shape
carat
color
clarity

Foil back on rose cuts

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw a nice rose cut at an incredible price at an auction recently. To me it looked like the massive specks in it were mostly gunk between the stone and the foil back. I have read on PS many times that one cannot remove the foil back. Does this mean you can't remove it without damaging the setting or without damaging the setting and the diamond? I passed at the time because of the doubt, I but it was around 0.7cts for 200 bucks so I would have bought it for the fun of discovering the real stone as a surprise

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it's truly foil-backed, the foil will rip apart when you try to unmount it. Also some foils were dyed and put under white stones to make them look colored, and in those cases the color will come off.

If it's just closed back, then it would depend on the shape of the cup. Some of them have the back curved up around the top of the stone.

Here's one where I'm pretty sure you'd have to destroy the setting to get the stones out.

http://weddbook.com/media/2693379/bonhams-a-rose-cut-diamond-brooch

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @ChristineRose. I came across one that was green backed - interesting look! So the foil would come off and no need to further treat the stone before resetting it, right?

Eta:gorgeous brooch in the link !

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @ChristineRose. I came across one that was green backed - interesting look! So the foil would come off and no need to further treat the stone before resetting it, right?

Eta:gorgeous brooch in the link !

I'm sure it would need a good cleaning, but that shouldn't be a problem!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
My understanding is that an experienced jeweler can very carefully remove the foil and I've seen some vendors have pieces that the foil has been removed from- like Jewels by Grace. I think it would really depend on the setting though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results