shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused

xtina334

Rough_Rock
Hello, I designed my ring and picked it up yesterday after waiting awhile...

when I got it I noticed that the center stone looks blue/dark. It’s an I in color, and the flourescence is “faint”, could this possibly be from reflecting off the V-prong tips?
Also, my side stones are a G, so why is there such a contrast between the side stones and center stone :(

And...why can I see part of my ring through one of the side stones? Is this an inclusion?

F98E58D0-7C60-4253-83C9-81BBCA84F903.jpeg 07960A60-2F69-4181-A62D-79281FF8D6DF.png 5BC9E234-2387-4F0B-A0AA-E28206100F29.png

Thank you for all of your help

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the first photo, you definitely have purple light in your environment. I see some pink light reflections on your side stone and prongs as well.
In the second photo, the lighting is very cool, almost bluish white. Maybe flash? or other direct light source directly over the diamond? Again, the diamonds are just reflecting the color of incoming light.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
From the photos it does appear there is some discoloration on the prongs and V tips. It appears that the blue/grey color is present on the entire head and is therefore probably also present underneath the stone and showing up through the stone. Some of the darkness may be coming from the 'bow tie' effect of the marquise. Do you have a lab report on the stone?

I would suggest taking it back to the jeweler and getting it thoroughly cleaned. If the discoloration is due to fire scale or some such problem, the center stone may need to be removed and all the metal of the head re-polished.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The dark spot in the middle is a bowtie.

xtina334

Rough_Rock
In the first photo, you definitely have purple light in your environment. I see some pink light reflections on your side stone and prongs as well.
In the second photo, the lighting is very cool, almost bluish white. Maybe flash? or other direct light source directly over the diamond? Again, the diamonds are just reflecting the color of incoming light.
Thank you. I did have the flash on, but even in daylight I can still see the difference. I am getting the prongs removed so maybe that will help.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
here is my best guess.
side stones are NOT certified G color by GIA or AGS and the jeweler sold you stones that are I or j in color and you are seeing more tint because of the angle of the stones ( a tinted stone shows more color when seen at an angle instead of faceup and that setting has them at an angle)

Regarding the marquise. Once set all marquise look different than when loose. Almost every marquise is going to show the prominent bowtie once set. If you do buy a different marquise I recommend seeing it set in your setting BEFORE buying ( no a temp setting will not look the same)
Once set, most marquise look like a bowtie with crushed ice sitting on top and bottom pointing up and down in non - jewelry store lighting . It is the nature of the cut.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Marquise are a very shallow cut. If you are going to leave the stone in the ring I do not recommend removing any prongs. I have seen many that are set in 6 prong still chip when worn as a ring. I would not recommend removing the prongs.

xtina334

Rough_Rock
From the photos it does appear there is some discoloration on the prongs and V tips. It appears that the blue/grey color is present on the entire head and is therefore probably also present underneath the stone and showing up through the stone. Some of the darkness may be coming from the 'bow tie' effect of the marquise. Do you have a lab report on the stone?

I would suggest taking it back to the jeweler and getting it thoroughly cleaned. If the discoloration is due to fire scale or some such problem, the center stone may need to be removed and all the metal of the head re-polished.

I am getting the prongs removed so maybe that will help.
Do you know what the translucent spot in the side stone would be?
Thank you x

xtina334

Rough_Rock
here is my best guess.
side stones are NOT certified G color by GIA or AGS and the jeweler sold you stones that are I or j in color and you are seeing more tint because of the angle of the stones ( a tinted stone shows more color when seen at an angle instead of faceup and that setting has them at an angle)

Regarding the marquise. Once set all marquise look different than when loose. Almost every marquise is going to show the prominent bowtie once set. If you do buy a different marquise I recommend seeing it set in your setting BEFORE buying ( no a temp setting will not look the same)
Once set, most marquise look like a bowtie with crushed ice sitting on top and bottom pointing up and down in non - jewelry store lighting . It is the nature of the cut.

So you think my side stones are I or J? If they are, why don't they match my I color center stone, I really wanted them to match. Is it possible that the side stones are reflecting off the gold band as well?
Here is my ring without flash: IMG_1575.jpg IMG_1582.jpg

xtina334

Rough_Rock
Marquise are a very shallow cut. If you are going to leave the stone in the ring I do not recommend removing any prongs. I have seen many that are set in 6 prong still chip when worn as a ring. I would not recommend removing the prongs.
Really? I was thinking about the 6 prong instead... :( I was going to see if they could move the marquise up a little as well because it seems like one half is longer than the other side if that makes sense?

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are any of the 3 stones certified by AGS or GIA?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So you think my side stones are I or J? If they are, why don't they match my I color center stone, I really wanted them to match. Is it possible that the side stones are reflecting off the gold band as well?
In these images, the blueness and darkness problem is nonexistent.

xtina334

Rough_Rock
In these images, the blueness and darkness problem is nonexistent.

Yeah, I've noticed it's really just with flash, but I can still see a bit of blueness in regular daylight.

Sorry for all the questions, do you know why one half of the marquise is longer than the other half? Could this be just how it was set, or do jewelers purposely do that if the diamond isn't completely symmetrical and equal halves? If that makes any sense haha

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yeah, I've noticed it's really just with flash, but I can still see a bit of blueness in regular daylight.

Sorry for all the questions, do you know why one half of the marquise is longer than the other half? Could this be just how it was set, or do jewelers purposely do that if the diamond isn't completely symmetrical and equal halves? If that makes any sense haha
I'm not sure I am seeing that in the images. It could asymmetry of the diamond or just be the way it is set. The V tips could be creating that illusion as well. They are good for security, but can sometimes be difficult to get looking perfectly equal, thereby creating some visual asymmetry.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like Texas Leaguer said, there is no darkness or blueness. In these photos, the lighting is warm white, and you are seeing creamy white reflections. The side stones are tilted. From that angle, you are not seeing any light return. What you are seeing is your ring, finger, the color temperature of the light source, and the color of the stone. And that's why the side stones appear more yellow. I recommend you visit James Allen's website and rotate a J color diamond. It will be significantly yellower when viewed from side.

The diamonds are behaving as expected and normally. They are reflecting the color of incoming light whether it is purple, cool white or warm white. The bowtie goes away as you tilt the stone and/or increase the viewing distance. It is a beautiful ring. You should sleep now.

Last edited:

xtina334

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure I am seeing that in the images. It could asymmetry of the diamond or just be the way it is set. The V tips could be creating that illusion as well. They are good for security, but can sometimes be difficult to get looking perfectly equal, thereby creating some visual asymmetry.

Thank you:twirl:

xtina334

Rough_Rock
Like Texas Leaguer said, there is no darkness or blueness. In these photos, the lighting is warm white, and you are seeing creamy white reflections. The side stones are tilted. From that angle, you are not seeing any light return. What you are seeing is your ring, finger, the color temperature of the light source, and the color of the stone. And that's why the side stones appear more yellow. I recommend you visit James Allen's website and rotate a J color diamond. It will be significantly yellower when viewed from side.

The diamonds are behaving as expected and normally. They are reflecting the color of incoming light whether it is purple, cool white or warm white. The bowtie goes away as you tilt the stone and/or increase the viewing distance. It is a beautiful ring. You should sleep now.
Thank you! I'm so incredibly picky... :(
Now I am worrying about the "windowing" as seen in the 2nd and 3rd pics in the first post. Do you think this is a defect and should I get this side stone replaced?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With any gem, when you tilt the stone just right, you can get windowing. Some stones are going to show it more than others, and the flattish side stones will tend to show this from the tilted angle from the center diamond.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results