would be tempted to do so, with these two gems. The colors are incredible, to my eyes.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stones! Love the bypass ring idea the best - those pears are similar in shape, size and saturation they'd be fabulous in a two-stone ring! If it were me, I'd just do perhaps a tiny single-cut diamond halo around each of them, just to highlight the magnificent gemstones... what a fun project to plan!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
One ring I cannot get out of my head involves two pears & a round too small by 'three stone' standards: www Given two pears, I would set them wide end to wide end with something small inbetween, perhaps something like this www for yours given colors & proportions.

No quibble with a fantastic bypass, of course! In fact, the two intense/deep yellow diamonds are small & perfectly matched by cut & slightly miss-matched by colour - not unlike your spectacular pair.

I'd dear studs.

2p

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

Attachments

• 35081DC8-E88F-4D2D-979C-F494070F6793.jpeg
    35081DC8-E88F-4D2D-979C-F494070F6793.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 48

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One ring I cannot get out of my head involves two pears & a round too small by 'three stone' standards: www Given two pears, I would set them wide end to wide end with something small inbetween, perhaps something like this www for yours given colors & proportions.

No quibble with a fantastic bypass, of course! In fact, the two intense/deep yellow diamonds are small & perfectly matched by cut & slightly miss-matched by colour - not unlike your spectacular pair.

I'd dear studs.

2p

I saw a yellow diamond. )))
I was thinking of a “necktie” pendant and after considering yellow and white diamonds, it seems that white is better

Now, a lariat-type pendant with a ruby, a blue pear and a WD pear is also an idea.

ETA: as to the first ring, I have something similar with one YD and two pear diamonds on the sides.

Studs I don’t wear...

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would have picked earings, something like this

But set a bit differently.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ivy New York does tons of multiple stone rings. I would look to their Instagram page for inspiration. Gorgeous stones, and congratulations on the AGL report findings.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I vote for gorgeous bypass. Congratulations on the lab results, both look so juicy that I think they should be set side by side. I also like @PreRaphaelite's idea, but would avoid the necktie thing.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have picked earings, something like this

But set a bit differently.

they are gorgeous,and I love how they pull two different stones into a set, but mine are not quite equal in size.
There is a way out . Setting a tiny yellow diamond on top of the ruby could equalize the length. I have one.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are screaming to me to hang on, find an emerald and then make a "big 3" halo drop pendant, ordered by size.

Ahh, what great stones

Amoline, thank you, but probably not an emerald. (I do have a teardrop emerald, though). But - in my case, better not to match something you can put into an US cleaner with something you can not.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ivy New York does tons of multiple stone rings. I would look to their Instagram page for inspiration. Gorgeous stones, and congratulations on the AGL report findings.

Thank you, TL. A compliment from you always fills me up with pride )))

As usual, you are a great judge of people. ;-)

The ultimate reason for the post - I finally certed a bunch of stones.

One unheated ruby (a surprise), one unheated sapphire (as expected), two heated only sapphires (no surprise).

One of the heated ones, of a juicy color, is to be set into an antique brooch, replacing its generic pearl, and I expect it to look lovely. Can’t wait for the jeweler to start and finish the job.

And I got back the certificate for a pink topaz that was sold as “no way heated” but is low heat. (I should blame myself - this is what PS and Google are for, to weigh the statistic probability of buying an unheated pink Brazilian topaz at a busy show, and not fall for vendors’ words). I shall make a separate thread about that darn stone. I so like topazes, probably the biggest topaz fan on the PS.

Last edited:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
they are gorgeous,and I love how they pull two different stones into a set, but mine are not quite equal in size.
There is a way out . Setting a tiny yellow diamond on top of the ruby could equalize the length. I have one.

I actually think this difference is going to be slightly less obvious in earings, as they will never be right next to each other. And thus any disparities will be harder to spot.

I would even have considered hanging one point up, and the other one point down (but it totally depends on how this would look in real life, as it may have ended up being too asymmetric).

I am worried about the size being a bit smaller than I would have liked for drop earings though -- I think they would need a relatively large halo (which may add to the expense, and also there is a limit on how large a halo you can put on them before it overwhelms the centres). I probably would have mishmashed several of ivy new yorks designs to come up with a nice balance/design.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually think this difference is going to be slightly less obvious in earings, as they will never be right next to each other. And thus any disparities will be harder to spot.

I would even have considered hanging one point up, and the other one point down (but it totally depends on how this would look in real life, as it may have ended up being too asymmetric).

I am worried about the size being a bit smaller than I would have liked for drop earings though -- I think they would need a relatively large halo (which may add to the expense, and also there is a limit on how large a halo you can put on them before it overwhelms the centres). I probably would have mishmashed several of ivy new yorks designs to come up with a nice balance/design.

You are right. Something like Ivy’s type, or the opposite - point to point. Point to point would obscure the size difference (it ends up being the difference in length mostly),

Regular bypass with the stones being set E-W, with a band between them, does not require absolutely identical stones, though.

There is one more idea. Two rows of halo around the ruby (one diamond, one ruby) and one row around the sapphire. Or using graduated melee around the ruby.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm a sucker for graduated halos! I think that would be quite interesting.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a sucker for graduated halos! I think that would be quite interesting.

I looked up bypass rings on Pinterest. It seems that vintage creators were pretty inventive. They’d use (probably, synthetic) ruby or sapphire halos of graduated sizes.

Another creative group was the one that would set colored diamond. Because you have to deal with whatever differences you had. It seems they would orient pear diamonds at angles, and stick some melee of different sizes in between.

I have two smaller rubies, 0,4 and 0.7 ct and one pink sapphire of 0.7 ct. Never knew what to do with them. So I could go this route, too.

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for bypass ring, some examples from antique to modern on Pinterest:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would make a vertical ring, a “stoplight” type, with a round diamond in the middle. Or else a two stone also vertical with one pointing up and one down and a diamond halo. I’ll look up pics in a bit when I’m at my computer.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i’d lean towards toi ei moi of some sort.
The specialness of your stones overrides the mismatched outline shape that usually comes as a first concern, IMO. The mismatched pear shapes in the ring you’ve most recently attached attests to this- and moreso though the ring setting itself is different of each pear to make it flow.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You are right. Something like Ivy’s type, or the opposite - point to point. Point to point would obscure the size difference (it ends up being the difference in length mostly),

Regular bypass with the stones being set E-W, with a band between them, does not require absolutely identical stones, though.

There is one more idea. Two rows of halo around the ruby (one diamond, one ruby) and one row around the sapphire. Or using graduated melee around the ruby.

I probably would not do a double halo on one stone only. I feel that this would just highlight the disparity and make the design more asymmetric (while giving the vibe that you actually wanted a symmetric arrangment).

Have you looked at TL's blue and mahenge pear spinel bypass? You are going to end up with something very similar -- it will be much easier than trying to imagine then end result.

There are some imaginative bypass options out there, so if you do go this route there are plenty of options. Raymond yard and graff have both made some nice ones.

Attachments

• images.jpeg.jpg
    images.jpeg.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 78

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably would not do a double halo on one stone only. I feel that this would just highlight the disparity.

Have you looked at TL's spinel bypass? You are going to end up with something very similar.

There are some imaginative bypass options out there, so if you do go this route there are plenty of options.

Tons of imaginative bypasses.

Interestingly, here are the dimensions,

Sapphire. 7.7 x 6.7 x 4.99

Ruby 6.44 x 6.75 x 3.7

So the bases of the stones are the same, the difference is in the length.

In this case, a diamond band with one stone above, and one below, could also be fine.

Reactions: AV_

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes you are not short on options. A bypass with one stone above the daimond band and one below will probably work nicely.

You could also do a ring like this

but it would require you to wait and collect a diamond to set in the center.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results