shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone actually buy “perfect” diamonds?

Evian

Rough_Rock
I found this diamond on BN. Seems to be the “perfect” stone (granted no idealscope or ASET image).

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

Do people actually buy diamonds with similar certificates to this?

Seems like majority of people (just guessing from reading threads) would rather have a larger stone and go for a lower color and clarity grading since people would never see the difference.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
If your definition of perfect = flawless, you'd be very wrong.
Flawless clarity is only with 10x loupe. Go with a higher power magnification and you'll see bunch of imperfections in "flawless" stones. Most people can't see inclusions naked eye at VS level, and people on PS have higher standard for the cut than the stone above.

Evian

Rough_Rock
I guess what I am trying to figure out is why would people buy a stone like this when most people can’t see inclusions with naked eye at VS level. Wouldn’t you rather spend your money to get a bigger rock or better cut, etc.

I am also curious to know the higher cut standard. These angles and proportions look good. Without seeing idealscope or ASET images I didn’t think it would be possible to make further determination on cut quality.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I guess what I am trying to figure out is why would people buy a stone like this when most people can’t see inclusions with naked eye at VS level. Wouldn’t you rather spend your money to get a bigger rock or better cut, etc.

I am also curious to know the higher cut standard. These angles and proportions look good. Without seeing idealscope or ASET images I didn’t think it would be possible to make further determination on cut quality.
Buying D or Flawless would be for cultural reason, perfectionist tendencies, or for mind cleanliness, not for the actual performance.
I could see through the plain photo that the stone has a bit of obstruction (clustering), so no, don't need an ASET or IS in this case. : )

Last edited:

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Not everyone values a bigger rock. I don't trust VS2 stones anymore, having come across a crazy high percentage of them with dark inclusions on the table or that look cloudy. Gs and below look yellow to me. I want a high color and high clarity stone, and I don't think this is any less rational than wanting that extra fraction of a millimeter larger. There's going to be a noticeable difference between 1 and 1.5 carat, but if my choices are between a 1 and a 1.2 of lower clarity and color, I'm going with the smaller stone.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Evian :))

I think that D Fl stone you listed above is a beauty! It also has almost identical stats to my WF ACA. Speaking as someone who went from a 4.01ct I to a 3.05ct F for more or less an identical price, I can certainly understand trading size for specs. If I reeeally couldn't see the difference, I don't know if I'd find it of any use, but normally I *can* see a difference, so I like to stay in the 'very safe' categories. That doesn't need to be a D Fl, but I DO think it's a thrill to have such a perfect stone! There's something luxurious about having such a clean, white, well cut diamond, and if I could afford it, I'd definitely do it!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For color? Yes, there is a reason. Some people can detect subtle differences in color and prefer an icy white diamond. For such people, a high color (D-E) diamond is preferable.

For clarity? Well, IMO FL/If diamonds are a rip-off. There is such a crazy premium for IF even compared to VVS that it is absolutely not worth it. And as @blueMA said, flawless is sort of a misnomer here, because flawless diamonds are not actually flawless. They're just flawless at 10X magnification.

IMO anything over VS1 is unnecessary for MRBs. Even 90% of VS2s are perfectly fine in smaller sizes below 1 carat. As you get up towards the 2 carat range, it may be necessary to move up the VS1 range to get a truly eye-clean stone without any inclusions that impair transparency if you're hawk-eyed, but you should be able to find an eye-clean/transparent diamond at the VS1 level in ANY size of MRB. VVS is only necessary if you're a hawk-eyed consumer looking for a 3 carat step-cut.

The combo of D color and IF/FL clarity, which carries the highest premium of all, is never worth it unless you have a cultural reason for perfection. Some cultures prefer to have a smaller diamond that is absolutely perfect to symbolize the perfection of their marriage. Nothing wrong with that. It's purely a sentimental choice. But for most on PriceScope, they would prefer to have a larger diamond that looks exactly the same. ;)2

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I am drooling over my computer!!:kiss2::love::love:

But I personally would not buy a FL/IF, even if I could in such size 3cts±....I would use that extra money for something else...maybe an argyle pink diamond or a particularly rare emerald/fancy coloured diamond etc.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Here is someone on PS who had a 3.58 D-FL cut to order by Crafted by Infinity (CBI). Amazing diamond in my opinion.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ted-a-3-ct-d-fl-if-cbi-for-an-earring.242438/

Sure, if I had so much money to spare with no consequences... "This quarter-million dollar 3.58 carat D Flawless Type IIa" - I sure wouldn't reject such present. ; )

This is Price Scope after all - I like bargain hunting for maximum performance.

Do people actually buy diamonds with similar certificates to this?
@cflutist answered your question. That's as close to perfect a diamond can get.

Last edited:

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I am trying to find statistics on what percent of diamond buyers buy IF diamonds, can't find anything. Just curious if anyone has any idea? Are they easy to sell? I assume they are not the most common choice . However probably sell to a minority for a high price, even when second hand (preloved), although that would depend on size and colour grade. Just my thought process nothing solid to back it up

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@blueMA true! Though the buyer probably was after the size/clarity and rarity rather than the cut haha

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I am trying to find statistics on what percent of diamond buyers buy IF diamonds, can't find anything. Just curious if anyone has any idea? Are they easy to sell? I assume they are not the most common choice . However probably sell to a minority for a high price, even when second hand (preloved), although that would depend on size and colour grade. Just my thought process nothing solid to back it up

My sister has an IF D given by a person who could pretty much afford anything. Really, it looks the same as any eye clean near colorless diamonds.
Not sure how you'd get the stats, but the market is for the consumers simply wanting the best of the best of what's available.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
My grandfather was like that, I am sure he would be horrified at my choice of clarity. I came across a 6% of consumers but nothing else. I guess considering how uncommon they are the supply will meet the demand.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not everyone values a bigger rock. I don't trust VS2 stones anymore, having come across a crazy high percentage of them with dark inclusions on the table or that look cloudy. Gs and below look yellow to me. I want a high color and high clarity stone, and I don't think this is any less rational than wanting that extra fraction of a millimeter larger. There's going to be a noticeable difference between 1 and 1.5 carat, but if my choices are between a 1 and a 1.2 of lower clarity and color, I'm going with the smaller stone.

This. My pear cut engagement ring is damn near perfect, but at only 1.02ct we could definitely gone much bigger with lower specs for the same money. However, my husband wanted as perfect as could be sourced, so that’s what I have. And I do love it, even though I would also love something bigger! I’m quite colour sensitive, but think I could easily go down to F-G.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I’m quite colour sensitive, but think I could easily go down to F-G.
G can be tricky sometimes but F and up, definitely should be no problem. If I hand a person a well cut F vs D one at a time, I'd be very surprised if s/he could see the difference.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
G can be tricky sometimes but F and up, definitely should be no problem. If I hand a person a well cut F vs D one at a time, I'd be very surprised if s/he could see the difference.

Yes, I have a couple of friends with G round brilliants & one looks ok to my eye, and one looks tinted. But the tinted looking one also has a more mushy cut, which might be a factor. I would be SUPER picky if I went for a G. My pear is D & my full eternity are matched E’s, so i’ve sort of ruined myself with transparant looking stones. However if I ever bought an antique OEC, it would definitely be an a lower more creamy colour. They are so romantic.

Last edited:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
i’ve sort of ruined myself with transcluscent looking stones.
I think you mean transparency. D-F all else equal (esp clarity) should look just as transparent.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you mean transparency. D-F all else equal (esp clarity) should look just as transparent.

Typo alert! Yes, transparent. I’ve just edited my post!

Evian

Rough_Rock
Looks like someone already bought the stone...

That was fast. Lol

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another thing to consider about the FL grade in particular is the very large possibility that, while a diamond will likely remain internally flawless barring any unfortunate accidents, it will not remain flawless after wearing. This is because it's almost certain that a diamond will develop surface micro-fractures and abrasions along the crown facet junctions from occasional knocks. These can obviously be polished away after many years of wear, but after the re-polishing the diamond would need to be regraded... And there's no guarantee that the diamond would receive the flawless grade upon regrading, as it will very likely have "minor details of polish."

In a past thread about lab grading, @John Pollard said that the assignment of the flawless grade is rather haphazard and sometimes just depends on the "mood" of the grader on any given day. Even with the best polishing job in the world, there's no guarantee that a cantankerous grader won't find a "minor detail of polish" somewhere on the diamond.

Since flawless caries a premium even over internally flawless, it would be a waste of money to pay for the FL grade if you ever plan on wearing the diamond. But if one wanted to lock the diamond away in a vault to preserve the "perfection," then by all means...

Evian

Rough_Rock
it's probably one of the PS lurkers. That happens a lot. lol
That’s what I was thinking. This stone sat untouched for months and a day after posting here gone...

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I think people by D color FL/IF to avoid the pain of trying to explain having made compromises to the person getting the ring. I know two people who simply told their family jeweler to source a D, FL/IF, GIA-Triple-X, negligible fluorescence, in the largest size possible within a given budget.

Some people believe More Money = More Problems...
but with engagement rings, it's More Money = Fewer Problems

Naturally they could have had a larger carat stone had they relaxed the other constraints. But some people value their mental health and time more than others. The marketing and peer pressure around jewelry is so aggressive. The amount of over-pay for "perfection" is definitely worth the money to some to avoid the headache and hassles.

Rationalizing concessions with Price Scope users is far from rationalizing concessions with a specific individual ring recipient who doesn't browse this site.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there are definitely cultural values at play when it comes to what gets prioritized in terms of the 4 C's. In the US people are probably more likely to prioritize size over colour and clarity (within certain parameters of course) - and my guess is that the general population is likely to do something like size > colour > clarity > cut.

Pricescopers seem more likely to prioritize cut, size, and eye-clean clarity over colour for the most part (so cut > size > clarity so long as it's eye clean > colour).

But elsewhere in the world size is considered much less important, and colour and clarity are much more valued. People think that it is better to buy a diamond of smaller size that is higher in colour and clarity, and prioritize this (cut seems almost like an afterthought everywhere but here on PS). In fact, you will be thought of very poorly in some places if you buy a large diamond that sacrifices on colour and clarity. You will be seen as someone who values style over substance.

None of these value systems are *wrong*. It's just that there are differences between what people prioritize as being the most important thing. Kind of like the brand name vs PS vendor debate. There is no wrong answer. It's just personal preference.

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My engagement ring is a half carat D/IF. It’s small but very pretty. I think hubby at the time thought he needed to get something “perfect” for me. I will always treasure my little perfect diamond. But of course now I also love lower color and clarity diamonds. My favorite right hand ring is a K :)

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
In fact, you will be thought of very poorly in some places if you buy a large diamond that sacrifices on colour and clarity. You will be seen as someone who values style over substance.
True that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results