shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring potential? (New and don’t know a darn thing.)

Rainstorm

Rough_Rock
2539251D-3A48-4FBD-85E3-A2B4194E188A.jpeg AFAA218B-AD90-4BD9-9762-EC719E76BFD0.jpeg 0B398BD2-7486-4DB2-80DD-CF58C70217C4.jpeg

My partner and I have been all over the place when it comes to finding my ring. Today while perusing a local custom/vintage jewelry store we found this fun little guy. The jeweler said it’s Art Deco from 1920s, 18k gold, approx .5c - J - SI for the price of $1k. It seems like a great deal, but I don’t really know anything at all about vintage pieces and he said it’s been in the store for about a year so I guess I’m just unsure if there’s something everyone else knows I don’t?? Is it a bad idea to have a vintage ring as a daily wearer?

I really value the knowledge on this forum and would love any feedback at all.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not the person to ask about pricing, but I think that’s a lovely ring! If you’re planning to wear a wedding band with it, do consider how it would look with a band, and try it with a variety of bands.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a really pretty ring! If the dealer has had it for over a year I’d try to negotiate on the price a bit, maybe offer 20% less? I’d also make sure the prongs are secure.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a really lovely ring @Rainstorm! I really like that setting style. I like @snowdrop's idea of asking for a small amount off, can't hurt to ask! I would just make sure the diamond is secure in the setting and the prongs are ok.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring! As others have mentioned check the prongs also check and make sure the back of the ring isn't too thin from wear and that there are no chips. I would also ask for 20%, point out they have had it a long time if they scoff. Then come show us pictures of your pretty!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty ring and I agree with the advice given.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't know what kind of budget you are working with, but if you like vintage style, http://www.gordonclark.com/ has many to choose from. No affiliation.

Rainstorm

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the advice! I really appreciate it. I will ask about the prongs and possibly a discount.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's one of my very, very favorite styles and I think it's lovely. I would try to find a band as unique as the ring. If it didn't exactly "fit" I think it would be ok. Be nice and ask them for their very best price...I bet they'll give you a good deal. (If I found a ring like that, I'd buy it!)

ktb19

Rough_Rock
Wow that looks VERY similar to a ring I saw in my local jewelers a few weeks ago! Are you in WA state by chance?
IF by some strange coincidence it's the same jeweler, they are very fair and knowledgeable people and will treat you right no matter what you ask :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price seems high compared to what I could find on say, eBay.

however not everyone has the stomach for eBay purchases. If you prefer an antique store these are the prices you will see

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results