shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference between Astor Ideal and Very Good

londonbased

Rough_Rock
For princess cut, Blue Nile don't offer 'Excellent' cut - the choice is between Astor Ideal and Very Good. What is the difference? Isn't Astor just BN's own brand certificate? I realise GIA don't certify cut for princess.

The princess cut diamond I am considering has the following specs:

Depth: 74 %
Table: 71.0%
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Thick
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent

On the fact of it, just these specs alone seem fine - no alarm bells?

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
No expert in fancy cuts, but you need an ASET and video to determine performance.

londonbased

Rough_Rock
Primarily I am just interested in the distinction between Astor Ideal and Very Good, and why Blue Nile don't have an excellent category?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll take a shot at it...With fancy cuts (princess, cushions, ovals, etc.) the numbers just dont tell you enough about the stone. There are so many variances
in the cutting pattern that it is hard to narrow it down to whats good, whats very good, and whats excellent. The Astors are in stock
and everything else with fancy cuts falls into two categories. Even when a stone falls into the "very good" category doesnt necessarily mean that
its actually a nice stone. Probably just means that depth and table are within a certain range. Round Brilliants are basically all cut with the same
number of facets which can more easily be categorized. Not sure if thats the kind of answer you were looking for or not.

The princess you picked out looks nice. Next, we would request an aset to double check the light return but BN does not do asets. Have you looked
for the stone at other vendors to see if someone else may have an aset on it?

Edit...here is your stone at Enchanted Diamonds with an aset image. Aset looks decent. A little
bit of light loss in the corners but not overwhelming IMO.
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/S150-576168027?

Edit (again) - I believe BN does price match if you show them the stone at another vendor. I believe
it is cheaper at Enchanted.

Last edited:

londonbased

Rough_Rock
This is very helpful. Thanks - yes, that was the explanation I was looking for re Astor Ideal and Very good. There are very stones on BN with Astor Ideal cut, so I was going to take a chance on a Very Good one.

Thanks for the info from Enchanted Diamonds - that is reassuring!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF or BGD are probably the best options for Princess cuts with guaranteed light performance, I would say!

londonbased

Rough_Rock
Thanks - I will check out those two places.

The only remaining question is colour G or H. Without seeing the diamond in person, the H looks perfectly colourless on the video on BN.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks - I will check out those two places.

The only remaining question is colour G or H. Without seeing the diamond in person, the H looks perfectly colourless on the video on BN.

Most people are fine with either G or H color, especially in very well cut stones. WF or BDG princess with their excellent cutting will look pretty darn white in H color, especially if the setting isn't going to be one where your future fiance is going to be looking at the stone from the side all the time.

londonbased

Rough_Rock
Perfect. Personally I cannot tell the difference between colours until I. Might check some out in person to be sure.

londonbased

Rough_Rock
S150-576168027_AST.jpg

What is the white bit on this image? The cross in the middle and the four sides. Should I be concerned?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The white areas are the background showing through - in other words, they are areas of leakage rather than areas of light return.

Some areas of leakage are not always a completely bad thing, as I understand it, but in this instance the centre seems very leaky.

Is this a BGD / WF stone??

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking at some reference ASETs for princess cuts, this one looks not too shabby. There is quite a significant amount of light returns (lots of reds and greens) and the vid at Enchanted looks decent too.

londonbased

Rough_Rock
Thanks - that is helpful feedback. I will take the plunge and get this

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results