shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you mix white and gold jewelry?

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
I have been lusting after all the beautiful VCA pieces on the “Show me your Van Cleef and Arpels jewelry” thread, and noticed that the overwhelming majority seem to be in yellow gold. I personally find the YG VCA’s more striking as well, more bold and dressy, so I can easily see why many PSers are choosing YG/RG over the more casual WG options.

However, this leads me to the question: how do you reconcile your engagement and wedding rings being in WG/platinum with jewelry pieces that are in YG/RG? Do you simultaneously wear your WG/platinum rings with YG jewelry pieces such as branded bracelets, necklaces and earrings?

I feel the mismatch would bother me tremendously but see no other option other than taking the ER off for the night and perhaps wearing a plain gold band (e.g. Cartier trinity ring).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @ice empress I do. In fact Bubbalah (my ER) is a mix of platinum and 18k yellow gold. But you know your preferences and there’s no right or wrong here. Lol I feel like I’ve been writing that a lot this AM. Wear what makes you happy. If it bothers you don’t force it.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@missy put it perfectly! No right or wrong just personal preference.

I always mix! My wedding band is rg, e-ring is plat, eternity stacker is half wg half yg. And sometimes I'll also wear a thick silver ring on top, the first ring my now-husband-then-bf got for me a loooong time ago. Does that cover all the major metals? :bigsmile:

When buying new pieces (especially pricier pieces ie VCA) I decide based on that individual piece, not how well it'll match with my other stuff. But I don't get jewelry for the sake of dressing up to impress, rather to stare at and please myself. Soo don't listen to me for fashion advice. :lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My watch and a bracelet, that I do not take off, are both 2 tone. I feel like these pieces help to pull together items I choose to wear that are in
different colored golds. So, yes, I mix metals and have no issue with it. I think it can successfully be done and look more interesting at times than all
single colored gold but I understand that its a personal preference.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I mix white gold yellow gold and rose gold! Although I like to my h with my clothes. I will say at first I found it blasphemous haha I got over that though

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm facing the same "dilemma" myself - totally a FWP! lol

Most of my jewellery is in either WG or Pt, but am starting to build a collection in RG and YG (RG and YG easily mix, IMO). I'm planning to get a pair of magic Alhambra earrings in YG and am, a little bit further in the future, going to get another ering in RG to add to this collection. Incidentally, I do agree that VCA makes beautiful rich and yet soft YG.

At the moment, I mix WG and YG/RG too. It bothers me a little.

Sorry, I am of no help.:lol:

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Also for instance if I wear a red jumper I prefer yellow gold and white....blues, black, greys, earth colors also then all three metals works

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mix metals, but usually by stacking rings on one hand. So if I stack yellow and white, then I can wear pieces of either color for my other jewelry. I don't usually wear one ring made of white metal on one hand and one of yellow on the other.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yessss to mixed metals! I mix white and yellow most days....haven't done too much with rose gold or mixing of all three yet but I think it can be done tastefully :)

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m a guy. I wear my 22k yellow gold wedding band stacked with my late grandfather’s platinum band. No issues for me.

A78A7EDC-8DA1-45D2-B06B-F0748501B35D.jpeg

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I typically wear all YG, but I have always wanted my wedding set in white metal... until now. I even thought about having Caysie redo my soli with an 18K YG shank, but I just couldn't make the commitment.

I used to never even consider mixing them... now I'm sort of obsessed with it! ;-) I just ordered a plain YG all round band to pair with my plat solitaire. I also just received got a very thin "antiqued" eternity band with black rhodium plated prongs to stack with all colors! I love the look!

Zina_Antiqued_Eternity_Platinum_Stack.jpg

I can't wait to see what it looks like with the YG band - I think the YG will really make each piece POP!! :bigsmile:
Please don't judge my super dirty diamond... I've been lazy.

cottoncandy

Rough_Rock
I seem to be in the minority, but my personal choice is to minimize mixing white and yellow.

I’m just starting to build my fine jewelry collection, and all the jewelry I lust after is delicate, textured yellow gold with a lot of different gemstones.

So I decided instead of all platinum, my ER will have an 18k YG shank and platinum basket, to maximize the whiteness of the diamond. Basically it’s a @valmanin ring :kiss2: Just hoping the mixed metals in the same piece won’t bother me....

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My opinion as a man, so take it with a grain of salt haha:

When it comes to the hands/wrists, I think that mixing looks absolutely fine. I agree with @tyty333 that having a two-tone watch and/or bracelet really helps to bring everything together. My fiancee has a stainless watch with RG accents (crown and indices are rose gold), as she likes both platinum and rose gold jewelry (she doesn't like the the way YG looks on her skin). I've seen plenty of women wear white and yellow or white and rose gold on their hands at the same time, and I think it looks great.

But when it comes to the neck and ears, I think that it's important for the metals to match. I've seen a few women with one color pendant/necklace and another color earrings, and I think it definitely looks out of place. Like someone wearing mismatched socks. Maybe it's because the neck and ears are more visible to a viewer, but I would like to hear other's opinions on this, as maybe I'm just crazy. :mrgreen:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always mix.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
12AC24E7-BFF0-42C6-9BFA-E73D1428F20F.jpeg This is my favourite wintertime stack:
X2 0.58 (TCW) F/G colour 18 karat white gold stackers
X1 0.25 pointer F/G colour SI clarity u prong platinum full eternity ring.
X1 VCA small perlee rose gold ring

Yeah, I love to mix it up :D

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe that the ER plat set is a fixed piece of jewelry. It does not come off. That said , you can wear either gold or silver metals with it-not both. For example when I wear my yellow gold charm bracelet I only wear yellow gold pieces. When I wear my opal pendant (set in white gold) I wear only white metals. But I am a purist and rarely, if ever wear both colors. I know I am in the minority here and truth be told my steadfastness is slipping especially if a piece would go beautifully with an outfit but I am wearing the other color metals.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mix. Interesting all my all diamond prices are in white metals. But almost all my colored stone rings are mixed metals. So I usually have white metals on my left hand. And then one of my mixed colored stone rings on the right.

My two stone diamond pendant is 2 tone and never comes off. My white gold and diamond bangle also is a daily wear along with my dress watch which is steel (so white metal ish)

FireMonkey

Shiny_Rock
I've always mixed my metals. Even w/in the individual pieces, when it makes sense for the design. I find it a more interesting look, overall. Plus, it lets me avoid thinking in terms of the hardware on my handbag, or whether my clothing colors are leaning warm or cool, stuff like that. KWIM? Here's a snap of my right hand/arm today. I also wear gold mini hoops and platinum diamond studs together.

It's such a personal preference, though. Do whatever feels right. It's your jewelry, and you should wear what you like the very mostest. :)) :bigsmile:

1218.jpg

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I say mix it up & wear what you want. There are a lot of women who like to wear costume jewelry & change up their look while wearing their e-rings/ w-bands. It all goes together. =)2

Edited to add..I was in the VCA store yesterday at Yorkdale mall. Such gorgeous jewelry. I would throw caution to the wind & buy the pieces you like without worrying about if you should or could. ;-)

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results