shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing (specific) ~2.4ct stones from different sites with different grading systems -- help!

Which do you think is the best buy for the price?

• Yadav 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yadav 2

• BE 1

• BE 2

• Total voters

lcl169

Rough_Rock
Hi!

So my soon-to-be-fiancée (knock on wood) and I have talked engagement rings. Our budget is up to $9K for the stone, and we *want* a lab-grown diamond. I used to work in jewelry (boutique handmade bridal and semiprecious stuff) so I'm fairly knowledgeably about the ratio that we're looking for, the general weight, and sacrifices in depth for spread, for example. I'm not knowledgeable about evaluating eye-cleanness and light retention with this particular cut (Emerald) & carat weight (2.15-2.65ct)...which is where I could use some help!

I found two on Yadav, and two on Brilliant Earth. My question is about evaluating the eye-cleanness of the stones, and their relative value. To add onto the complexity, the two sites use different grading systems (IGI and GCAL)...what do people think about their relative reliability and usefulness? The videos on Yadav make the stones I'm considering appear significantly cleaner despite having the same clarity and notable inclusions in the grading report...to the point that I'm almost suspicious.

Here they are for comparison below. I'd love to hear more educated or experienced opinions...I think I may be driving my partner mad! PLEASE HELP! :)

Thanks!
-LL

P.S. We are going with these color grades because we intend to set it in yellow gold, and hear that up to a J should look fine. Feel free to correct me if you think otherwise!

Yadav 1. https://www.yadavjewelry.com/products/emerald-diamond-j-vs1-yd5643927 (2.25, J, VS1)
Yadav 2. https://www.yadavjewelry.com/products/Emerald-diamond-J-VS1-YD5983839 (2.16, J, VS1 - similar LxW, less deep)

BE 1. https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/7609930/ (2.65, I, VS2)
BE 2. https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/7563149/ (2.62, J, VS1)

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BE has a few showrooms, is there any chance you can visit one to see diamonds in person. My concerns are:
1. IGI has a reputation for being softer on grading so the J may not really be a GIA J.
2. Body color is more noticeable in emerald cuts than rounds. Will your FI be happy with a J emerald? We all have different eyeballs and different color sensitivity. I would be happy with a J, but many would not.
Once you’ve confirmed what color your FI wants then we can look at cut. Please note I t is impossible to judge how an emerald performs from just a photo. You want to see how the facets flashy on and off. Are there some that always stay dark? Does it twinkle throughout the stone as you move it?

lcl169

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply! That info on IGI is super helpful!

Sadly we live in the only major city that seems not to have a BE showroom (NYC)! Although next time we're in DC maybe we can schedule a viewing.

Most of the stones I'm considering had videos (see links in my post for all but the smallest stone), which were very sparkly to my eye, but of course they're under MASSIVE magnification. I'll keep that in consideration, especially for the one I was considering without a video. If you haven't taken a look at those videos, I'd love your input/opinion!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard to assess because of the different camera and lighting setups :( but for me...:

#4 - looks leaky / window-y at the short ends when rotated, and I'm not sure there's enough contrast when (almost :roll: ) head-on. It could be the lighting setup, though! Hard to tell exactly how the colour looks.

#3 - I prefer the contrast patterns on this stone (personally speaking, of course) and I think it is a bit more visually interesting when moving? The ends looks a bit window-y again, so I'm wondering if it is just the lighting setup meaning the surface behind it is the same as the surface in front of it (that might be being reflected) making it difficult to work it out, as mentioned. Hard to tell exactly how the colour looks.

#1 - I quite like this one in the video, although it is perhaps lacking a little bit of dark contrast (which is likely due to lighting setup). The short ends work pretty well, bar what looks like a small amount of windowing at the bottom of the triangles. Colour looks pretty good (if you're sensitive to it) and clarity looks great to me, although your comments re: the videos potentially being misleading are noted. MMDs sometimes have brown undertones to their colour, it seems, so check it out and see if it has any / if it bothers you (which are not the same thing, lol).

#2 - no video so difficult to assess. Looks quite nice in the picture but I'd want a video!

Do check out the August Vintage offerings from Rhino as well, and drop him a line if you can't see anything that suits - he may be able to get you something great for a good price!

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Rhino has a beautiful 2.40 Emerald cut.. fabulous optics. Do check out August vintage and select lab grown. There's a youtube video of the stone as well.

lcl169

Rough_Rock
@OoohShiny & @OcnGypZ Thanks for your feedback & suggestions to check out Rhino! I'll go look! :dance:Do you suggest other online sources of Lab diamonds you respect/trust?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a 'List of MMD vendors' post in this section of the forum - check it out! :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results