carat
color
clarity

Dark purple spinel

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I have recently won an eBay auction for a cushion cut purple spinel
Here it is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VS-2-91ct-9x7-8mm-Cushion-Natural-Purple-Spinel-MGOK/372649662245

What do you guys think? Not clear enough? Too dark? Anything? I'm a bit worried about the colour (definitely not top) even though I quite like it.
Also is the estimated value (500$+) any close to reality?

I'm clueless when it comes to gemstone price guides so if anyone could enlighten me I would be extremely grateful :kiss2::read:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like it will be very dark and gray, but for $17, I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. There was a time on eBay when you could get high quality spinels for great prices. I’m afraid that’s unfortunately no longer the case.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like it will be very dark and gray, but for $17, I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. There was a time on eBay when you could get high quality spinels for great prices. I’m afraid that’s unfortunately no longer the case.
Exactly. I think it will look very dark in real life, perhaps almost brown/black. But for $18 I wouldn't worry about it. It's definitely not worth close to $500, but if it's pretty then it's a win, and if it's not then you only spwnt $18.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
I requested a shot on a white surface to see what it would look like. Fingers crossed

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The important thing is that YOU have to love it. There are some people that like dark grey spinels and I think for $17, you can’t go wrong. I hope you enjoy it when you receive it. :))

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, any tips on how to recognize windows in gemstones?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4EEBB5E8-51B1-4223-96F0-887DD89CAD20.jpeg
If your line of sight is perpendicular to the table of the gem, and you can clearly see through it, that is a window. They can make the gem look dull in the middle, while there’s sparkle in the perimeter. For example here’s a very famous gem with an enormous window which is quite obvious. They usually occur when a gem is cut too shallow. Some settings can minimize their appearance.

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Can you post a picture of the stone after you received it? I just bought a sapphire on eBay dirt cheap and curious how your stone looks in person.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
The stone is not very different from the seller pictures, and also I'm not really great with cameras (sorry) again for the price I paid it seems ok, I definitely didn't expect top colour or anything extraordinary, but the mysterious and particular allure of the dark purple is there in my opinion

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Can you post a picture of the stone after you received it? I just bought a sapphire on eBay dirt cheap and curious how your stone looks in person.
Did you receive your stone? If yes what do you think?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results