carat
color
clarity

General Cost of Setting This Stone?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
4557B635-55B8-453B-AB0E-9ACAC47CDB58.jpeg

Dear all,

I’m hoping to set a newly acquired emerald 10mm x 8mm into this Stuller type style of setting (14k rose gold, very simple 4 prong, no accents, size 5.75 finger). See above photo.

I’ve never requested bench work before and thus wanted to get a general estimate from you all as to how much you think the setting and the work would cost? That way when I go out to visit some benches I know what general ballpark price is perhaps reasonable.

Note: I live in San Francisco, not the cheapest city perhaps :wall:

Many thanks as always! You’ve all got me truly hooked on colored stones now; there’s no going back!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some places might charge $50. Some places might charge $100.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Some places might charge $50. Some places might charge $100.

@chrono Thanks for the lightning fast response! And what about the cost of the setting itself, in your vast experience? Unfortunately I’m not able to see prices of/purchase Stuller settings myself.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I hope it's more on the $50 side, but depending on how deep the stone is, it may go up to $150. No more than $150 though.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@voce Thanks for the helpful price cap! And how much would one expect to pay for the setting itself?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the average cost is about $50 but my jeweler charges $20-$30 to set a stone. Just make sure they’re someone that knows how to set colored stones, and not just diamonds. Also make sure to explicitly tell the jeweler NOT to ultrasound clean or steam clean the ring once it’s set. That kind of cleaning can be detrimental to an emerald. Jewelers are infamous for using those machines after they set a stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone here in PS has the ability to check on the price of the Stuller setting. The shop gets a wholesale price from Stuller, then adds whatever markup they usually do, so it's difficult to say how much a shop might charge.

My off the top of the head guess would be $300 to $400.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@T L Thanks for the valuable tip about cleaning—I will let them know to avoid that!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@chrono Thanks for the estimate! Would you say that I probably should perhaps cap my price for a setting like that at maybe say $600? (That if it’s beyond that then perhaps I should look for another bench and a more reasonable markup?)

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think $400 or less is what I expect the setting to cost. Anything over $450, you could expect diamonds in the setting itself.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@voce Thanks!!! Are you thinking of setting the beautiful stone in your profile pic?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@FlashyFlamingo Thanks for the great tip! I just checked out the website. I see they set stones for only $30. But I didn’t see a place to buy a ring setting. I’m assuming that I’ll need to purchase my own setting and then send both stone and setting in to get their service?

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Hi, is this for the non calibrated stone you mentioned in a different thread?
If so, might be best to check with bench if this will work with the dimensions of your stone, including depth.

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
@FlashyFlamingo Thanks for the great tip! I just checked out the website. I see they set stones for only $30. But I didn’t see a place to buy a ring setting. I’m assuming that I’ll need to purchase my own setting and then send both stone and setting in to get their service?
I believe they can order stock settings. They are very easy to work with so it might be worth giving them a call.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooh I hope you're talking about the lovely one you bought from me! I can't wait to see it set!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can see Stuller setting prices via a link from Love Affair Diamonds:
https://loveaffairdiamonds.jewelers...nSource=3C_Recs_NonRichRely#/mounting-options

You could also inquire with her about setting fees.

Alternately, if you prefer not to ship your gem, then try Nick Engel. I've never had them set anything, but they did a good job resizing a ring for me at a reasonable price. I also got a quote from them a while back regarding a brooch conversion and the cost was about the same as David Klass, another jeweler known for his very reasonable prices.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@JPie Thanks for your help! It’s nice to know how much this setting actually costs! I’ve just submitted the inquiry. Let’s see what happens!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Kevin Bryant Replied to you in the other thread as well. Again wanted to say very grateful for your reveal of “secret trade knowledge”!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish they would say how many grams the setting is. You don’t wanna be paying nearly $500 for 14 karat gold if it’s only going to be 2 or 3 grams. This is not a custom piece, but mass produced.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well Stuller will set your stone (via sent by jewelers/tradesman) one setting I looked up was around $60 to set, but doesn't account for shipping cost there.
If you buy from the jeweler direct I'm sure their markup is included in the whole set perhaps? I know that setting is including markup... so If I were you, just ask if stone setting is included? (doubtful)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can Stuller be trusted to set an emerald?
Good question... I have no idea I haven’t tried with any gems but the service is available. Anyone have experience with Stuller setting outside gems?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish they would say how many grams the setting is. You don’t wanna be paying nearly $500 for 14 karat gold if it’s only going to be 2 or 3 grams. This is not a custom piece, but mass produced.
Stuller's online pages thoughtfully provide the weight of all its mountings -- it's the first item under Specifications (the bottom half of the page). But first, select the shape-size of the center stone, the alloy you'd like, and your finger size so you'll see the most accurate weight, given in both pennyweight (DTM) and grams. That #122089 mounting in 14K rose gold for an 8 x 6 mm emerald cut, in finger size 5.75, will weigh just under 4 grams.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
* * * I’ve never requested bench work before and thus wanted to get a general estimate from you all as to how much you think the setting and the work would cost? That way when I go out to visit some benches I know what general ballpark price is perhaps reasonable.
Note: I live in San Francisco, not the cheapest city perhaps :wall:
Many thanks as always! You’ve all got me truly hooked on colored stones now; there’s no going back!
Since we've lured you into the fabulous world of colored stones and the CS forum :dance: & this ring seems unlikely to be your only venture of this sort, I'm going to suggest that you look to build a relationship with a local jeweler-bench rather than make Stuller pieces long-distance transactions.

My neighborhood go-to has retired (much to my sad dismay), but because I'd fostered a relationship with him by, e.g., asking him to do minor repairs, buying some modestly priced items for gifts & generally chatting with him, he would sell me Stuller mountings at little more than his wholesale price and set my colored stones for a reasonable fee. So for those pieces of jewelry, it eliminated another round of shipping a stone or the mounting back and forth. AND he was a great resource with whom to confer, before purchasing, about an eBay ring or semi-mount I was considering (saved me from a couple of mistakes I would have made if left to my own devices). I wouldn't have commissioned him to make a platinum heirloom ring, but Stuller settings are a good value & a fine choice imo for less "ambitious" projects.

I'd sure like to think that there's at least one such "bonding" possibility for you in San Francisco. Fingers crossed!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results