shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay Find -Old cut ring in platinum

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
I have never bought any jewelry from Ebay. Please give me honest opinions about this ring, I have a 30 day return period-
it was posted 1.27carat, old cut with old cut baguettes. It’s really sparkly and eye clean. I paid a little over $3900 0A40943B-2383-47ED-9C98-EE0A709A9087.jpeg C00BC4BD-8BC0-42CB-AAD1-B79FD179332F.jpeg
Excuse my manicure and the pollen on my patio. Thanks all, been a lurker for years.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: Pretty ring. The sides look like they may be French cuts but can’t tell in the pics. Can you post a straight on picture of the center stone in indirect light? It’s hard to tell but it doesn’t look OEC-ish in the pics, but that could just be the lighting or angle.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely more pictures of the stone and a side view of the ring please.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
ooooooooh!!! what a find ! Take it to an appraiser just to be sure.

but, yeah, I would hella keep it !

what does it look like on your hand? do you love it?

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
CACEAD75-32B4-4B1F-AF17-79B6620BAE4B.jpeg 05E0AB2C-4034-46F8-894C-5DBC1F992E0C.jpeg E35B0F84-A8BE-4484-B09E-9462D3265445.jpeg Thanks for the tip, never taken a bling photo.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a way to get a grading report for the center stone before return ends (confirm it is a diamond)? Otherwise it looks like a beautiful ring in a setting with really nice bezelwork.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I love it. The old French cuts got me!! I’m thinking it is a transitional cut, very small cutlet, the table is larger than other OEC’s I’ve seen.
I figured the old tapered French cuts were worth seeing it in person. It was listed under brand new items, which I didn’t get - but I was happy.
I need to hone my photography skills. I will get it appraised, I have plenty of time in the return period.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
It has been tested by my local jeweler, it is a diamond. I wanted to size it smaller but I was afraid it might disrupt the integrity of the tapered French cuts. The Ebay seller has a B& M store and I checked reviews and
BBB before I bought ( apparently family owned small business).

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s good you have peace of mind about the diamonds. One good way to get an up close clear picture of the facet pattern is to set the ring on a windowsill facing in toward you; hold your camera about 6” away, center focus on the diamond and click. The backlighting of natural light really helps clarify the facet pattern. ;)2

HHtv

Rough_Rock
Stunning !!! :clap:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need better pics, but it doesn't look like an OEC to me. Maaaaybe an early modern brilliant, but the patterning looks quite splintery, suggesting long lower halves, which wasn't really a thing until the 1950s. But again, need a closer picture to be sure.

Also, did your jeweler give an opinion about color and clarity? Did you or they measure the diamond's diameter with calipers? YOu need to confirm these things bc the price depends on them.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Use the macro function on your camera. As TMT said above, put the ring on your finger and hold your hand up to a window so that the light is coming from behind the diamond. Get about a foot away and snap. Then you need to open the photo on your computer and crop it so only the diamond and ring are in the image (don't resize. Crop). Then we will be able to see the actual diamond. Can you post the vendor photos? Maybe they are better.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a hallmark? The setting reminds me of single stone
It definitely looks like a modern stone. And I’m thinking the setting may be a reproduction. Love the setting tho

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
The stone measures 6.8 X 7.1 with calipers- the seller said SI1-VS
F to G color for “diamonds” I don’t think OEC, I think early modern, has
a small cutlet and larger table. They were asking $5900 and I paid
$3975. It looks good to me, I just don’t want to get ripped off.
The seller is on IG-they have my ring video on sold items.
JEWELS BY JOE

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s an early round brilliant:

34C21D14-7AE9-4DAE-B066-1F19BC319DAC.png

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your input, I adore the French cuts.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too! It's a lovely ring and I think you got a good price on it.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
FYI- reached out to the seller about diamond cut “transitional” was the answer.
The seller has been responsive to all my questions

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks like a common Poor-Fair cut MRB to me. It could be a vintage MRB (from after the 1950s), but it is not what I would call an "old cut." Even the label "transitional" is a marketing ploy IMO aimed at attributing rarity to the stone (that may not be warranted) to increase perceived value.

To determine if the price is fair for what you do have, you would need an appraisal of color and clarity. You could look up prices for K-L color Poor-Fair cut MRBs to get a sense of what the diamond *could* be worth. The setting is pretty and replacing it could cost a lot on the secondary market and even more to make a new replica!

So whether you keep it or not depends on what you are after and what you value. I think you likely paid a fair price for what it is (a pretty setting with a poorly cut modern diamond). If you are after an old cut with great optics, this ain't it. So it all depends on whether you got what you actually wanted or not.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like a common Poor-Fair cut MRB to me. It could be a vintage MRB (from after the 1950s), but it is not what I would call an "old cut." Even the label "transitional" is a marketing ploy IMO aimed at attributing rarity to the stone (that may not be warranted) to increase perceived value.

To determine if the price is fair for what you do have, you would need an appraisal of color and clarity. You could look up prices for K-L color Poor-Fair cut MRBs to get a sense of what the diamond *could* be worth. The setting is pretty and replacing it could cost a lot on the secondary market and even more to make a new replica!

So whether you keep it or not depends on what you are after and what you value. I think you likely paid a fair price for what it is (a pretty setting with a poorly cut modern diamond). If you are after an old cut with great optics, this ain't it. So it all depends on whether you got what you actually wanted or not.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
EE15D0EB-842E-48F3-895A-6565C14C0D4F.jpeg May I ask where the K-L color question came from ? Everyone is entitled
to their own opinion. I believe I’ve seen a few OEC’S with great optics.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I hope it inspires new rings! Obviously beautiful & such French cuts are only starting to become available again (Gem Concepts).

As for dating - I would look at round brilliants of the prewar years up to the late fifties for reference. The makes are varied & I have never set myself to tell them apart from much more recent stuff.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's lovely, good deal.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ENJOY! It’s beautiful.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm still looking for the correct old post in here, one that had some specs, but there is a "European Cut" that, chronologically, comes between Old European and Transitional. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/european-cut-diamond.3875/, I quote from it:
What years were these stones cut?
-----------

The machine which made it possible to brute a round diameter on a diamond was invented around 1900, so that can be used as a demarcation point in the dating of these old cut stones.

Old Mine Cut stones (cushion shaped) are typically circa 1840-1890.

Old European Cut stones (round, with small table, high crowns, and large to very large culets) are typically circa 1900-1920.

European Cuts (larger tables, lower crowns, medium to large culets) are typically circa 1920-1940.

Transitional Cuts (transitioning between the european cuts and the modern round brilliant cuts) are typically circa 1940-1950.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Post #9 of this old thread is about as close as I can get for more info about European Cut:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-antique-diamonds.6444/
"... 1920-1935 European Cuts (more streamlined)..."
It's larger table, lower height crown with flatter angle, and I'd say more tendency toward brilliance (white light) than fire. I have an old diamond that was sold to be as "European Cut" and certainly fits neither the OEC or the "transitional" style of diamonds that are typically posted here.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
Post #9 of this old thread is about as close as I can get for more info about European Cut:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-antique-diamonds.6444/
"... 1920-1935 European Cuts (more streamlined)..."
It's larger table, lower height crown with flatter angle, and I'd say more tendency toward brilliance (white light) than fire. I have an old diamond that was sold to be as "European Cut" and certainly fits neither the OEC or the "transitional" style of diamonds that are typically posted here.
Interesting :roll2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results