shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on 6 pavilion oval - I have 48 hours!

Sparklythingymabobs

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I just placed this diamond on hold with James Allen

I quite like the faceting pattern but the overall dimensions of the oval are smaller than I would like.

I havent seen any other similar ovals in the last month or so, but happy to look elsewhere.

My ideal is would be 1.3-1.4 ratio around a 1.2 carat (probably larger than 8x6mm)

This one is probably only 10% smaller in face up size than my ideal which is not a lot in the scheme of things.

I have requested an ASET image but it may not come back within the 48 hour hold time.

Thanks,

Sparklythingymabobs

Rough_Rock
Here’s the aset image for the James Allen stone.
Hopefully someone can provide a second opinion for me :)
Thanks in advance!
1576185184782.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a pretty good ASETscope image for a 'classic' oval (in my non-expert opinion) :)

It's also pretty good in the video - performs well at most angles, no bow tie to speak of, inclusions are very hard to see, and the faceting pattern looks good (personal taste, of course).

It is perhaps a bit 'low contrast' head-on - in that it doesn't really have a dark contrast/obstruction pattern at that angle - but that might just be the lighting setup for the video.

I'm less keen on the BE stone - the lighting environment being different to the JA setup is a pain and prevents direct comparison, but the central facets are stronger but so is the bow-tie, and the 'mush' seems more prominent in the rest of the stone.

Don't forget to check out the August Vintage ovals - the Elyque and the Vintage versions (visible on Instagram if not on the main site) - they are cut for strong light performance, perhaps with a reduction in spread/size due to their need to be deep, but they look excellent in the videos.

I have to go to bed before the good lady shouts at me :lol: so I'll try to come back on tomorrow!

Sparklythingymabobs

Rough_Rock
@OoohShiny thank you for your feedback! It’s one of the more unusual faceting styles I’ve seen recently so I’m glad you think it has promise. The thing that worries me is that the diamond is not as bright as other ones on the video. I asked James Allen for a photo or something in different lighting but they couldn’t help me out. Do you think it’s a lighting issue rather than a light leakage issue?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny thank you for your feedback! It’s one of the more unusual faceting styles I’ve seen recently so I’m glad you think it has promise. The thing that worries me is that the diamond is not as bright as other ones on the video. I asked James Allen for a photo or something in different lighting but they couldn’t help me out. Do you think it’s a lighting issue rather than a light leakage issue?
Hey!

Apologies that I didn't come back on this.

I'm not sure about the lighting aspects - generally JA are pretty consistent but they are not immune from discrepancies. That is what comes of having a large number of staff and scanning setups!

The stone does seem bright from all the other angles so it might well be nice 'in real life'. Did you go ahead with it? :)

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I'm glad you didn't go with that JA stone. It's cut terribly. You see all that white? That's leakage. A well cut oval is VERY difficult to find in mined diamonds let alone lab created. For your reference this is what a well cut oval ASET looks like. It's a mined diamond - an AV Elyque. However, the cut maximizes light performance and receives AGS000 for light performance. The closer you can find a lab created oval with an ASET approaching what you see below, the better cut and performance you'll have.
EOVAL160JVS1-1300750-ASET_white-02_800x.jpg

Sparklythingymabobs

Rough_Rock
@OcnGypZ thanks for the thought. I have seen lots of talk about the Elyque ovals and they do look nice. I can’t get the desired spread for my budget with an Elyque oval and I’m not convinced I love the look enough for the spread decrease and price premium so I’m keen to look at “classic” ovals.
It’s definitely hard to find in a lab oval but doesn’t hurt to give it a good go. My budget doesn’t translate to my desired size in a mined diamond!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to disagree slightly with @OcnGypZ :lol: as I think that ASETscope image is pretty good for a classic oval - it's not an Elyque or Vintage Oval from AV, granted, but it's good for that particularly cut, from what I've seen on here!

I feel your pain about budget not equalling your preferences :lol: but hopefully we can find you something!

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
The issue with the run of the mill cut ovals - is that they will look smaller because they don't have edge to edge brightness. The best cut for my fingers is an oval. I have 5 - but they are not diamonds - they are colored stones. For what I want in a diamond oval - even in lab-created - is steep and I really can't justify the purchase. I've enough diamonds - most of which I don't wear.

OP - I would reach out to Rhino to see if he can find you a well cut lab-created "classic" oval".

Sparklythingymabobs

Rough_Rock
Thanks @OcnGypZ that is probably what I’m going to do :) (after the holidays though so everyone can get a break)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The issue with the run of the mill cut ovals - is that they will look smaller because they don't have edge to edge brightness. The best cut for my fingers is an oval. I have 5 - but they are not diamonds - they are colored stones. For what I want in a diamond oval - even in lab-created - is steep and I really can't justify the purchase. I've enough diamonds - most of which I don't wear.

OP - I would reach out to Rhino to see if he can find you a well cut lab-created "classic" oval".

You make an excellent point re: the edge-to-edge brightness :))

I think one has no option with classic ovals, though! lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results