shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond ring colors...

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Hello.

I’m considering upgrading my wedding band and engagement ring. Wanting an *oval* 1ct stone. The stone I’m looking at is VS2 in G color. I would have a band on either side with pave set stones but my only option for these stones are SI2 and I color. Each band would have 1/10ct of diamonds, so really tiny.

Questions...
1. Would tiny I color stones look bad next to a larger G stone?
2. What will appear bigger - a 1ct oval or 1ct round (assuming everything else is the same)?

Here is my idea (blue Nile). I don’t want a huge stone - I’m upgrading from a 1/3ct so it will all look bigger to me.

If anyone has a similar set up, I’d love to see it.

F925DE52-C88B-41D6-AB3F-C1B92BCD1CDA.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I colour smaller stones next to a G should not be an issue - the body colour of the material is less apparent when there is less material.

I don't believe we can link to the site but the diamdb site has a comparison tool to show stone sizes and confirm face up area differences, which could be worth playing with.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I feel the colors should match, from my experience and preference. I think it changes the entire quality of the entire piece/set when the stones are cohesive (or not!). I’m assuming this is their stock color and it will cost you (significantly) to get even to H color? If so, I totally understand the dilemma. I know some would say at H it’s just 1 up from I, but there is a difference from G to I (even from H to I IMO) and, while the melee will be small, in an I it will look darker.
You want the center to stand out because it’s the star of the ring, in and of itself... not also because the side stones are darker.
BUT, I’m totally good with being wrong on this... ask them to put your new diamond alongside the mounting and band, take photos in different lighting, and see what you think. They're not my rings, they’re yours and if you are happy with how it works together that’s all that matters.
Everyone here knows I’m super color sensitive so it’s just my 2 cents. I may be completely wrong on this one... but good to get different points of view.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I feel the colors should match, from my experience and preference. I think it changes the entire quality of the entire piece/set when the stones are cohesive (or not!). I’m assuming this is their stock color and it will cost you (significantly) to get even to H color? If so, I totally understand the dilemma. I know some would say at H it’s just 1 up from I, but there is a difference from G to I (even from H to I IMO) and, while the melee will be small, in an I it will look darker.
You want the center to stand out because it’s the star of the ring, in and of itself... not also because the side stones are darker.
BUT, I’m totally good with being wrong on this... ask them to put your new diamond alongside the mounting and band, take photos in different lighting, and see what you think. They're not my rings, they’re yours and if you are happy with how it works together that’s all that matters.
Everyone here knows I’m super color sensitive so it’s just my 2 cents. I may be completely wrong on this one... but good to get different points of view.

Thanks, I’ve since found another vendor with a setting I love. The center stone I have picked out right now is a 0.9 G oval cut in rose gold setting. The bands next to it have tiny F/G stones. Im thinking this will be a better match but there is a return policy just in case

headlight

Ideal_Rock
That’s great! It sounds perfect (& beautiful!).
Do post photos!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results