shape
carat
color
clarity

For Those With Bad Backs...

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are you doing to alleviate your pain? Do you exercise or take any supplements that work? What helps you?

I was told that I am going to have to do something like yoga or Pilates for life. I have to do physical therapy first in order to be in shape enough to do either one of those thing..LOL. I was thinking about starting turmeric, but I’m not sure it really helps with pain. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I suffered from back pain from age 15, the age of my first recollection of "throwing out my back," until a couple of years ago. I heard about a book called "Healing Back Pain" by Dr. Sarno on the internet and gave it a read. I was highly skeptical but I haven't had debilitating pain since. I'm still stiff in the morning and have occasional twinges and aches, but nothing that keeps me from doing everything I enjoy. "It" is basically just reading the book and internalizing/understanding why (according to Sarno) we have back pain that isn't caused by actual physical trauma. If you google Dr. Sarno you'll find lots of supporters and detractors.

This comes from Sarno's NYT's obituary (he passed away at age 94):

"Revered by some as a saint and dismissed by others as a quack, Dr. Sarno maintained that most nontraumatic instances of chronic pain — including back pain, gastrointestinal disorders, headaches and fibromyalgia — are physical manifestations of deep-seated psychological anxieties.

His books, including the best-selling “Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection,” became popular largely through word of mouth. Thousands of people have claimed to have been cured by reading them."

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find Pilates helps. Just stretching in itself is helpful. As for turmeric it’s an anti inflammatory so I say give it a try if it isn’t contraindicated with any of your other meds/supplements. I take it every day in liquid form from Costco. I figure it might be helpful. I take it for a different reason though. My DH’s orthopedic surgeon recommended turmeric and chondroiton and glucosamine too.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suffered from back pain from age 15, the age of my first recollection of "throwing out my back," until a couple of years ago. I heard about a book called "Healing Back Pain" by Dr. Sarno on the internet and gave it a read. I was highly skeptical but I haven't had debilitating pain since. I'm still stiff in the morning and have occasional twinges and aches, but nothing that keeps me from doing everything I enjoy. "It" is basically just reading the book and internalizing/understanding why (according to Sarno) we have back pain that isn't caused by actual physical trauma. If you google Dr. Sarno you'll find lots of supporters and detractors.

This comes from Sarno's NYT's obituary (he passed away at age 94):

"Revered by some as a saint and dismissed by others as a quack, Dr. Sarno maintained that most nontraumatic instances of chronic pain — including back pain, gastrointestinal disorders, headaches and fibromyalgia — are physical manifestations of deep-seated psychological anxieties.

His books, including the best-selling “Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection,” became popular largely through word of mouth. Thousands of people have claimed to have been cured by reading them."
Will this work if there is actual issues?

I have arthritis, facets disease, degenerative disk disease, four vertebra that are dislocated, a curve in my spine, my neck has arthritis, bone spurs, nerve damage.. it’s a mess.

Reactions: AV_

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I find neat helpful where I hurt. Have you tried heating pads?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chiropractor as needed (I should have done more than only when I can't stand...) to get things aligned. Yoga made a huge difference in how I feel and I am trying to get the rest of my body to let me go back to it.

Turmeric did nothing for me. Same with glucosamine/chondroitin, fish oil, and whatever else I am forgetting.

Being aware of how I move and making sure I bend over or pick things up correctly was a big help. Physical therapy or a good chiropractor should help there. Realizing how much weight I was carrying in school bags and cutting that to essentials helped too.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I have arthritis, facets disease, degenerative disk disease, four vertebra that are dislocated, a curve in my spine, my neck has arthritis, bone spurs, nerve damage.. it’s a mess.

Oh Housecat, that's a lot to contend with! Of all those things I have a curved spine, disk degeneration (but have not been diagnosed with degenerative disk disease), and have had flare-ups of the sciatic and femoral nerves to the point where I could actually watch my thigh twitch (but don't know if that counts as "damage"). To me those were actual issues. To Dr. Sarno they are physical issues that should not result in debilitating pain.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This helped me more than anything. Roll up a beach towel lengthwise as tight as possible. Lay on the towel with your neck at the end up the towel so that your head hangs off and the towel runs down your spine. Try it for 10 minutes at a time increasing time daily. Here is a pic of the towel. I could take a selfie of how to lay on it, lol. 20190228_094109.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This helped me more than anything. Roll up a beach towel lengthwise as tight as possible. Lay on the towel with your neck at the end up the towel so that your head hangs off and the towel runs down your spine. Try it for 10 minutes at a time increasing time daily. Here is a pic of the towel. I could take a selfie of how to lay on it, lol. 20190228_094109.jpg

Forget the towel selfie, I want a selfie of those boots you’re wearing!!!!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I want to know about the boots too. I wear boots all of the time. Those boots are amazing!

And thank you. Your advice of laying on the beach towel sounds like it gives a fantastic stretch. I will be doing this today!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have severe arthritis in my back. I only do the exercises that I was prescribed by my physiotherapist. They are simple things - lie on your back, knees bent, grab your leg and bring it up to your chest. Do one side at a time, then do both legs together.
I'm supposed to do them every day, but mostly do them when my back starts to hurt. It usually prevents it from getting worse.
I take Celebrex prescribed by my doctor or Robaxacet if I feel the pain is increasing.
Some chiropractors are good, but some want to manilpulate your neck, which is a big no no. I personally would never go to one here is Canada, but I don't know if their training in the USA is any different. Here, your back is always out of alignment, it's the cause of all your problems and they want to 'fix" it.
At the physiotherapist, there was a poster explaining how many people have abnormalities on their X-rays and scans that were found incidentally while looking for other problems. These people had no symptoms whatever.
I know that this is not your case, here, but just to say that because you see it, it doesn't always mean something.
As for turmeric, I recently read a medical article where a study was done (sorry I can't remember any references) and it was found to be barely better than placebo.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Housecat, that's a lot to contend with! Of all those things I have a curved spine, disk degeneration (but have not been diagnosed with degenerative disk disease), and have had flare-ups of the sciatic and femoral nerves to the point where I could actually watch my thigh twitch (but don't know if that counts as "damage"). To me those were actual issues. To Dr. Sarno they are physical issues that should not result in debilitating pain.
Thank you Maria,

I will read the book. I think my regiment is going to end up with tidbits of advice from different schools of thought. I am sure I will find something that helps in this book.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, I told you I love my boots!!! These are Old Gringo. The other pic is part of my collection. I actually ha e 6 more pairs! 20190228_102037.jpg 20180423_091102.jpg
Old Gringo is one of my favorite boot designers. You wear them well!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That’s a lot to contend with! I have several issues with my back, from lower lumbar to neck, the latter of which was broken by a Ciropractor, who completely snapped the boney spur from my C7 vertebra causing endless nerve issues. I wouldn’t touch another Ciropractor if my life depended on it. For me, it’s all about keeping my spine strong, so I do a lot of core strength work & make sure the posture in my shoulders is good. Periodically I need to see my Physiotherapist as the muscles around my neck & shoulders can lock up & be excruciating, which is an after effect of the nerve & tissue damage. This is the same guy who put me back together once I had healed some 12 years ago, and has kept all of my physical ailments in line ever since.

I hope you can find something that works to help you, as what you are dealing with sounds like absolutely NO fun whatsoever.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, I told you I love my boots!!! These are Old Gringo. The other pic is part of my collection. I actually ha e 6 more pairs! 20190228_102037.jpg 20180423_091102.jpg

So now I want all of your jewellery AND all of your boots!!

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My chiropractor and I are best buddies at this point. He doesn’t do my neck unless I ask but he manipulates and massages my very sore left flank.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve found Pilates has really helped, but you would need to check whether it’s suitable for you. If you find a good teacher, discuss all your issues and see what they say.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had neck and back issues. What helps me is a home traction kit, and I'm looking to get an inversion table. Gravity is hell on the body.

I've also had cortisone injections which help. I can't take NSAIDs because they hurt my stomach after the 2nd or 3rd dose.

As far as back pain being a manifestation of psychological issues I call bs. All the times I fell on the ice or on the slopes or broke my tailbone were not in my mind. It's my personal pet peeve that drs are so happy to give patients SSRIs for pain rather than a 3 day course of narcotic and a script for physical therapy. The MDs are so snowed by the drug companies who come out with new anti depressants and anti psychotics they market as anti depression drugs. And they're so terrorized by the anti narcotic watch boards that they dare not prescribe 6 vicodin. I'm tired of hearing about all the deaths from narcotics. Most of them are from heroin or a combination of narcotics and other drugs, such as sedative hypnotics. It's such bs, and I seriously believe that the drug companies are behind some of the hysteria. Narcotics cost nothing, but anti depressants are more expensive and have the added bonus of keeping people on them for years. They also have undesirable s/e but who cares if it's not a narcotic?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had neck and back issues. What helps me is a home traction kit, and I'm looking to get an inversion table. Gravity is hell on the body.

I've also had cortisone injections which help. I can't take NSAIDs because they hurt my stomach after the 2nd or 3rd dose.

As far as back pain being a manifestation of psychological issues I call bs. All the times I fell on the ice or on the slopes or broke my tailbone were not in my mind. It's my personal pet peeve that drs are so happy to give patients SSRIs for pain rather than a 3 day course of narcotic and a script for physical therapy. The MDs are so snowed by the drug companies who come out with new anti depressants and anti psychotics they market as anti depression drugs. And they're so terrorized by the anti narcotic watch boards that they dare not prescribe 6 vicodin. I'm tired of hearing about all the deaths from narcotics. Most of them are from heroin or a combination of narcotics and other drugs, such as sedative hypnotics. It's such bs, and I seriously believe that the drug companies are behind some of the hysteria. Narcotics cost nothing, but anti depressants are more expensive and have the added bonus of keeping people on them for years. They also have undesirable s/e but who cares if it's not a narcotic?
I understand Doberman...

I’m already on psych meds. They can’t add anymore to my repertoire at this point. Antidepressants ... especially the ones prescribed for pain, will make me manic within two days. I do take gabapentin for nerve pain. It works. Topamax takes the edge off my nerve pain too, although I take that for migraines. I know this because anytime i try to reduce dosage, my nerve pain rages like fire.

For the long term, if it were an option for me, i would rather be on an antidepressant rather than opiates. Long term opiate use would not be an option for me. The long term effects are not desirable for me.

Reactions: AV_

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a curve due to slight scoliosis, degenerative disc disease and arthritis. I do Pilates and foam rolling, take curcumin, use heat and get massages. I prefer my Bed Buddy microwaveable rice bag products instead of a heating pad because they are portable. Alternatively, you can make your own.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom (who lives with my DH and me; I am her primary caregiver) has severe degenerative arthritis in her lower back (among other medical issues)... anyway, a wonderful and knowledgeable physical therapist taught my mom (and me) five or six fairly simple exercises focused on stretching and also strengthening her core muscles in general ... but also mom's doc recommended she take a 500mg Tylenol morning, noon and night to help address the back pain. The PT and Tylenol regime has definitely helped improve my mom's QOL; the pain is still there but more bearable and she is able to be up and about more often. She will on occasion get the worse pain she used to have, but it is the exception and not the rule these days. I hope you can find something that works for you House Cat.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes, HC that's a lot of back issues! I'm having a serious case of sympathy pain!

I don't have the issues you do, but I have had debilitating back pain that left me on the floor unable to get up and barely able to walk when I did.

I see a chiropractor every 4-6 weeks, I foam roll my spine and TBands (probably the best maintenance thing I do), I now only wear properly supportive sneakers for my particular overpronation, and I make better sitting and standing choices. Yoga helps a lot but I am not consistent with that.

Long story short, foam rolling + chiropractor have probably made the biggest difference.

Good luck, that all sounds miserable and I hope you find something that offers lasting relief!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@House Cat, here's the foam rolling video I use. It's kind of cheesy but the exercises are effective, especially for the IT band @rainydaze mentioned.

I, too, have been stuck on the floor and had to crab walk to get to the bathroom. Another time I started a PS thread after I got stuck on the top floor of my house because I couldn't get down the stairs. Eep.

A lot of good ideas in this thread. I hope you find something, or combination of things, that help.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Came back to add that I have done PT twice for my back (the first time when I was on the floor and couldn't walk, and it took six weeks to where I wasn't hobbling in pain), I went to two Chiropractors (both after I tweaked it and knew the warning signs that I would be in serious pain again soon - I found the Chirpractic adjustments worked faster and better than the PT did for me), I started walking every day which I maintained for a year before becoming inconsistent with it, I changed my mattress (went from Tempurpedic which for me was awful to a Latex which is amazing and has also helped a LOT), and I tried to find a new sofa that I can sit better in (I am short, most couches leave me curled up with legs up - horrible for my back).

Basically just wanted to qualify that I have been trying several things over several years. Some of it has worked better than others. Like I said, I landed at the foam rolling and chiropractic adjustments as things that I need to do consistently.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have ankylosing spondylitis and psoriatic arthritis. The first med trials for me were all the different types of NSAIDs, prescription strength. Then cortisone shots, but that was limited to only 3. Then humira. The holy grail for me is a biologic called remicade, given by infusion every 6 weeks. It's life changing. Have you seen a rheumatologist? The goal for arthritic conditions is reducing swelling, and maintaining as much flexibility as possible through stretching and keeping as mobile as possible. For your non-arthritic problems, I'm not sure what will work. My BIL has gone the surgical route for those types of issues, but he says nothing helped.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally speaking, my view is that one needs to try and get one's spine in alignment (chiropractor + deep tissue massage to relieve tension that pulls it out of alignment) at the same time as improving core strength (which stops slouching / crushing discs, and helps to maintain posture and spine alignment).

None of these thing are cheap :rolleyes: but it makes me cringe when I see people slumped into chairs, ruining their spinal column, for hour after hour.

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I injured my back a few years ago and had been in a cycle of long term pain up until last year. So bad, especially with stress, that I have been in misery at times. YOGA. Yoga changed everything for me.

I was intimidated by yoga and thought I would not be able to do it but the reality is- its stretching. The simple act of stretching on a regular basis through yoga, and in particular, certain yoga poses have been life changing for me. I wish I had taken the advice of my drs and started it earlier. Cat/cow poses are simple, and someone told me that if you do this for 3 minutes each day you will eliminate back pain. When I feel my issues flaring up, I will do these regularly and it makes a difference.

Why not look for a stretching class? Try it out- I felt better in about 3 weeks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results