shape
carat
color
clarity

Crazy to Buy Diamond not Eye Clean??

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone! First post here!

I have been looking for a diamond for my engagement ring and really fell in love with this particular diamond: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4054987.htm

Problem is that it is not eye clean. Although there is really only one major inclusion (at the 3 o'clock), it is visible according to the sales rep and is reflected to the 9 o'clock side. On the other hand, the cut looks really good to me (tell me if I am mistaken.) I feel like the fire/brilliance is great and also it does look very colorless since it is an F. Plus it is a good size for a good price. I looked at two other diamonds around that size and price range. One lacked fire/ brilliance in my opinion after comparing the videos. The other was an H and cost more than this one.

What do you guys think? Would the inclusion drive you crazy? Would it hurt my ability to sell the diamond if I ever needed to? Many thanks for your thoughts!

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
What do you guys think? Would the inclusion drive you crazy? Would it hurt my ability to sell the diamond if I ever needed to? Many thanks for your thoughts!

Welcome to Pricescope,

Everyone has different tolerances when it comes to inclusions just like colour. The question is would the inclusion bother you knowing it's there? Would you prefer something mind clean ? You might have to go higher in clarity if you do.

You don't have to worry about selling the ACA brand. Whiteflash has an amazing upgrade policy. Return your current diamond at full credit value spend a dollar or more and upgrade to something that suits your needs.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might consider having it sent to you and checking it out in person. They may be able to hide the reflection under a prong.
Its showing up around an arrow so dont know how that factors in. Funny how its harder to see the real inclusion and easier to
see the reflection. What kind of setting are you considering? 4 prong/6 prong? It does look to be a really beautiful stone
(plus an F on top of that so super white).

Any way you can see it in person?

Edit...you can ask for some photos in a white tray say at different distances away.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you'll only know when you see it in person if it works for you or not....but there are a lot of people on PS that have "SI" diamonds, even "I" and love them. From the video it looks to me like it wouldn't be noticeable in person but if it will nag at you, that's another consideration. I don't think it would inhibit resale if that was necessary.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that you should inspect this diamond in person as the inclusions are likely readily visible.

Unlike other posters I do think the inclusions will affect its resale to the degree where the resale takes more time and/or you have to go lower in resale price than you'd like in order to make a sale. For those reasons, if you believe resale of the diamond is as likely as not, I'd recommend against this stone.

If instead you mean you may find in time the inclusions bother you to the point where you'd prefer another diamond through WF's generous upgrade policy, then resale isn't a consideration and if (after your inspection) the included diamond meets your present requirements, go for it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Millions of people are wearing diamonds with eye visible inclusions and love them.
It is up to what you feel about it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is hard to answer bc it's all about your preferences/tolerance. It wouldn't bother me at all, but I'm not super sensitive to that kind of thing. I'd have them take pics for you so you can see what it looks like IRL.

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the responses guys! This was the other diamond that was recommended to me but for some reason it looks less attractive and shiny to me. I don’t know if I am just being weird. I feel like it has less fire in the video.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3765688.htm

I probably won’t have a chance to inspect any diamond before I buy it since I am trying to get in before the sales tax comes into affect in California!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the responses guys! This was the other diamond that was recommended to me but for some reason it looks less attractive and shiny to me. I don’t know if I am just being weird. I feel like it has less fire in the video.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3765688.htm

I probably won’t have a chance to inspect any diamond before I buy it since I am trying to get in before the sales tax comes into affect in California!
I would have WF take pics of both stones in natural light. They can also make videos, etc. I think both are beautiful, but ultimately its up to you!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I came across this diamond which may be suitable.

Normally HPD have a slight premium but this seems very reasonably priced for your needs.

http://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10696

Some SI2s are cleaner than Si1s which I think this will be. It's a G so still very white and 1000 cheaper. If selling is a concern, they have a lifetime 80 precent payback guarantee.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Normally HPD have a slight premium but this seems very reasonably priced for your needs.

Some SI2s are cleaner than Si1s which I think this will be. It's a G so still very white and 1000 cheaper. If selling is a concern, they have a lifetime 80 precent payback guarantee.

BTW HP diamonds guarantees all stones are eye clean, even their SI2s, so they are going to be much cleaner than the average SI2. It's like finding a "unicorn".

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock

I have never heard of HPD, how do they compare with whiteflash ACA?

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They have a stellar reputation here. Also superideal cut vendor.

There's plenty of reviews here and they exclusively sell CBI stones. I would have no problems buying from either, for me it would come down to which store has a diamond that suits my needs at a time for the better price.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
I have never heard of HPD, how do they compare with whiteflash ACA?

HPD = High Performance Diamonds
They are a Vendor that sells crafted by infinity diamonds which is a super ideal brand comparable to Whiteflash ACA brand.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is inappropriate for me to comment on another retailer's diamond as per forum policies, which I agree with as being good policies.

I will comment on my opinion of non eye clean diamonds.

If the diamond is only not eye clean under very close examination, then it can be a tremendous diamond to consider. Looking, for all intents and purposes, like an eye clean diamond to all but those in the know and those with lasers for eyes, there is a lot of value to many being able to buy a diamond that would be out of budget without those inclusions. Of course, there will be those for whom this is an absolute non starter. Others will be more than willing to trade up to a much larger diamond than they would be able to afford if they were sticking to VVS clarity diamonds.

In my nearly fifty years in the trade, I have sold many diamonds that were as low as I1 in clarity, yet still beautiful. One of my wife's engagement rings, I admit to having bought her several over the years, was an Eightstar that was an I1 with a gletz near the girdle. I set it in a 22 kt yellow gold raised bezel mounting, and as far as seeing the I1, not possible. Even before I set the diamond, she loved it as it was nearly impossible to see even before it was mounted.

Of course, if you can see the inclusion from across the room, then it is a much easier question to answer. Most people would never consider such a diamond, yet many stores sell such diamonds on a daily basis.

I will say also, KUDOS to your sales associate for telling you the truth about what she could see. It is always refreshing to see this, and I always expect to see good things from the retailers here at Pricescope.

Wink

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like that HPD :)

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all of your feedback! Now you have been all twisted over the HPD!! If it is in fact eye clean, that is a great deal! The ASET of that diamond does look a bit lighter and more white than the ASET of the Whiteflash diamond. Is that just a lighting issue with the photo or is it that there is more light leakage in the HPD?

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all of your feedback! Now you have been all twisted over the HPD!! If it is in fact eye clean, that is a great deal! The ASET of that diamond does look a bit lighter and more white than the ASET of the Whiteflash diamond. Is that just a lighting issue with the photo or is it that there is more light leakage in the HPD?

There will be no light leakage in a HPD diamond. The light performance and optical symmetry will be amazing.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No leakage in that ASET. It's a white backlit ASET so under the table will always look a few percent lighter than under the crown, even in the best cut diamond.

WF have a different ASET set up, it isn't backlit, and the red therefore appears more homogeneous. Neither will demonstrate any leakage.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
WF diamonds are awesome, but so are CBI diamonds. In this case I would definitely go with the CBI one.

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone! I have reached out to them! You guys are the best!

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
I have an update! So I contacted HPD about the diamond that @gm89uk recommended and received this video of the diamond. I think it is probably the winner but wanted to get all of your opinions before making the plunge.

As a recap, I am looking for a diamond over 1 carat, around SI1-IF, H-D, and a super ideal cut. My budget is under 10K for the diamond. Even with that budget, I think it is hard to find another diamond that is a better value than the one gm89uk found. Here are the stats:

CUT QUALITY CRAFTED BY INFINITY
CARAT WEIGHT 1.22 CARATS
CLARITY GRADE SI2
COLOR GRADE G
FLUORESCENCE NEGLIGIBLE
LAB REPORT AGS PLATINUM
MEASUREMENTS 6.86 - 6.89 x 4.25 mm
TABLE SIZE 55.4%
TOTAL DEPTH 61.7%
PAVILION ANGLE 40.7°
CROWN ANGLE 34.6°
LIGHT PERFORMANCE Ideal
POLISH GRADE Ideal
SYMMETRY GRADE Ideal

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10696

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
I have an update! So I contacted HPD about the diamond that @gm89uk recommended and received this video of the diamond. I think it is probably the winner but wanted to get all of your opinions before making the plunge.

As a recap, I am looking for a diamond over 1 carat, around SI1-IF, H-D, and a super ideal cut. My budget is under 10K for the diamond. Even with that budget, I think it is hard to find another diamond that is a better value than the one gm89uk found. Here are the stats:

CARAT WEIGHT 1.22 CARATS
CLARITY GRADE SI2
COLOR GRADE G
FLUORESCENCE NEGLIGIBLE
LAB REPORT AGS PLATINUM
TABLE SIZE 55.4%
TOTAL DEPTH 61.7%
PAVILION ANGLE 40.7°
CROWN ANGLE 34.6°
LIGHT PERFORMANCE Ideal
POLISH GRADE Ideal
SYMMETRY GRADE Ideal

You have a winner don't hesitate, put it on hold and buy it before someone snatches it under your nose.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock

CARAT WEIGHT 1.22 CARATS
CLARITY GRADE SI2
COLOR GRADE G
FLUORESCENCE NEGLIGIBLE
LAB REPORT AGS PLATINUM
TABLE SIZE 55.4%
TOTAL DEPTH 61.7%
PAVILION ANGLE 40.7°
CROWN ANGLE 34.6°
LIGHT PERFORMANCE Ideal
POLISH GRADE Ideal
SYMMETRY GRADE Ideal

Don't think you can go wrong at all with that stone. It looks beautiful! And I love @Wink, he makes such funny videos.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't think you can go wrong at all with that stone. It looks beautiful! And I love @Wink, he makes such funny videos.
His commentary on this one was the best :lol:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For the price, and the clarity, seems the CBI is a no compromise stone!

Ereeg

Rough_Rock
That’s a great deal! I have a very similar specs one from WF (1.26 G si1 but faces up about the same as yours very only slightly bigger) for $600 more. If eye clean and the inclusions don’t impact performance that’s great!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
omg that CBI is incredible! Hands down it's a winner.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results