shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald or Pear?

helen8378

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone -

I'm all very new to this world. I'm currently in the market for a 2.80-3.50 carat Pear/Emerald cut diamond.
Color: D-G
Clarity: IF-VVS2
Weight: 2.80-3.5
Cut: Excellent

I went to Harry Winston's in LA to try a few rings on and I am shocked by their markups. Below are two rings I had picked out, both are over $210,000. Even if I purchased the ring in LA and flew to Hong Kong to pick up the ring, it would only be marginally less. I felt like I could find a better diamond for less than their retail price.

The pear is a 3.06 D-VVS1
The emerald is 3.50 E-VVS1

3g7NXgqmRWGBskWYIRYmBA.jpg z5k5BPEjQTCx+VQD2A+CKQ.jpg

Soo here are my questions:
-What are the proportions I should be looking for in an emerald and pear cut, please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding "excellent" only exists for round cuts.
-I'm located in LA, but can basically travel anywhere to find for my ring. We would love to purchase the ring in HK or even NY.
-We were looking at Sotheby's for a vintage emerald but so far it's been a miss
- What else should I be looking for in a special cut, besides for the 4 c's. Is a D color and IF clarity really worth the large ticket price?

Sorry for all the questions!! I really appreciate the help!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I think the pear looks best on your finger. But be careful of a pear with bow tie.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Both are pretty, but so different. Do you want more subdued flashes of the emerald or the more lively facets of a pear? Really different looks.

I personally think IF is overkill, but it’s your stone. Does that matter to you? It does to some. I think you can find a very clean stone even at VS1 or 2, but some people just prefer that it be higher clarity. Same on color. If you want icy white, go for that especially with this purchase. Harry Winston is going to be so much more than other places due to the name.

I found a few loose antique and vintage emerald cut stones at Jewels by Grace. You could have a lovely setting made.

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/3-23ct-emerald-cut-diamond-gia-i-vvs2

A chubby emerald:

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/3-20ct-emerald-cut-h-vvs1

This is a beautiful ring, a little warmer than you wanted but very white to my eyes. I can’t see a tint to it, but I’m not color sensitive :

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/3-65ct-vintage-emerald-cut-diamond-ring-gia-i-vvs2/

helen8378

Rough_Rock
Personally I think the pear looks best on your finger. But be careful of a pear with bow tie.

Thank you! My boyfriend agrees. I think I'm really trying to make the emerald cut work with my hand, but it's just not happening. Do you have any advice to avoid the bowtie effect?

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also really like the pear. It looks gorgeous on your hand!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! My boyfriend agrees. I think I'm really trying to make the emerald cut work with my hand, but it's just not happening. Do you have any advice to avoid the bowtie effect?
It’s not my expertises but with fancy cuts there’s always a little bit of bow tie and I would say very difficult to find no bow tie at all. You have to see it yourself or have someone you trust in the business do this for you. If it looks good to your eyes that’s all that matters.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the pear on your hand.

If you’re comfortable posting your budget, people here will find you a gorgeous stone .

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
If I were you I would contact Maytal Hannah! She is an LA-based designer who does really incredible hand forged work at very reasonable prices. She has a ton of experience with fancy shaped diamonds and can easily create a custom design that rivals anything you see in a HW store.

You should definitely check out her Instagram page! Here is a pic of a ring she did for a pear diamond - a different style setting than you want, but you and her client have similar gorgeous hands with enviable long, slender fingers, and I think the pear looks just stunning:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtolsptDkUl/

Maytal has also done a ton of oval rings; I think you just need to try on well cut pears and ovals in person so you can decide which you like the most. Maytal can definitely call in a range of stones for you to look at.

helen8378

Rough_Rock
My budget is around $70-150. Id like to stay closer to a $100. I really don’t want anything too flashy. I’m still young and trying to establish my career. I don’t want to look like “that” girl.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I'm an Emerald cut fanatic, but I think the pear looks much better on your hand. Do you have a style preference? And length/width ratio you think looks good? That's going to be pertinent in the search!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My budget is around $70-150. Id like to stay closer to a $100. I really don’t want anything too flashy. I’m still young and trying to establish my career. I don’t want to look like “that” girl.
Do you have a sense of preferred size? How many CTs are you comfortable with? Obviously my 4ct pear suggestion above is going to be a lot of bling! Gorgeous, but it's going to attract attention for sure. Depends on your comfort level.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
You have the most beautiful hands and I think they BOTH look Fabulous!! I prefer the EC (but I just love them) and I do think it looks so elegant with those long fingers! That ratio looks great!! Can't wait to see what you decide but anything you pick will be wonderful on you. PS That is a crazy markup! I just was in HW in NYC - shop around... you absolutely can get a much larger ring with great specs for that price! Just my 2 cents... you are paying for the name.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Do you guys think an oval would look just as good as a pear?
For more ideas - check out Insta - RingConcierge... She has beautiful Ovals and her settings are stunning... She has long fingers like you and models everything herself...

helen8378

Rough_Rock
For more ideas - check out Insta - RingConcierge... She has beautiful Ovals and her settings are stunning... She has long fingers like you and models everything herself...

Thank you for the recommendations! I have an appointment with Nicole from Ring Concierge next month. I'll be sure to post lots of photos.
I really really love the emerald cut. My best friend got married earlier this year and she had a 4.5 carat emerald with d-vvs1 and it looks incredible. I used to want a big ring, but when I went to HW I just didn't think it was age appropriate. I'm 24 and I feel like I have the rest of my life to upgrade to a 5-6 carat. So for now, I'm looking for a 3-3.5 carat emerald, pear, or oval that is colorless and with VVS2 being the lowest in clarity.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both beautiful but I would choose the emerald cut. Elegant and sophisticated and looks amazing on you. I appreciate pears but don't care for the disorganized appearance at the ends of all pears. Completely personal decision however. Choose the one that makes your heart go pitter patter. :kiss2:

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
With your budget be very patient and you will no doubt find something magnificent! I prefer ovals to pears for what it is worth. I feel like pears really come and go, fashion wise

helen8378

Rough_Rock
With your budget be very patient and you will no doubt find something magnificent! I prefer ovals to pears for what it is worth. I feel like pears really come and go, fashion wise

I totally agree. My boyfriend LOVES the pear, but I'm not too keen on it. I'm a sex and the city gal and I will never forget when Carrie threw up when she saw the pear Aiden bought.

I'm leaning towards the Emerald and Oval. I have apts for HW and Tiffanys tomorrow. Will post more photos tomorrow! Stay tuned!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
The HW EC somehow looks very "warm"...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love ovals bc they give lots of finger coverage for the CT weight. Can't wait to see what you decide on!

helen8378

Rough_Rock
The HW EC somehow looks very "warm"...

I wish I took the photo of the HW EC by the window. The photo was taken in our private room with horrible artificial lighting.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the emerald on your pretty hand. Best of luck deciding!

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the recommendations! I have an appointment with Nicole from Ring Concierge next month. I'll be sure to post lots of photos.
I really really love the emerald cut. My best friend got married earlier this year and she had a 4.5 carat emerald with d-vvs1 and it looks incredible. I used to want a big ring, but when I went to HW I just didn't think it was age appropriate. I'm 24 and I feel like I have the rest of my life to upgrade to a 5-6 carat. So for now, I'm looking for a 3-3.5 carat emerald, pear, or oval that is colorless and with VVS2 being the lowest in clarity.

I absolutely can appreciate that! My only words of wisdom that I shall try and bestow on you is that if you should choose an EC- they do tend to face up smaller than their actual size. So, if you are able to get a 4-5ct, it will be your “forever” ring. Which to me, would be the most special. It does not have to be that big to be your “forever” but what I am saying is, if you think down the road you may want that, and you can afford it now, I would have preferred to have kept mine in the end. I had a 1.3 then 2.3 and now getting a 4ct. It truly does feel so frivolous to spend so much at my age and to be honest, I do feel badly. I think if I had started w a 2.5-3. I would not have upgraded. With your beautiful hands, you can absolutely go larger w out it looking ostentatious. You sound like you are a very humble and wise young lady that is very appreciative of this upcoming symbol of love :). My vote is EC and get the 4 4.5ct! Get the best cut possible and again, personally, you should not feel the need for a D. No one will know if you should fall in love with an E/F. Also, Personally speaking, I do think it is a bit of a waste Fl/IF/VVS1/Stone. VVVS2/VS1 should more than suffice! If it happens to be better clarity and checks all the boxes, then Yes! But I would not discount others bc it’s not in the near flawless range. No one will know but you and your pocketbook :). My last piece of advice is that I would ask that she (Ring Concierge) show you several diamonds simultaneously (without disclosing color). We did this for my second round (my first was a D and my second an F) and now a J!! And we could not see the difference until he told us. I am absolutely color sensitive. However, unless we put them side by side and examined them closely (we both did not see it). My husband was adamant on a D-F color. I wish we had looked at H/I when I bought the second time bc I DEf could have gone larger!! So that is it. No more advice. I cannot wait to see what you choose. I’m so excited for you. Wishing you lots of Love, Health & Happiness.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results