shape
carat
color
clarity

Decision Fatigue

thenameisagent

Rough_Rock
I have spent quite a few years learning about antique jewelry. I am about to get engaged and I have seen SO many options of rings from different time periods, variety of specialty cuts, colored gemstones, on and on. I've looked at thousands of rings. I am going to NYC end of February and will be going to a couple antique and estate jewelers as well as some contemporary or vintage inspired stores I love, like Victor Barbone, Leigh Jay Nacht, Mociun, Erstwhile, etc. I can't decide if it's better to find an old diamond I like and have someone reasonably priced make it into a ring setting I want or if I just find an old mine cut ring and go with that or a million other options.

Cuts I like: Old Mine Cut, Old Euro, Emerald, Asscher, Oval
Color: I prefer G-M I think on the color scale for diamonds
Carat Size: I have a size 4.5 finger so I'm thinking right below a 1 ct to 1.9 ct depending on the ring. I don't want the stone to look like the size of my knuckle.
Cost: up to 15k if I absolutely loved the ring, but most likely I can find one I love for 5-10k

Accents: - I love yellow gold settings, art deco (often platinum), turquoise accents, emerald or ruby accents, onyx

How do you ever decide on one ring? How did you avoid decision fatigue?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember, elephants are eaten one bite at a time.

I'd try to eliminate shapes to two choices, and then start eliminating choices by size and what you think looks right on your finger.

In regards to size, maybe this will help. These are based on MRB's but gives you an idea how size might look on you. With OEC diamonds you will have small tables and steeper stones so the spread may decrease a little making you need to adjust the carat weight a little. If you use the web link you can put in some actual measurements of contenders to get a better idea.

Either way, here are some examples I ran for you. Nice thing is due to your finger size, a 1 carat looks very nice. I personally think a 1.9 looks too big. I'm a guy so take this with a grain of salt, but to me I'd say a 1.25 to 1.40 carat is about right.

https://www.diamdb.com/compare/1ct-round-vs-1.25ct-round/

Capture3.PNG

Capture2.PNG
Capture.PNG

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I love looking at everything - then, one thing or other fits into my life on its own; I do not quite set our to choose the beautiful things in life.

I would pass by Art of Platinum in NYC, if only to set something from Gem Concepts in one if their 'modern' solitaires.

Then, Diamonds by Lauren happens to have two crazy beautiful items on their shelves now: FIY & FY OECs...

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always been a step cut lover.
ALWAYS.
I inherited rings from passed relatives in my family with round cuts set in beautiful Art Deco style settings. Each ring contains one or more OEC.
I fell in love with antique cuts, as well.
Our most recent purchase was from Yoram @ GemConcepts. 7 gorgeous Vintage Cut Asscher Diamonds.
Just last night, I stopped at a local Jeweler’s to look at their collection of Royal Asschers (they were the only jeweler nearby that carried them, in store). This is not my usual jeweler. To my dismay, they no longer have them. I enjoyed popping in from time to time just to get my fix of Royal Asscher lust...lol!
However, the sales associate decided to show me their signature radiant cut MRB’s.
I honestly wanted to haul off & slap her, as I expressed my sole love in step cut diamonds....even requested to see ROYAL ASSCHERS, and she showed me ROUND BRILLIANTS. REALLY?!?

The heart knows what it wants.
Take some time to listen.
You’ll find what sings to you....

thenameisagent

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Those are great thoughts. I had not seen this tool before. This is great because I didn't have much to go on to compare the sizes. 1-1.5 is ideal I think.

Do you all consider Old Euro and Old Mine Cut similar? or at least categorize them together? I think Old Mine Cut/Old Euro and Oval are the winning styles, but I do love step cuts as an accent or in a second band or accent ring.

Remember, elephants are eaten one bite at a time.

I'd try to eliminate shapes to two choices, and then start eliminating choices by size and what you think looks right on your finger.

In regards to size, maybe this will help. These are based on MRB's but gives you an idea how size might look on you. With OEC diamonds you will have small tables and steeper stones so the spread may decrease a little making you need to adjust the carat weight a little. If you use the web link you can put in some actual measurements of contenders to get a better idea.

Either way, here are some examples I ran for you. Nice thing is due to your finger size, a 1 carat looks very nice. I personally think a 1.9 looks too big. I'm a guy so take this with a grain of salt, but to me I'd say a 1.25 to 1.40 carat is about right.

https://www.diamdb.com/compare/1ct-round-vs-1.25ct-round/

Capture3.PNG

Capture2.PNG
Capture.PNG

I love looking at everything - then, one thing or other fits into my life on its own; I do not quite set our to choose the beautiful things in life.

I would pass by Art of Platinum in NYC, if only to set something from Gem Concepts in one if their 'modern' solitaires.

Then, Diamonds by Lauren happens to have two crazy beautiful items on their shelves now: FIY & FY OECs...

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Those are great thoughts. I had not seen this tool before. This is great because I didn't have much to go on to compare the sizes. 1-1.5 is ideal I think.

Do you all consider Old Euro and Old Mine Cut similar? or at least categorize them together? I think Old Mine Cut/Old Euro and Oval are the winning styles, but I do love step cuts as an accent or in a second band or accent ring.

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

I think of OEC and OMC as different.

https://4cs.gia.edu/en-us/blog/old-mine-cut-diamond/

130291-960x960-old-mine-cut.jpg

59968-960x960-old-European-cut.jpg

thenameisagent

Rough_Rock
I have been to Diamonds by Grace. Lovely pieces, just nothing that I thought was to die for. I've been looking at places online for years.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re going to nyc, stop by OWD to see OECs in real life and just see what speaks to you. You will know when it does.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been to Diamonds by Grace. Lovely pieces, just nothing that I thought was to die for. I've been looking at places online for years.

o_O o_O o_O

Nothing spoke to you in YEARS?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
OEC & OMC are both species of brilliant with larger facets - so, yes, more similar to each other than to anything else. Some rounded square diamonds - I might call OEC one day and OMC another day.

There are ovals in this style too, if not common (eg. @Niel 's avatar picture).

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To answer your question about how I decided about my ring. Trial and error. Unfortunately. I started off with a princess. Then I found myself admiring a round from afar. So I swapped to mrb. Took me a few weeks to realize which color I could live with. All the while staying within budget. Tried out oec and omc and asschers in rhr’s and realize that my one true love is a mrb. Color can’t be below an I. But I’m not clarity sensitive even though I have great eyes. So an SI 2 is just fine. Cut is priority and for me, that’s why I love the round. I like that people can see it coming miles away.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fellow antique lover here. First and foremost, how important are diamond specs to you? If you're big on the 4 Cs then you'd be best off picking your diamond first, and custom design a setting after. On the other hand, if you love the historical aspect of antique rings, and you'd rather consider the gemstones in the context of the whole ring, then an antique could work for you.

Do you tend to gravitate towards the style of a particular period? I'd suggest narrowing your search by that parameter, and from there you can articulate what design elements you like the most - halos, target rings, filigree, etc. That would also factor into whether you would want antique or custom. For example, a Georgian ring could be too delicate for everyday wear since diamonds were often foiled and set in silver, but a repro can be made in a similar, sturdier style. Edwardian rings were often handmade in platinum and gold, but the designs can be too intricate for modern jewelers to reproduce.

Whichever route you go, just remember that you can always reset or upgrade if you change your mind in the future. I am on my second (and final) reset for my engagement ring, and I have some antique rings for my right hand.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have spent quite a few years learning about antique jewelry. I am about to get engaged and I have seen SO many options of rings from different time periods, variety of specialty cuts, colored gemstones, on and on. I've looked at thousands of rings. I am going to NYC end of February and will be going to a couple antique and estate jewelers as well as some contemporary or vintage inspired stores I love, like Victor Barbone, Leigh Jay Nacht, Mociun, Erstwhile, etc. I can't decide if it's better to find an old diamond I like and have someone reasonably priced make it into a ring setting I want or if I just find an old mine cut ring and go with that or a million other options.

Cuts I like: Old Mine Cut, Old Euro, Emerald, Asscher, Oval
Color: I prefer G-M I think on the color scale for diamonds
Carat Size: I have a size 4.5 finger so I'm thinking right below a 1 ct to 1.9 ct depending on the ring. I don't want the stone to look like the size of my knuckle.
Cost: up to 15k if I absolutely loved the ring, but most likely I can find one I love for 5-10k

Accents: - I love yellow gold settings, art deco (often platinum), turquoise accents, emerald or ruby accents, onyx

How do you ever decide on one ring? How did you avoid decision fatigue?

I think your shopping trip will help you a lot. Some of the things you love may fall flat on your hand. Others you hadn't considered may surprise you!
I'd also consider a trip to Old World Diamonds and Israel Rose/New York Estate Jewelry. I think OWD will be very instructive because they will have many loose stones so you can decide what color range you like most, whereas the others mentioned will be good for deciding on what setting style suits you best.

thenameisagent

Rough_Rock
Fellow antique lover here. First and foremost, how important are diamond specs to you? If you're big on the 4 Cs then you'd be best off picking your diamond first, and custom design a setting after. On the other hand, if you love the historical aspect of antique rings, and you'd rather consider the gemstones in the context of the whole ring, then an antique could work for you.

Do you tend to gravitate towards the style of a particular period? I'd suggest narrowing your search by that parameter, and from there you can articulate what design elements you like the most - halos, target rings, filigree, etc. That would also factor into whether you would want antique or custom. For example, a Georgian ring could be too delicate for everyday wear since diamonds were often foiled and set in silver, but a repro can be made in a similar, sturdier style. Edwardian rings were often handmade in platinum and gold, but the designs can be too intricate for modern jewelers to reproduce.

Whichever route you go, just remember that you can always reset or upgrade if you change your mind in the future. I am on my second (and final) reset for my engagement ring, and I have some antique rings for my right hand.

Thank you all!! I went to quite a few places - Leigh Jay Nacht, Mociun, Erica Weiner, Victor Barbone Jewelry (amazing customer service and GORGEOUS rings - antique and modern/repro settings with antique diamonds). I found the ring I want. I tried on numerous, but this one was just to die for. https://www.victorbarbone.com/produ...qGurwN3Ra3mHHbaaJa2pQb-70tsUmRkMaArASEALw_wcB

I'm also going to get a separate band that I can wear if I do not want to wear a sparkly diamond (e.g., bankruptcy court meetings where I represent debtors). I found an enamel floral band that I am thinking might work perfectly.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all!! I went to quite a few places - Leigh Jay Nacht, Mociun, Erica Weiner, Victor Barbone Jewelry (amazing customer service and GORGEOUS rings - antique and modern/repro settings with antique diamonds). I found the ring I want. I tried on numerous, but this one was just to die for. https://www.victorbarbone.com/produ...qGurwN3Ra3mHHbaaJa2pQb-70tsUmRkMaArASEALw_wcB

I'm also going to get a separate band that I can wear if I do not want to wear a sparkly diamond (e.g., bankruptcy court meetings where I represent debtors). I found an enamel floral band that I am thinking might work perfectly.
What a beautiful ring! Definitely unique and different. Congrats on your engagement and I hope you share more photos.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That chunky antique cushion goodness! :love:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your new ring! The diamond is just so gorgeous!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE the ring, and the fact that you didn't settle for what you didn't love and were willing to search for what you did. :mrgreen2:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh what a beautiful ring! Congratulations on your engagement. I’d love to see your band if you have pictures - an enamel floral band sounds exquisite.

thenameisagent

Rough_Rock
Gosh what a beautiful ring! Congratulations on your engagement. I’d love to see your band if you have pictures - an enamel floral band sounds exquisite.

Sorry for the delay. Need to update notification settings I guess since I didn't see this.

The ring sold before I could decide. Probably a good thing for the price, but I am more than a bit sad and can't find anything else to even feel close.

Here's a pic. I found it when it had been resold to a second or third antique seller - the price went up exponentially. Kinda crazy actually. It's the second band down.

image1.png

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@thenameisagent may I ask whether the_curio was the original seller, or the current seller at the higher price?

thenameisagent

Rough_Rock
the_curio was not the original seller.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@thenameisagent I'm sorry to hear you missed out when it was priced lower. I'll let you know if I come across anything similar!

Also, that seller has some interesting feedback. I have never purchased from her, but it's been eye-opening to read experiences from those who have.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results