shape
carat
color
clarity

French cut owners/ sellers: how bright are they as side stones?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will be taking delivery of a scissor cut/ crisscut style elongated cushion on the next couple of days. Its exceptionally bright, as well as being D colour it has great white light return (according to the images and ASET I have seen).

diamond-Cushion-1.03-Carat-D-SI2_0_first_ (2).jpg 8172200a.jpg

I would like to find some side diamonds to make a 3 stone ring and have been considering french cut trapezoids. The facet patterns look like they would be complementary, but I am unsure whether french cuts give a similar level of brightness to nicely cut step cuts such as baguettes, trapezoids etc.

I get the idea that french cuts might have a more domed profile than my scissor cut (which has a 65% table, 64% depth) and I wonder whether this changes the way the light return works and how good a match in terms if brightness they could be for my centre diamond. I have seen how great they look with antique cuts such as cushions, OECs etc, but these generally have small tables and steeper crowns too.

Are there any french cut owners out there who can comment?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
French cuts generally have the blocky light return of old mine cut diamonds and not the needle-like, long light, sparkles of modern cuts. My personal opinion would be that French cuts would not match with your modern center so well and might even be a distraction from the main event, the center stone. A great deal of what will please you is your own taste, not my own. It might be okay to look at the stones you want to use and see if what I am telling you makes sense or if you are convinced otherwise. There are many French cut eternity bands for sale, so those would be useful to look at to help you decide.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don't have this in diamonds but i have a scissor cut / french cut sides ring in a simulant and the frenchies are more subdued but the overall look works at least in that particular ring

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a ring with Gem Concepts/Yoram cut french side stones & an AugustVintage INC. AVC center & I love the french cut stones in my ring. Although my opinion is entirely subjective, as the french cuts in my ring may not be bright enough for you. YMMV!

@oldminer summed up the differences beautifully above, the cut & sparkle on a french cut diamond is totally different than a scissor cut. But based on my ring, IMHO, the french cuts look great as side stones--but I am looking at them with an AVC center. Last, they aren't as fiery as other types of cuts though.

I pulled a few pic's of the side french cut views for you:

IMG_3039.jpeg

IMG_3507.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Param export - I see they now have an Etsy -
every once in a while has tycoon cut traps?
Look in their history LT listings to see if that pattern might look good to you? Don’t know if they typically carry high color/clarity tho
I have no experience with them, other than a a couple emails.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a ring with Gem Concepts/Yoram cut french side stones & an AugustVintage INC. AVC center & I love the french cut stones in my ring. Although my opinion is entirely subjective, as the french cuts in my ring may not be bright enough for you. YMMV!

@oldminer summed up the differences beautifully above, the cut & sparkle on a french cut diamond is totally different than a scissor cut. But based on my ring, IMHO, the french cuts look great as side stones--but I am looking at them with an AVC center. Last, they aren't as fiery as other types of cuts though.

IMG_3039.jpeg

IMG_3507.jpeg

I love that ring and your wedding band!

Do they have a thread of their own? :))

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

IMG_3039.jpeg

IMG_3507.jpeg

What a beautiful ring! Thanks for posting your french sides. They look great with your centre stone :kiss2:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Param export - I see they now have an Etsy -
every once in a while has tycoon cut traps?
Look in their history LT listings to see if that pattern might look good to you? Don’t know if they typically carry high color/clarity tho
I have no experience with them, other than a a couple emails.

Thanks, I am making enquiries with them. I think their tycoon cut traps have a similar look to french cuts but with more pavilion facets, so they might be a good complement for my stone. So hard to tell just from pics when I don't have them in front of me though.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i don't have this in diamonds but i have a scissor cut / french cut sides ring in a simulant and the frenchies are more subdued but the overall look works at least in that particular ring

I just had a look at the pics, love your ring!!!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
French cuts generally have the blocky light return of old mine cut diamonds and not the needle-like, long light, sparkles of modern cuts. My personal opinion would be that French cuts would not match with your modern center so well and might even be a distraction from the main event, the center stone. A great deal of what will please you is your own taste, not my own. It might be okay to look at the stones you want to use and see if what I am telling you makes sense or if you are convinced otherwise. There are many French cut eternity bands for sale, so those would be useful to look at to help you decide.

Thanks for your helpful feedback. I think you may be right in that I need to find side diamonds which will have more facets and hopefully more scintillation.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love that ring and your wedding band!

Do they have a thread of their own? :))

Thank you @OoohShiny, :)) here's the SMTB thread!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I am making enquiries with them. I think their tycoon cut traps have a similar look to french cuts but with more pavilion facets, so they might be a good complement for my stone. So hard to tell just from pics when I don't have them in front of me though.

Thank you!

Looks like I have already replied to it :lol: but I had forgotten about it - too much nice bling on here! :D

I love that it's entirely a Yoram-stone ring, that is super-cool :))

I wish I could afford a ring of Yoram French Cuts for a gents RHR (and a Yoram Asscher, and an Octavia... :lol:) - it is a struggle to focus on them in your videos because the whole collection is so distracting, lol.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I have a 4 carat French cut eternity band. I just sold a pair of mrb earrings. Took a shot of the earring next to the band. If the main stone is much "louder" and bolder it won't be pleasing IMO.

IMG_20200128_112212.jpg

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
That is absolutely

IMG_3039.jpeg

IMG_3507.jpeg

Stunning

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @Ceilimom...where I live in the upper midwest, we get overcast skies during the winter due to being so close to a very large lake, & its a bit of sunshine to wear during those 4-5 months. :))

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a 4 carat French cut eternity band. I just sold a pair of mrb earrings. Took a shot of the earring next to the band. If the main stone is much "louder" and bolder it won't be pleasing IMO.

IMG_20200128_112212.jpg

Thanks for this, it really helps. Beautiful band by the way!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results