shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond moving slightly after repair - platinum setting

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I damaged one of the prongs in my engagement ring, the diamond is set in platinum 950. Because of the damaged prong the diamond was moving (only very, very slightly) in the setting. I took the ring in to be repaired, when it came back the prong was way too high so I asked them to fix the prong so they were even, the prongs were also meant to be tightened. The ring came back again today, the prongs look perfect but the diamond is still moving ever so slightly in the setting. It doesn't rattle, I can only feel it move if I put it between my fingernails.

Am I in danger of the stone eventually cutting through the platinum and falling out?

I don't want to take it back to the jeweller/setter who made and repaired it as it's already been there twice and it's still not right. I would take it somewhere else if it needs to be looked at again.

I'm feeling a bit frustrated and would appreciate any input.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I can understand the frustration, that must suck.

Honestly I think you need to get it resolved fully. The diamond should not move in the setting at all. How many prongs is it? It sounds like it needs to have a full MOT via another jeweller who can check all the prongs and rectify the issue for you.

Pictures are always welcome!

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
Thank you Lykame. It’s a 4 V-Prong hand forged setting, princess cut diamond. I think you’re right, it has to be rectified properly once and for all by another jeweller.

I don’t know whether to tell the jeweller who made it or just take it somewhere else and be done with it.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Lykame. It’s a 4 V-Prong hand forged setting, princess cut diamond. I think you’re right, it has to be rectified properly once and for all by another jeweller.

I don’t know whether to tell the jeweller who made it or just take it somewhere else and be done with it.

Even more important to resolve the issue with a princess cut diamond. Is your diamond insured for setting purposes? How thick is the girdle? The jeweller may be a bit scared of the diamond as I think princesses are prone more than other shapes towards chipping when being set. Are there any inclusions in the area of the prongs?

I would have an honest conversation with them - that you can still feel the diamond is loose, was there a particular reason for it? See what they say, it may reveal nothing or something useful. Then really it is up to you - if you feel uncomfortable with them look elsewhere, but bear in mind what I said about insurance!

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lykame. The diamond is insured for setting purposes, it has a medium girdle. There are no inclusions near the prongs, it's a VVS1.

I think I'm going to have an honest conversation with them, they're really lovely people and have always been very helpful but I'm getting a bit tired of the issue. I have a feeling either the setter they use doesn't have the ability to fix it or the prongs haven't been done properly in the first place to enable him to tighten them.

I really appreciate your advice, thank you!!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lykame. The diamond is insured for setting purposes, it has a medium girdle. There are no inclusions near the prongs, it's a VVS1.

I think I'm going to have an honest conversation with them, they're really lovely people and have always been very helpful but I'm getting a bit tired of the issue. I have a feeling either the setter they use doesn't have the ability to fix it or the prongs haven't been done properly in the first place to enable him to tighten them.

I really appreciate your advice, thank you!!

Sounds very sensible! Please keep us updated. I hope they are able to resolve it for you.

I guess my only concern now would be that the seat cut for the new prong to sit the diamond in isn't properly done. Putting more pressure from the top down isn't the solution if that is the case. Don't suppose you could share some photos of the prongs and the way they seat the diamond from the side?

I hope it's a straightforward fix but it does need to be by someone confident and competent.

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
Sounds very sensible! Please keep us updated. I hope they are able to resolve it for you.

I guess my only concern now would be that the seat cut for the new prong to sit the diamond in isn't properly done. Putting more pressure from the top down isn't the solution if that is the case. Don't suppose you could share some photos of the prongs and the way they seat the diamond from the side?

I hope it's a straightforward fix but it does need to be by someone confident and competent.

That's my concern too and I think that's probably the reason why they havn't been able to tighten them properly.

I've tried to take photos of the prongs but they're too blurry to see anything :(

I'll keep you posted.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you in Sydney? If yes I can recommend my jeweller, he’s at Town Hall. Your diamond shouldn’t move at all if the prongs are correct,

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
Are you in Sydney? If yes I can recommend my jeweller, he’s at Town Hall. Your diamond shouldn’t move at all if the prongs are correct,

Hi Bro357,

Thanks for your reply, I'm in Melbourne.

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
Holloway Diamonds is in Brighton, just south of Melbourne (Gary is the founder of PS).
https://www.hollowaydiamonds.com.au/

Thank you!! I actually thought of him today as I know he's also in Melbourne =)

I've written to my jeweller and explained everything and asked a few questions, I'll wait and see what they say and go from there.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A moving diamond acts like a chain saw cutting apart the setting. Do not wear it until it is fixed.

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
A moving diamond acts like a chain saw cutting apart the setting. Do not wear it until it is fixed.

Thanks Karl, I've learnt so much on PS and that's what I was worried about. I won't wear it until it's been fixed.

The jeweller has been in touch with me, I hope they're able to resolve the issue properly this time. I think it's a problem with the head and the way the diamond has been seated.

I'll keep you all posted :)

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
So my ring had its prongs tightened again by a different setter, I was glad my jeweller took it to someone else this time. This setter said it was definitely loose. The diamond doesn't move one bit now but the prongs are no longer perfect, one of them is quite squashed in on one corner and one of the others is sitting up a bit too high when viewed from certain angles.

I know I'm being picky and no-one else would even notice it but it bothers me, I can see it without a loupe. I'd like to take it to a different jeweller/setter for an opinion on what can be done to even up the prongs. With platinum is this a difficult or impossible fix? Would the head have to be completely re-done? Am I running a high risk of damaging the corners of my princess and is it better to leave well enough alone?

I'd appreciate any further advice, thank you!!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
So my ring had its prongs tightened again by a different setter, I was glad my jeweller took it to someone else this time. This setter said it was definitely loose. The diamond doesn't move one bit now but the prongs are no longer perfect, one of them is quite squashed in on one corner and one of the others is sitting up a bit too high when viewed from certain angles.

I know I'm being picky and no-one else would even notice it but it bothers me, I can see it without a loupe. I'd like to take it to a different jeweller/setter for an opinion on what can be done to even up the prongs. With platinum is this a difficult or impossible fix? Would the head have to be completely re-done? Am I running a high risk of damaging the corners of my princess and is it better to leave well enough alone?

I'd appreciate any further advice, thank you!!

Gosh I'm so sorry you're experiencing this trouble.
Have you talked to the second jeweler of your concerns?
I'd try to get his opinion and see if it's possible to get the prongs reworked.
Perhaps the first jeweler cut the prongs at a wrong angle/height on the inside to seat the diamond that's causing the issue?
Can you post a photo?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is pretty common that they are a small amount off after being fixed when a prong is damaged.
The first got it looking good but the diamond was not tight.
The second got the diamond tight but it looks a bit off which is really common.
Sometimes there is only so much they can do.
A bit off and tight is much better than looking perfect but loose.
Post a picture if you can.

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply Blue MA. The diamond seating seems to be ok, the second jeweller/setter (he works for the same business as the first one) was the one who has mucked up the prongs a bit, the first one got them perfect but the diamond was loose.

I don't think the two setters who work at this business are able to do any more, I think I'd have to go somewhere else entirely to get them reworked.

I've tried to get a photo but it just goes blurry.

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
That is pretty common that they are a small amount off after being fixed when a prong is damaged.

Thanks very much for your advice Karl K, you are right, I'd rather the diamond be tight and the prongs a bit off. I feel better upon reading this is a common scenario.

I've tried to take a good photo but just can't get it to focus properly.

I think I should probably leave well enough alone and learn to live with the very slight imperfections that no one will notice but me, it's hard being a perfectionist sometimes :) At least I know my diamond isn't loose anymore.

Thanks again :)

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps give it a bit of time and see how you feel in a week or two. Then have a think about your game plan. There will be a balance here of security over prong perfection.

Why don't you just take a normal picture from a normal distance? :) Try taking the ring off so it's still and propping your camera against something so that's still, that will also help reduce the blur. It can be very hard to get good pictures eh. But give it another go and post a few different angles here if you can. =)2

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yep. Unless the prongs were completely redone/re-tipped (which would cost you more money), then they will likely look a bit off after repair. I agree that having the diamond tight is much more important than having the prongs looking absolutely perfect.

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
Perhaps give it a bit of time and see how you feel in a week or two. Then have a think about your game plan. There will be a balance here of security over prong perfection.

Why don't you just take a normal picture from a normal distance? :) Try taking the ring off so it's still and propping your camera against something so that's still, that will also help reduce the blur. It can be very hard to get good pictures eh. But give it another go and post a few different angles here if you can. =)2

Thanks Lykame. I also thought to give it a week or two and see how I feel then, maybe it won't bother me as much.

I'll use your tips try and get some photos :)

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
Yep. Unless the prongs were completely redone/re-tipped (which would cost you more money), then they will likely look a bit off after repair. I agree that having the diamond tight is much more important than having the prongs looking absolutely perfect.

Thanks for your advice Tree Scientist, I thought that would probably be the case. I'll give it some time and if it's still really bothering me in a couple of weeks I'll re-assess but I'm leaning towards leaving well enough alone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results