shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs in Europe, what do you think about Baunat ?

Mong

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I live in France and I would like to buy a pair of diamond studs for my 30th birthday. I heard that in France, Baunat have one of the best price of diamonds.

I asked for a quotation, and a pair of 1.8 ctw round brillant G VS2 3EX is 9.038,70€
I have a family member that lives in the US so maybe I can have it taxe free which would be 21% off (7.140,57€) with their help.

What do you think about Baunat? And what do you think about this price?

Thank you in advance!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not personally familiar with Baunat, and I'm not sure if we have many (any?) residents of France on the forum.

If you use the search bar at the top of the forum, you can search for diamonds that meet your preferred budget/colour/clarity/carat combination(s).

Here on PriceScope, we are very focused on getting the very best cut - because 'Cut' is the main criterion that affects how good a diamond looks.

On that basis, GIA XXX are often not good enough, because steep crown / deep pavilion combinations are permitted within the XXX range, which are leaky and poor performers.

You should therefore search for stones within these parameters:

Table 54% - 57% (extended range 53% - 58%)
Depth 60% - 62.4%
Crown Angle 34degrees - 35.5degrees (maybe even 36degrees with a shallow pavilion)
Pavilion Angle 40.6degrees - 40.9degrees.

(When the Crown Angle increases, decrease the Pavilion Angle - for example, 34 crown and 40.9 pavilion, but 35 crown and 40.6 pavilion.)

You can use the HCA tool under the Tools tab (at the top of the forum) to help find stones that have complementary crown and pavilion angles - you are looking for stones with an HCA score under 2.

AGS000 stones should fall within the required parameters, which means you can search for them without worrying about crown/pavilion combinations.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a family member in the US it makes Much more sense to buy on a US website, have it shipped to your relative and work out how to get it over (anyone visiting soon?)

Mong

Rough_Rock
Thank you @OoohShiny for your help and the criteria !

Thank you @kathness for your help and suggestion but I would like a bit bigger...
If 9000€ is too expensive for 1.8 ctw G VS2 3EX, what would be a good price?
I though it was a good price mostly because of the tax free price at 7.140,57€
I would like a pair of studs near colorless and eye clean as close to 2ctw but without a full 2ctw price tag.
I saw on IDJ website 2 ctw G-H color and SI clarity studs are about $7000, but I heard that those are VG cut and no GIA certification... Diamonds with @OoohShiny criteria and with GIA certification would be much more expensive, right ?

Thank you @kipari for your help and your suggestion. Why is it better to buy in the US? I would have to pay tax I believe...

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in France(78). Compared to the selection of high end cuts and price there's no doubt. Even paying the duties upon immigration, it's usually a smidge cheaper to buy stateside . But choice and quality are beyond comparison. The only comparable option is buying super ideal cbi diamonds in Belgium via Fortrez . There have been some threads on the topic recently. But you pay a premium for branded superideal PLUS 20%more than in the US. It's still a superior product at roughly the same price than baunat.

Having stuff shipped is a different can of worms. Between the worry of losing a high end item in transit, high FedEx prices and restrictions for insurance value if receiving anything from a private party, you also need a broker account and last time I had to pick it up in an industrial area that was an hour away, I would had to wait there etc etc. You are charged duties and handing fees by the carrier and the state. All of which is non refundable in case of a return.

So if feasible, buy in the US. Bring over and pay duty upon immigration. Easiest and cheapest.

kathness

Shiny_Rock
@Mong I would email IDJ directly (@Yekutiel) and ask for pricescope quality pair of studs.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in France(78). Compared to the selection of high end cuts and price there's no doubt. Even paying the duties upon immigration, it's usually a smidge cheaper to buy stateside . But choice and quality are beyond comparison. The only comparable option is buying super ideal cbi diamonds in Belgium via Fortrez . There have been some threads on the topic recently. But you pay a premium for branded superideal PLUS 20%more than in the US. It's still a superior product at roughly the same price than baunat.

Having stuff shipped is a different can of worms. Between the worry of losing a high end item in transit, high FedEx prices and restrictions for insurance value if receiving anything from a private party, you also need a broker account and last time I had to pick it up in an industrial area that was an hour away, I would had to wait there etc etc. You are charged duties and handing fees by the carrier and the state. All of which is non refundable in case of a return.

So if feasible, buy in the US. Bring over and pay duty upon immigration. Easiest and cheapest.
Thanks for chiming in with your experience, kipari! :)

I think a great option could be to visit Fortrez in Belgium to look at their Crafted By Infinity diamonds :) as you mention!

Mong

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the advices @kipari ! Whaou! 20% between US and Europe! It's a crazy difference!

Thank you @kathness and @OoohShiny for the recommandations!

I will ask quotations from both of them!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the advices @kipari ! Whaou! 20% between US and Europe! It's a crazy difference!

Thank you @kathness and @OoohShiny for the recommandations!

I will ask quotations from both of them!
The difference for the cbi diamonds just takes into account the Vat. There was a guy from France who bought a cbi via internet from high performance diamonds and had it shipped. The same diamond had been available via Fortrez. When he counted in all fees, shipping, duties and taxes he wound up a few bucks more than the price from Fortrez.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-to-do-for-a-men-of-a-small-diamond.236855/

LittlePhi

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the info!

Does anyone have an idea whether shipping the stones and having them set here might be more affordable, or are most of the decent setting options also at a 20% mark-up from the US? Since I'm looking to import precision cut moissanite rather than diamond, the setting is actually quite a chunk of the total price.

I'm looking for a nice milgrain bezel for studs and googling for anything in Europe has been disappointing. Are there any more small/ independent/ creative businesses such as JYB jewelry or CVB inspired in Europe? I'm currently drooling over JYBs Marielle studs or CVBs Peony studs.

Marielle1 (1)__01.jpg

il_570xN.711975415_ox4v__01.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a family member in the US it makes Much more sense to buy on a US website, have it shipped to your relative and work out how to get it over (anyone visiting soon?)
I will be there by the end of March.
If I can help in any way, let me know. I live near Angers, and could mail them if you are far from there. There are several long time PS members who know me personally, and I am a client of WF, GOG, JA, and others, so your earrings would be in good hands. Just a thought.

LittlePhi

Rough_Rock
I will be there by the end of March.
If I can help in any way, let me know. I live near Angers, and could mail them if you are far from there. There are several long time PS members who know me personally, and I am a client of WF, GOG, JA, and others, so your earrings would be in good hands. Just a thought.

Jimmi Anne, that's a kind offer from you to Mong. I wish this was an option for me too. It is fantastic timing isn't it, or do you go somewhat regularly? Does it happen more often on PS among Europeans? Great show of community! (Im fresh as daisy on here, nice to meet you all!)

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmi Anne, that's a kind offer from you to Mong. I wish this was an option for me too. It is fantastic timing isn't it, or do you go somewhat regularly? Does it happen more often on PS among Europeans? Great show of community! (Im fresh as daisy on here, nice to meet you all!)
Hi Littlephi, welcome and nice to meet you.
It’s good timing. I would imagine it doesn’t happen very often. Sometimes things just work out. I bought a diamond from abroad and the seller was headed for the states in a week! So I waited to buy it. But...that is not the same as having a stranger transporting your paid-for expensive purchase! Lol

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the info!

Does anyone have an idea whether shipping the stones and having them set here might be more affordable, or are most of the decent setting options also at a 20% mark-up from the US? Since I'm looking to import precision cut moissanite rather than diamond, the setting is actually quite a chunk of the total price.

I'm looking for a nice milgrain bezel for studs and googling for anything in Europe has been disappointing. Are there any more small/ independent/ creative businesses such as JYB jewelry or CVB inspired in Europe? I'm currently drooling over JYBs Marielle studs or CVBs Peony studs.

Marielle1 (1)__01.jpg

il_570xN.711975415_ox4v__01.jpg
Personally I have a guy for repairs locally, but I try to have custom settings etc done by PS approved vendors for quality. I have a great family jeweler with a great bench in Germany, but I've had some hiccups for custom even with him.
I *think* heart of water are in France, but haven't worked with them, so can't speak from personal experience ..

LittlePhi

Rough_Rock
Personally I have a guy for repairs locally, but I try to have custom settings etc done by PS approved vendors for quality. I have a great family jeweler with a great bench in Germany, but I've had some hiccups for custom even with him.
I *think* heart of water are in France, but haven't worked with them, so can't speak from personal experience ..

Hi Kipari!

Thanks for your reply. I definitely would prefer using PS approved vendors for a custom setting! Do you have any idea if there is a list out there somewhere? I checked out Heart of Water and they look like they could do it, but then I found out that they were located in Thailand. At least, on etsy it says they ship from there.

I'll keep looking and otherwise I'll just hope some friends/family will go there at some point!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure they ship to Europe. You'll just have to pay duties upon import.

Otherwise there's David Klass in LA. He definitely also ships to Europe. I've used him and he's great to work with.

ETA :did you look at the fabulous fashion thread? Many PSers have had very pretty moissy pieces in gold custom designed and delivered to Europe. I can think of @dkata from the top off my head. Maybe she can advise?

Mong

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much @Jimmianne for the kind offer but my family come back about twice a year and they'll come soon.

I'm still thinking about my purchase. It would be my first very big purchase so I'm hesitating.
I'm wondering if I should go with a pair of 1.8 ctw studs (which is as big as I can afford in my opinion in term of size and price) or if I should go with smaller (and less daunting price) and upgrade as diamond shrinkage come (which seems like everyone get)... I'll see!

LittlePhi

Rough_Rock

Otherwise there's David Klass in LA. He definitely also ships to Europe. I've used him and he's great to work with.

ETA :did you look at the fabulous fashion thread? Many PSers have had very pretty moissy pieces in gold custom designed and delivered to Europe. I can think of @dkata from the top off my head. Maybe she can advise?
Thank you Kipari! I'm definitely heading to those threads :)
The hoping for someone to bring them over was actually more to avoid customs (which can add another 20% to the price tag) and It'd be so nice to spend that on the item itself instead haha. Honestly the problem is just that I'm lusting after what I shouldn't really spend so much on :whistle:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lusting for what we should not really spend money on is so much fun! Thank goodness we have PS to help us enjoy without guilt.

Eloan

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I don't know if you have found your earrings but I found your subject and I'm from France too and I can recommend you Celine Gouwy, she works for Fortrez and bestdiamonds.co.uk She has 2 offices in "Anvers" and "Londres", and she propose the "crafted by infinity" diamond.

I was with her the last 2 weeks for my projects. You will just have to pay taxes (TVA 20%).
You will not have issues about broker with her.

Regards :)
Antwerp office : +32 (0) 3-226 93 93 or +32 (0) 475 77 93 93
OR London office : +44 777 038 1882 or +32 (0) 473 80 40 96

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thank you for thinking on me! At first , it seems to me, that import in France is stricter and more complicated than in Austria.
I have bought from both, Chinese and USA vendors, and had all kind of experiences. All of them were nice, but regarding declaration, VAT and customs all different.
My first purchase from Tianyu was declared with the correct price, so I have paid 20% VAT for it.
My second purchase from Tianyu was declared as silver earrings with CZ, with a low price, so I haven’t paid any tax.
My purchase from LAD was declared with full price, once more paid 20% VAT for the full price.
My last purchase from David was declared as a silver setting with moissanite, so I had to pay VAT, but significantly less.

I have never asked any vendor to declare a lower price for me, if they have done it, than because they decided to do so.

I hope this small summary helps OP.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results