shape
carat
color
clarity

Fun with fossils: belemnite!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted about this on the opals thread, but wanted to make a different one rather than thread jacking.

Recently discovered that belemnite opals exist and am now obsessed. It's essentially fossilised opal from an ancient squid (ancestor of octopuses we have today). I am strangely drawn to octopus, and almost got a tattoo of one. I just think they are amazing animals. I also love opal and anything old, so the combination is awesome.

I've discovered that the nicest ones are VERY expensive. Like 5-10k expensive. So I have been trying to find smaller ones with good color play, and thought you all might enjoy the adventure!

Fell in love with this one until I saw the price tag! Pic for those who don't like links 56ac252df00b6.jpg

https://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/stunning-red-198-carat-belemnite-575496

Same thing happened here:
578c3ef7157dc.jpg
https://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/135-ct-brilliant-gem-601639

For options I can actually afford, theres this one (which the seller will polish/cut since right now it's being sold as a specimin for someone else to cut). Price is under $1500

These 2 are another semi option. The smaller one is in budget, but the bigger one is almost 1k more. But of course the bigger one is my favorite.

Finally, this one katherine.jpg
2.jpg
Barely in budget, but big. Waiting for video of it.

The least expensive one I'm considering. But I don't think I like it as much.
1 024 [1600x1200].JPG 1 023 [1600x1200].JPG

Thoughts? Haha I won't be offended if anyone just thinks it's dumb to spend $$ on something like this. But it combines things I love, so I'm obviously enamored!

Attachments

• katherine.jpg
    katherine.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 30

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
Personally I love these! They have been a favorite of mine since my paleontology class requirement in college! :mrgreen2:. I find them to be fascinating. I believe mastercut gems may have some :kiss2:. You can always email and ask.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those are so pretty and unique! Thanks for sharing-- I had no idea they existed.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I love these! They have been a favorite of mine since my paleontology class requirement in college! :mrgreen2:. I find them to be fascinating. I believe mastercut gems may have some :kiss2:. You can always email and ask.
Thanks, I reached out to them!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher Haha those are great

What do you think of the choices I have so far? Any stand out as good or bad? @Sunshinelab

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are pretty cool! I like them.

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
I really like them all, but I worry with the cracks I think I see in the last one on you first post. If you find a broken one, I love the idea of setting it to look like the metal fills the crack (is that possible? Like some Japanese pottery that makes it look even more beautiful (I hope I’m thinking of the right pottery). My favorite is the Instagram one, but that might be in perfect lighting too.

I very much trust mastercut gems, and think if they have something you’ll get not only a beautiful one, but it will also be priced in a way that is fair for both the seller and buyer. Not that it would be unfair elsewhere, I just have developed relationships over the years=)2 and tend to stick with a few vendors.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like them all, but I worry with the cracks I think I see in the last one on you first post. If you find a broken one, I love the idea of setting it to look like the metal fills the crack (is that possible? Like some Japanese pottery that makes it look even more beautiful (I hope I’m thinking of the right pottery). My favorite is the Instagram one, but that might be in perfect lighting too.

I very much trust mastercut gems, and think if they have something you’ll get not only a beautiful one, but it will also be priced in a way that is fair for both the seller and buyer. Not that it would be unfair elsewhere, I just have developed relationships over the years=)2 and tend to stick with a few vendors.
Yeah, I totally agree that it would a great piece/price from mastercut. But I also like the aussie vendors I found and trust them as well. The instagram one is my favorite too, but I just don't have 6K to spend on it! I contacted the vendor to see if they have any smaller pieces in budget. So really the only options (as of now) are the last few I posted in the first post.

Agreed about the last one in my first post. It's not my favorite, but still considering. Thanks for the help!

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
I also like the second to last one, but I’m wondering something with it... the hands look wet (or very well moisturized) if it is wet it might not be polished or may be more rough than you’d like (or maybe it was being polished). Wetting rough opal can allow you to see color better, because it can be dusty. It’s just something that stood out in the pictures =)2

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the second to last one, but I’m wondering something with it... the hands look wet (or very well moisturized) if it is wet it might not be polished or may be more rough than you’d like (or maybe it was being polished). Wetting rough opal can allow you to see color better, because it can be dusty. It’s just something that stood out in the pictures =)2
yeah, I agree! I asked for a video and will likely get it over the weekend!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I posted about this on the opals thread, but wanted to make a different one rather than thread jacking.

Recently discovered that belemnite opals exist and am now obsessed. It's essentially fossilised opal from an ancient squid (ancestor of octopuses we have today). I am strangely drawn to octopus, and almost got a tattoo of one. I just think they are amazing animals. I also love opal and anything old, so the combination is awesome.

I've discovered that the nicest ones are VERY expensive. Like 5-10k expensive. So I have been trying to find smaller ones with good color play, and thought you all might enjoy the adventure!

Fell in love with this one until I saw the price tag! Pic for those who don't like links 56ac252df00b6.jpg

https://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/stunning-red-198-carat-belemnite-575496

Same thing happened here:
578c3ef7157dc.jpg
https://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/135-ct-brilliant-gem-601639

For options I can actually afford, theres this one (which the seller will polish/cut since right now it's being sold as a specimin for someone else to cut). Price is under $1500

These 2 are another semi option. The smaller one is in budget, but the bigger one is almost 1k more. But of course the bigger one is my favorite.

Finally, this one katherine.jpg
2.jpg
Barely in budget, but big. Waiting for video of it.

The least expensive one I'm considering. But I don't think I like it as much.
1 024 [1600x1200].JPG 1 023 [1600x1200].JPG

Thoughts? Haha I won't be offended if anyone just thinks it's dumb to spend $$ on something like this. But it combines things I love, so I'm obviously enamored!
totally memorizing
like something out of science fiction (that's ment as a compliment )
what are you planning on having it made into ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A pendant. Design will depend on the size of the piece. Thanks!!
awsome !
those gems are so other worldly
i hope you find a reasonable big piece for an unaffordable price

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
number 2
but number 1 has lovelly colour

voce

Ideal_Rock
Love the colour play on 2 better, but 1 is shaped more like a long squid tentacle.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the colour play on 2 better, but 1 is shaped more like a long squid tentacle.
Haha good point. I never thought about whether I care about how long it is. I wanted it somewhat "pipe" shaped, but beyond that I didn't care too much. But I need to consider that!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Definitely the short, wide one!

What are its dimensions?

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
I love the short wide one too. They are both gorgeous =)2

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure, but it's 15.38ct
Should make a nice pendant, but before moving forward it might be a good idea to check how brittle and/or soft that material is. The irregular shape could make setting problematic if it's any different from the normal opal we are more familiar with.

Jomana

Rough_Rock
Welp, now I have a new obsession :rodent: I would err with better color play for opals generally, but the fossil itself is really cool. With this, I might choose the better fossil representation over color play, within reason, of course.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ugh, I wish I hadn't asked for a video of this one!
The shape is PERFECT and the color play is pretty darn good! Sadly it's over budget, but I wanted to see what an extra 1K could get me.

voce

Ideal_Rock
ugh, I wish I hadn't asked for a video of this one!
The shape is PERFECT and the color play is pretty darn good! Sadly it's over budget, but I wanted to see what an extra 1K could get me.

If you absolutely want this one, don't settle and ask for a layaway plan.

I am personally so reluctant to get big opals. What if they craze and dry up? They're so soft, I'd be afraid to wear them very often.

Does anyone have examples of how belemnites are set for wear?

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a new one on me! Thanks for showing us!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you absolutely want this one, don't settle and ask for a layaway plan.

I am personally so reluctant to get big opals. What if they craze and dry up? They're so soft, I'd be afraid to wear them very often.

Does anyone have examples of how belemnites are set for wear?

They are millions of years old (these particular ones), so I'm not worried about crazing or drying. But yes, I know they are soft and agree I'd have to be careful. I think if I were going to put anything on layaway, it would be this gorgeous piece.

The piece has a baby brother (or sister?) that is in budget, but it's not as perfect.

Also, here's an example of some jewelry:

Opal_pendant-84.jpg

dc8e22ea6817e577eb47d8944b42ac89.jpg

6007120dce4bc2502e26ee2d35f20401.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results