shape
carat
color
clarity

Deco lovers! Help w/DK/AV OEC bezel please!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I am working DK to set a 10mm August Vintage OEC moissanite. I want a big, bold deco style bezel. After several CADS, I thought we were there, so Amy sent me a plastic. Now that I have it, I'm not sure it has the bold look yet. I want the bezel to stand out more. And I'm not sure about the gallery. A. I am thinking about asking for a little s curve at the top of the shanks to make the sidestones more hidden from top view.
B. Raise the bezel up more?
C. Gallery? 20180725_171435.jpg
20180725_173748.jpg 20180627_181744.jpg 20180725_175211.jpg 20180725_051008.jpg
I appreciate any input.
Attached are cads, my drawings on cads, and the plastic, and an inspirational bold bezel(cz).

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this inspiration!

1)
B. Raise the bezel up more?
The inspo bezel is really two tiers from the side. I don't see that there is metal for the rows of milgrain that I think make is bolder from the side. So, in the inspo, the total height of the bezel (from bottom of the scarf of milgrain upward) is taller.

upload_2018-7-26_18-36-2.png

2_
I am thinking about asking for a little s curve at the top of the shanks to make the sidestones more hidden from top view
Totally agree with your yellow mark-up to change the shoulder from shrugging to swooped inward. But, you can't make the pears curve. So, you might think about adding an isolated/curved piece like the inspiration to allow the shank curve and the pear piece move independently. You could just echo the shape of the round+pear and have them bead set in that floating piece. Or, you can have the shank more straight downward holding the round and then kick out for the pear. You might ask to see a few options of that detail in CAD to help you clarify.
upload_2018-7-26_18-42-39.png

3. I think the bezel can be wider, from the top. I think you just need to show another inspo that shows what you mean by "bolder". These two are not exactly what you want (by a long shot!), but I think showing an extreme version that you want more top-facing metal, if I understand, could be helpful.

upload_2018-7-26_18-38-24.png

4) I like your gallery mark-up in yellow much better. It feels more unique. If space allows, you could add a curl at the end of each area. These peta
upload_2018-7-26_18-46-52.png

5. I'm not a huge fan of the straight lines on the shank engraving. I think this should be more curvy and have more space between details. This shows the curve and some space. But, I'm thinking it could reflect the curves of the gallery and the petals on the shoulders of the shank. To me, these side profile flows more. But, if this is not your vision...you do you.

If you like the overall feel of the engraving as shown, I'd ask them to curve the upper shoulder lines.

upload_2018-7-26_18-55-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-26_18-51-24.png
    upload_2018-7-26_18-51-24.png
    278.2 KB · Views: 30
  • upload_2018-7-26_18-54-18.png
    upload_2018-7-26_18-54-18.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 31

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@rockysalamander Thank you for your input! I am honored to have a resident expert's opinion! I am really wanting to go back to Amy with a firm plan. My last project with DK got ridiculous , Amy pointed out that I was at 26 cad changes. .(their record is 40!)
I agree, I think the bezel height needs to increase. I also think the gallery needed more pizazz. I tweaked it, added more curl..before I read your comment! (Great minds! ) I like some of the ideas you had about the shanks too. I am trying to keep the sidestones prongless.. I'm a nurse, gloves on and off all day=prongs not good.
I'm pretty happy with the face down view on the bezel. The inspo is a 10mm stone with 1 mm bezel (12mm total) and the plastic is exactly that. I don't want funky proportions there. I think the higher bezel sides will help it be more prominent.
My goal was to recreate but also refine the silver and cz inspo ring. I hope its ok to post, but 2 beautifully refined inspirational deco bezel rings were PS rings.
I'm hoping I can get a new/ final plan to Amy over the weekend. They got my stone from Jonathon in May... I still haven't seen it! I am ready to get going, but don't want to have regret later. 20180726_175934.jpg 20180726_192350.jpg 20180726_194127.png 20180726_193930.jpg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@rockysalamander -the pear shape is a cut out, not a diamond. There's a flush set round stone at top of shank then the pear cutout. You don't think the cutout can be on a curve? I'm not clear.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander -the pear shape is a cut out, not a diamond. There's a flush set round stone at top of shank then the pear cutout. You don't think the cutout can be on a curve? I'm not clear.
Aha! Then, the pear ca frely flex. I assumed it was a diamond. If ypu wI'll wear this user gloves, have you determined that is comfy? I get annoyed by sticky-up rings under gloves.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I just say, I love bezels. Have only bezels myself so this is right in my lane. It’s going to be awesome!
But, did you know that a jeweler can use an existing setting and make a mold from it to recreate it. I think so anyway, as it was offered to me once. You do lose the original ring I think. Good luck!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Well, I got new cads tonight. I'm getting so frustrated! I asked them to raise the bezel about 1mm, make bezel side height 2.5 mm like the inspo, curve in the shanks a little instead of bowing out, change gallery.
They didn't change the height, shanks are now huge and wrap around to front profile, shanks not curved, and new gallery is squished.
See CAD vs what I sent 20180802_212413.jpg 1533262613102_44501-QUAD.jpg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
But, I saw a WOW ring on instagram I loved and started playing with modifying that look with the bold 20180802_213227.jpg deco bezel. I really do want this lower profile, works better with my lifestyle. Hope my artwork makes sense. I don't even want to get back to DK til I figure this out.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry for your frustrations, if you look on my threads you can see one for my sapphire ring relating to changes with the CADs where I was experiencing similar problems. I think I was over complicating it a bit and it was information overload at their end. In the end I drew all the changes on the CADs and sent them a copy. Have you tried calling and going through with them on the phone a lot of people recommend that.
Love the instagram ring, do you have a link? When they did my engagement ring (there is another thread) I was questioning myself halfway through and I emailed and explained I needed to have a think as I didn't want to waste anyone's time. They redid the CADs with a different style of shank.
They are patient I read someone's comment the other day that 40 was the most CAD versions of one piece that they had done.:-o.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another comment I wanted to make before is your original inspiration ring was already quite tall in the CADs over 8mm would be very tall and less easy to wear imho.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for responding! I guess I am frustrated because this is like the 7th CAD and most of them are wrong from weird stuff they do to them. I really wanted this to be a quick, easy project. My last one was many cads and took months. But turns out I'm kinda picky! AndI'm also beginning to have doubts. ..I agree 8 mm is high. .. I'm going to take a few days and think about it.
That Instagram ring was from @oldworldtreasures. She sells exclusively on Instagram. I was tempted to buy that tourmaline! (Sold now). I love the carvings!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
20180813_091048.jpg Have you ever had a ring idea in your head, but can't find pictures anywhere? That was my dilemna, until I found this. Like it came right out of my dreams!(except in platinum not yellow gold...) So just sent my final design request to DK.
They are out of town til Aug. 23rd, so I'm in for a long wait. But this ring is going to be amazing!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I need help with a gallery!! I want to basically copy the old art deco bezel halo that I Love, but there are no photos to be found of the gallery. So it's a mystery. DK Just asked me to send an example. I want something scrolly.
**Anyone have scrolly gallery photos you can share? I need inspiration quick!** 20180831_064250.jpg
What I've looked at so far.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I got what I hoped would be final CADs today, but it is still off. I would love some input on how to get it more like the inspo. I think halo needs to come up a little and needs some overhang. And I'm at a loss on how to have a gallery but still have a straight band fit with minimal gap. I put together some edits, but could use fresh eyes on this. 20180910_192820.png 20180910_190703.png 20180910_194451.png 20180910_194307.png Anyone?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Thank You @foxinsox . I have been working on it, I need basket angled in more and open shanks. I'm going to talk to Amy today hopefully, but any suggestions would be appreciated. 20180911_094625.png 20180911_092010.jpg

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been following your thread/journey since I’m also having DK make my ring. While mine isn’t nearly as intricate and detailed as yours, I also felt the mid-point frustrations with the design and assumed I wasn’t getting my point across with the revisions I was attempting to explain. I’m finally on the downhill slope and I think it’s almost finalized.

Just wondering if you had any updates? Your ring is going to be absolutely stunning!!!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@michellelynn9175 thank you! I quit updating because no one seemed interested! :roll
I am in CASTING!!!! Amy said probably done in a week! Here's my final CADs and the final plastic. Friday night , really late, we were emailing back and forth about engraving details. She works long hours!
20181007_114942.png 20181007_115211.jpg

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
@michellelynn9175 thank you! I quit updating because no one seemed interested! :roll
I am in CASTING!!!! Amy said probably done in a week! Here's my final CADs and the final plastic. Friday night , really late, we were emailing back and forth about engraving details. She works long hours!
20181007_114942.png 20181007_115211.jpg

Oh no! I’m so sorry! I didn’t comment because I had zero advice to offer since I’ve never gone custom. :oops2:

I think they did an incredible job, and it’s going to be gorgeous! I really like the revisions. You did an amazing job with the design! I got my latest CADs super duper late Friday night too so they must’ve both been working overtime. I think one more revision and I should be ready for the mold too. It’s pretty exciting!

I cannot wait to see hand shots :kiss2:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@michellelynn9175 I hope I didn't sound whiny! It's ok, I was just a little frustrated there in the midst trying to get the look I wanted. But when you get that final cad, you'll be saying " Yes! This!"

I was really shocked when she said it's going to be finished so fast! My last ring took them weeks to finish.
I have been following your ring too. The good news is they seem to be working hard and completing a lot of projects right now. I bet once your design is finalized you'll get your finished set quickly. You will be so happy you went with them, you'll get a well made and solid ring.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
@michellelynn9175 I hope I didn't sound whiny! It's ok, I was just a little frustrated there in the midst trying to get the look I wanted. But when you get that final cad, you'll be saying " Yes! This!"

I was really shocked when she said it's going to be finished so fast! My last ring took them weeks to finish.
I have been following your ring too. The good news is they seem to be working hard and completing a lot of projects right now. I bet once your design is finalized you'll get your finished set quickly. You will be so happy you went with them, you'll get a well made and solid ring.

Not whiny at all! I totally get it. I’m one of those people that has to bounce ideas back and forth with others to brainstorm. My husband is the polar opposite, so website’s like this and WB have proven invaluable.

And even though this last CAD wasn’t the final one, it still made my heart sing. I can’t imagine what this next one will do to me :kiss2:

I still have to order the stones, so it’ll be a bit before I can get started with casting, but the frustrating part is out of the way. Are you going with gray gold? I thought I saw that somewhere you had said that. I plan on 14k YG, against my husbands wishes. :lol-2: He doesn’t have to wear it so I don’t really care if he likes it or not. :P2

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
You're probably smart to do that. Me, I had my stone sent straight from AV to DK so I've never even seen it. Been there since May! I am so anxious to see the ring and the stone!

I decided to go with Plat/Ru. I'm planning on this being my last wedding set (been married forever. ..same guy, lots of rings).
The gray gold is beautiful though- even though I chickened out for this set, I just bought a lavender spinel. Going to have DK set that in gray gold!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
You're probably smart to do that. Me, I had my stone sent straight from AV to DK so I've never even seen it. Been there since May! I am so anxious to see the ring and the stone!

I decided to go with Plat/Ru. I'm planning on this being my last wedding set (been married forever. ..same guy, lots of rings).
The gray gold is beautiful though- even though I chickened out for this set, I just bought a lavender spinel. Going to have DK set that in gray gold!

Oh, if I was getting mine from AV I’d have it sent straight to DK too because I know it will be gorgeous! I think I might get mine from Tianyu though, so I’d like to see them in person first. It’ll save me about $800 to go that route, and since I plan on upgrading to lab diamonds one day, it made more sense to save now. I hope I don’t regret my decision!!! Also the YG, because all my jewelry is WG aside from a few pieces. So lots of risks on my part o_O

Mines also an upgrade set (married almost 13 years) so I’m not in any hurry. Like you, I hope this is my forever set! If I like the moissanite enough, I may not even go through with the switch to lab diamonds. I have a feeling I’d rather spend that money on a trip to Jamaica or something. :geek2:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I had a decent diamond, not a PS diamond, but 1.5ct, H, Si. Sparkled like crazy. Hit hard in the 2008 recession, sold it (for 30% of what I paid for it!) Right then I knew diamonds were not really an" investment" .
I discovered OEC cut, moissanite, and lucky for my husband, I actually prefer moissanite.
More money for travel and other sparklies!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
So excited! Just talked to David and my rings will be ready to pick up on Friday! He's very nice (and I love his accent! ) Cannot wait to actually go to DK jewelry and get my new set!!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see the finished ring. I adore bezels and I'm sure yours is going to be fabulous!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot wait until Friday!!! Yay!!! :appl::dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results