shape
carat
color
clarity

David yurman black diamonds scam?

staralliance

Rough_Rock
Hi ,
I recently purchased the black diamonds tag by david yurman on ebay. Seller seems to be legit with many feedback and previous history. He also mentioned the piece is 100% authentic. I received the tag and sent it to my jeweler and he said the black diamonds are not real (he checked them using that device in the pic attached) I want to confirm with you does david yurman use real black diamonds? Or just stones? Please advise before i return this. .

1556175153794.jpg 1556175150074.jpg

staralliance

Rough_Rock
I see, thanks for the reply. But do you know if david yurman is real black diamonds ?
thanks

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I see, thanks for the reply. But do you know if david yurman is real black diamonds ?
thanks

David Yurman is a reputable brand. So yes, they will use real black diamonds. I'm not sure why someone would even bother faking black diamonds anyway. Small melee-size Black diamonds are worth a few bucks a piece wholesale (if even that much), so I'm not sure why a jeweler would put their reputation on the line by putting fake black diamond melee in one of their pieces.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David Yurman is a reputable brand. So yes, they will use real black diamonds. I'm not sure why someone would even bother faking black diamonds anyway. Small melee-size Black diamonds are worth a few bucks a piece wholesale (if even that much), so I'm not sure why a jeweler would put their reputation on the line by putting fake black diamond melee in one of their pieces.
This. In melee sizes, using fake black diamonds wouldn't save $$, so wouldn't be worth it for anyone. Certainly not worth it for a reputable brand who says they are using diamonds .

staralliance

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info! So how I can verify if they are legit or not ? Maybe that seller on ebay send sells me counterfeit...
thanks

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are not sure and feel uncomfortable about it, I would suggest returning the jewelry for peace of mind.

This. As far as confirming whether they are black diamonds, well, that is relatively easy. Take it to the jeweler and have him scratch the table with a scrap piece of synthetic corundum (lab sapphire). If it scratches the table, then the stones are most likely dyed glass. If not, then they're most likely black diamonds.

As far as confirming whether it's an authentic David Yurman piece, well, that's more difficult. There are many very good replicas of designer pieces out there. A qualified appraiser may be able to help you with confirming it's authenticity, but you would likely need to pay for a full appraisal ($50-150), which, for a cheap piece of jewelry, likely wouldn't be worth it. That's the downside of purchasing designer pieces on Ebay. For cheap designer pieces, you typically just need to take the sellers word that it's authentic (or be willing to live with the fact that it may be a very good fake).

If the seller has given you any reason to doubt their honesty or the authenticity of the item, then return it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This. As far as confirming whether they are black diamonds, well, that is relatively easy. Take it to the jeweler and have him scratch the table with a scrap piece of synthetic corundum (lab sapphire). If it scratches the table, then the stones are most likely dyed glass. If not, then they're most likely black diamonds.
Black diamonds can be crumbly for lack of a better term so such a test could damage real black diamonds.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
eBay is notorious for sellers (especially from China) selling fake stuff but having 100% positive feedback due to their willingness to refund to those few people who know enough to know that the stuff is fake, and to let those people keep the piece in question in exchange for a positive rating. I don’t put faith in positive ratings anymore. (I’ve had a few experiences buying china to complete my tableware set too where what has been sent was either a fake or an undisclosed second quality piece). If you are in doubt, return it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results