shape
carat
color
clarity

Fun with Fluorescence!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK, so this is a fun little game to play with your colored gemstones. All you need is a camera and a loupe with a UV light. (I got mine inexpensively on Etsy from FDJtools in Florida.) What is fun is that stones colored with chromium will fluoresce red, but if they have very much iron (like blue sapphire), the iron will block the fluorescence. Maybe somebody can explain it better than me! Anyway, the Mahenge spinels fluoresce really strongly and so does ruby, like in the center of my avatar ring. The demantoid garnets don't fluoresce. Feel free to post your own favorites too!!

P1030316.JPG
P1030328.JPG

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's a few more experiments:
P1030318.JPG
Weird orange fluorescence of Merelani mint garnet.
P1030327.JPG
Light blue Montana sapphire fluorescing a weak red. Cornflower blue sapphire, with more iron, didn't fluoresce.
P1030326.JPG
Lavender sapphire pops up nice and bright. Wonder what this says about its chromaphores? :geek: You can also see a diamond sidestone shining bluer than the others on the left.

Have fun, and please do post your own--both the ones that fluoresce and the ones that don't!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
P1030319.JPG P1030322.JPG
Sharing a photo of my new Tajik spinel from Gene (wowza!) and my spessartite garnet (weakly fluorescent if at all)...in the hopes I can convince somebody else to come out and play!

Have a fun weekend, y'all!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I don't have UV light, nor do I know how to take pictures like you did with one.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
fluor1111.jpg fluor111.jpg

I knew I had some...lol All Spinels.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a very low tech system. I have a cheap loupe with a UV light, kind of like this one: https://etsy.me/2Ng55G4. It was under $20. I put my camera lens right up against the loupe and shot the pictures. I held each ring on a black pencil laid on top of a fuzzy bath mat. It’s the fuzzy bath mat that gives that “studio” quality! :lol:

Thank you, Arcadian! Wow...the spinels really pop!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @MissyBeaucoup I just ordered that loupe! I will play sometime in the future.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I need a loupe, too, so thanks from me as well @MissyBeaucoup :) I've noticed this cool effect with UV light at my manicurist. My pink spinel eternity ring glows like crazy!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinels are awesome for fluorescence.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was on vacation and missed this thread. I will definitely come back to play.

I love the weird orange florescence on your mint garnet. Very cool! :cool2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clearly, your set up worked far better than mine. I found this to be quite the test of my patience. I have a UV pen but I couldn’t get the camera to show what my eye was seeing. It kept doing this weird red haze. So I bought a loupe with a up light right in it but found out that the light wasn’t strong enough. Sigh...:wall:

Anyway, I took a combination of pics. Some with the loupe and some with the uv pen. It was really interesting to see what colors showed up and how things could change based on the lighting. Very cool project overall. :D

My Merelani mint garnet showed up as a bright peachy pink. Plus there’s one very fluorescent diamond in there.
CA749D1B-E1CE-4AEE-B477-135AE86E225D.jpeg

My cobalt spinel ring was actually really cool. Several of them shifter to pink. Way stronger than this pic showed. The big one was really pink.
CB1F4831-F479-4783-826A-218628AE8E5A.jpeg

This one was a total surprise for me. This is my purple sapphire ring.
5BC1487E-FC4D-47EF-A285-FE32771B4932.jpeg

Big Blue didn’t do a thing...and I’m alright with that. :D
F5E60F30-40B6-4DA2-BE2E-56DF97B89842.jpeg

My pink spinel from @arkieb1 shows bright red.
2884AED9-7902-48F7-A070-1B6F64786CB7.jpeg
Same for my big mahenge from Caysie at CvB.
66560718-36D8-48F9-A69F-4667263A5A6E.jpeg

My teal tourmaline ring did nothing (but there were a couple fluorescent diamonds on there.
EB11E5BC-6D5A-47B9-A8EB-42A8E0CD4E38.jpeg
Here’s my paraiba with a pink spinel halo. Nothing really happens to the paraiba but the spinel light right up.
58A19B79-0706-420D-854B-62AAE28841C1.jpeg

I’m annoyed I couldn’t get this one right. This is a pink tourmaline center and two mint garnet sides. The pink tourmaline looked grayish and the mint sides were a bright peachy pink. :love:
8F8DB5C0-B06E-490F-8B2C-2BD52CCFBA93.jpeg
Nothing to see on my paraiba ring. A few diamonds in the halo were fluorescent but it didn’t show too well in this picture.
46228D11-0D43-4357-A96D-699A0571398E.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the last two...

Here’s my demantoid from Yvonne. The demantoid actually showed up kind of brown yellow but just looks black in my picture. The sides are pinky purple sapphires.
4ADD2A07-673F-49E9-B700-2F1A6B87EABD.jpeg

Here’s my purple garnet from Jeff White. It looked grey under the UV light but I had a surprise in store...
1C4221F7-D875-4B4E-AA4A-37C17A3386C2.jpeg

The sides had some fluorescent diamonds in play. The very top diamond shows as a pretty pink. It didn’t want to show up in the pics but this was the best one I managed. Ive never seen a diamond fluoresce pink before so that was cool!
F100017D-2746-44FA-A647-D0B631280EFB.jpeg

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @MissyBeaucoup I just ordered that loupe! I will play sometime in the future.

Yay! I’m looking forward to your pictures, @voce !

I need a loupe, too, so thanks from me as well @MissyBeaucoup :) I've noticed this cool effect with UV light at my manicurist. My pink spinel eternity ring glows like crazy!

Wow—I never thought of that! I was in the produce aisle looking at kale and noticed my pink sapphire was glowing like crazy. I don’t know what kind of lights they are using on those vegetables, but it made me smile! I hope you can snag a picture of your eternity ring next time, Leslie. :love:

Spinels are awesome for fluorescence.

Yes, the spinels are so impressive! @Arcadian you’ve got an amazing collection! I’m wondering—for those who have blue or gray or purple ones—if you get the same effect as the pinks.

I was on vacation and missed this thread. I will definitely come back to play.

I love the weird orange florescence on your mint garnet. Very cool! :cool2:

We’re glad you got a vacation, Elle! When you get rested up, come back out and play!

I hope the folks with garnets can find some other weird ones. That orange was a strange surprise!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, Elle! You just beat me to post your pictures. What neat effects you got!!

Who would ever dream that those cobalt spinels would fluoresce so bright! The peachy pink color of the Merelani mint is a big surprise too! And that demantoid daisy ring is so much fun to look at.

Thanks so much for sharing!! :appl:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I was actually pretty disappointed. Not many of my stones showed fluorescence. The first one was an unheated ruby from Precision Gem, albeit it was one that Gene cut from rough with both blue and red, so probably the iron covered up the fluorescence.
IMG_0125.JPG
Then, here are my melee rubies from Yvonne. I was a little pleased to be able to spot the chalkiness that comes from heat treatment Richard Hughes wrote of. Not too much fluorescence here since the chalkiness from the heat treatment covers it up.
IMG_0127.JPG
Next up was my ruby e-ring, which I hoped would not show chalkiness since it was sold as untreated. This picture was dubious and not very flattering, as it showed a color zone with no fluorescence, and the inclusions were very visible.
IMG_0129.JPG
Then I wondered, is that chalkiness in the bottom right corner? I hope not, but best to check for sure. A side shot from the right gave me relief. No chalkiness, just a trick of the light, whew.
IMG_0131.JPG
No chalkiness either from my unheated sapphire, though I don't know if it appears completely inert.
IMG_0132.JPG
It irked me that out of 32 little diamonds in my e-ring, just ONE fluoresced blue. Under normal light the diamonds look perfect, but under UV the fluorescent one looked mismatched, stuck out like a sore thumb! But then, I came here and saw that it's pretty normal to have a few fluorescent diamonds when it comes to halo rings. Jewelers don't check the little guys for fluorescence when they set them.
IMG_0135.JPG
But man did those Mahenge spinels glow! Well, all except for one of them. :confused2: It stuck out as well.
IMG_0138.JPG
Finally, it looked like all 3 of my little star sapphires were relatively weakly fluorescent. The black one just doesn't show it well on camera.
IMG_0137.JPG

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@voce You got such interesting results! I love your ruby e-ring! And the star sapphires have such a mysterious glow!

It was just as strange to me in my own experiment that some things you’d expect to fluoresce don’t. The idea that you could have enough iron hiding unseen but still blocking those wavelengths is pretty cool.

Thanks so much for all the fun photos! :wavey:

voce

Ideal_Rock
IMG_0178.JPG
Holley blue agate looks fluorescent. If it's not bright red it's because the red has to come out through the perinwinkle blue material!
IMG_0181.JPG
New pink star sapphire (top) looks fluorscent, more so than the purplish red star sapphire on the right there.
IMG_0182.JPG
Lastly, Burmese spinel melee in my chrysoberyl ring are more brightly fluorescent than my ruby.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@voce Thanks for the pictures! I wouldn’t have thought the blue agate would fluoresce pink. What a neat effect!

And those Burmese spinel are striking! How pretty! The ruby glows, but the spinel look like hot embers. Wow!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Nosean Let us see your pretty colored diamond!

Does anyone have new purchases to share?

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bumping up this thread for @Rubybrick , who is considering a pretty ruby today.

Does anyone have any new stones or photos to share? I am especially curious about your sapphires in the continuum of purple toward ruby, especially of African origin. Usually the blue iron chromaphore will quench any fluorescence so blue sapphires won’t fluoresce and pink ones will.

How interesting! :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results