shape
carat
color
clarity

Colombian emerald - Thoughts please !!

vik84

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone on the community for all their advice so far, it's been a treasure trove !

Considering a 3ct+ Colombian Muzo emerald from one of the vendors (they're not on the usual list of recommended vendors). The stone is SSEF certified to be free of any treatment, origin confirmed, "medium strong saturation". I like the stone's color, but I was looking for an eye-clean stone which seems to be really hard with emeralds. Pls see the photos and let me know what you think asap. Thanks ! 33534091_183619809138309_2852300597456011264_n.jpg IMG_8779.JPG 2iz9ud.gif 2iza2t.gif

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about buying emeralds but I think that is stunning!

Edited to add: emeralds are generally included. Natural emeralds of that size and color, with no treatments, would be prohibitively expensive.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice. Good tone and saturation.
But yes, emeralds are included, it’s their crystalline structure. You basically won’t find a “flawless” emerald.
Nice shape gem, my humble opinion- set in platinium with say 2 x 1/2 carat baguette diamonds (1 either side) = superb.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
It is a very clear emerald, and very pretty. I tend to favor them to be just a hair lighter in tone as to be more glowy. But I am far from an emerald expert. I wish you happy hunting!

voce

Ideal_Rock
That emerald is remarkably eye-clean. Personally if I were buying Muzo I wouldn't just be buying for the origin but also for a signature color--just a tad more of a blue secondary hue, and perhaps a more satiny, limpid crystal look. I don't know which labs are the most respected for emerald, but just please make sure they're not giving you a fake certificate. An untreated, natural emerald that's that eye-clean and large should cost at least $15k-$18k, probably more since it's over the 3 ct mark, so if the stone you're looking at is priced significantly lower I'd immediately get suspicious.

vik84

Rough_Rock
It's definitely not priced lower, the best price I'm able to get is $18K/carat, so about $58K total. Seems a bit high to me, so would love to get all your opinions.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This already is finer clarity than reasonable to expect, IHMO.

You do not have to be reasonable, however. Emeralds with perfect clarity and colour do exist - they are a sort of marvel, barely expected anywhere. If you want one badly enough to insist, wait & pay for it, it will be a small treasure...

I am not sure whom I'd ask for better. Bill Larson comes to mind, just because Pala Intl. does deal with very high expectations often.

Thinking out loud,

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
It does seem high to me too, but when it comes to super rare stuff like this, it's a seller's market, and I do not doubt that the seller can eventually find a buyer at that price, especially in Spain and Latin American countries where the demand for emerald trumps even demand for diamond.

So, a 2ct untreated emerald from a trusted vendor is showing an ask price of $6000/ct. For a 3ct size, I expect to pay double that per carat, so maybe $12k/ct. However, if the seller does not budge on the price, there is nothing you can do, so you must ask yourself whether you're ok passing on this with the understanding that you may not find another one you want, or if you love this emerald enough to pay $58k. Or is it about $54k? 18x3=54.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
It looks extremely clean for an emerald and is beautifully cut. I wonder how possible it would be to get an eye clean one. I assume SSEF is one of those respected swiss labs?

AV_

Ideal_Rock

Isn't this the same stone? WWW

Only one emerald mentioned seems substantially better.

vik84

Rough_Rock
The stone is from this seller :lol:!
It's one of his best stones above 3ct. The weight is 3.21ct, so it'll come to $58K. SSEF is the Swiss lab that frequently certifies stones you'd see in Sotheby's/Christie's. Will get it further certified by AGL. Just worried if I'm over paying..

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The emerald is very beautiful, fabulous colour, cut and clarity. This makes it a rare item.
I think $58k is overpriced, but where is another one similiar but cheaper?
There probably isn’t, hence the asking price.
If you could be patient and search for longer you might get comparable at a a better price.
And don’t worry, Swiss Lab is extremely well regarded. You don’t need an AGL report on top in my opinion, unless you feel further certification is necessary.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were to spend that much on an Emerald, I would want one with more blue in the colour.
It is a nice clean stone, however I would sacrifice clarity for the right colour for me personally.

DK :))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice emerald. I too would want one with more blue undertone but thats more a matter of taste. Is it too expensive? Maybe. Have you seen another clean and unadulterated emerald of that size for cheaper? I can tell you I haven't.

You might be able to negotiate the price down a bit, but if the stone has a well regarded report that gives all the particulars....well... you may not get what you want in terms of wiggle room.

Emeralds are I think Type II stones. Maybe Type III I can't remember. Basically though these stones tend to have visible inclusions even when considered "clean". I really hate the terms of VVS VS blah blah blah for color stones because thats GIA terminology for diamonds! Lots of us do use it here (I'm guilty as charged!) and we shouldn't. Color stones really don't fit those diamond descriptors very well.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the emerald to be without any treatment, even traditional oil, seems rather remarkable and would add to the price premium. That is a very clean well-cut emerald and you say you like the color and the size ... assuming there is a reasonable return period and also, considering the value, that the vendor would provide a return label (presumably at your cost) if need be, are you in a position to purchase it so you can examine it loose in different lighting conditions?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s very clean for an untreated emerald, plus good colour and size. Maybe a bit pricey and a touch more blue preferred but pickings are very slim to tick all the boxes.

vik84

Rough_Rock
Nice emerald. I too would want one with more blue undertone but thats more a matter of taste. Is it too expensive? Maybe. Have you seen another clean and unadulterated emerald of that size for cheaper? I can tell you I haven't.

You might be able to negotiate the price down a bit, but if the stone has a well regarded report that gives all the particulars....well... you may not get what you want in terms of wiggle room.

Emeralds are I think Type II stones. Maybe Type III I can't remember. Basically though these stones tend to have visible inclusions even when considered "clean". I really hate the terms of VVS VS blah blah blah for color stones because thats GIA terminology for diamonds! Lots of us do use it here (I'm guilty as charged!) and we shouldn't. Color stones really don't fit those diamond descriptors very well.

It's been almost impossible to find a 3ct+ emerald with strong saturation and this kind of clarity. I've tried all the usual vendors mentioned in Pricescope like Lee Wasson, Embassy Emeralds etc. but the quality is usually lower. The only other place I've found such stones are auction houses like Sotheby's/Christies.

I've been relying on AGL prestige report grading for clarity, it's worked well with rubies and sapphires. I also actually like the strong green in the color without too much blue. I was told anyways that Chivor emeralds rather than Muzo stones tend to have more of that blue color.

My main concern is how much markup I'll end up paying over wholesale rates (or even fair market value) for a stone like this. Apparently there's not even a Gemguide section for Colombian emeralds..

voce

Ideal_Rock
It's been almost impossible to find a 3ct+ emerald with strong saturation and this kind of clarity. I've tried all the usual vendors mentioned in Pricescope like Lee Wasson, Embassy Emeralds etc. but the quality is usually lower. The only other place I've found such stones are auction houses like Sotheby's/Christies.

I've been relying on AGL prestige report grading for clarity, it's worked well with rubies and sapphires. I also actually like the strong green in the color without too much blue. I was told anyways that Chivor emeralds rather than Muzo stones tend to have more of that blue color.

My main concern is how much markup I'll end up paying over wholesale rates (or even fair market value) for a stone like this. Apparently there's not even a Gemguide section for Colombian emeralds..
Well, you did look in all the right places. This emerald checks all your boxes, so the question is whether it is worth $58k to you. Forget about markups--for an exceptionally rare gemstone such as this, it is ridiculous to expect a standard wholesale rate or a standard fair market value. There is only one of its kind available for sale, so it itself is the standard, because there are no other data points.

For exceptionally rare stones, it's going to be priced at whatever price the seller eventually sells it for. To buy or not buy, it's a question of how much the gemstone matters to YOU. Worth, unlike price, varies depending on the individual beholder of the gem and his/her preferences.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Dropping this here as I think it’s fabulously beautiful:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/618057551/888ct-columbian-emerald-ring888ct-clean

Now this is an example of a color that isn’t exactly trade ideal but I love it. The stone you like is not only untreated but much closer to trade ideal, which I believe is a deep pure green. I think the only way you can arrive at a decision is by comparing stones in the same price range.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dropping this here as I think it’s fabulously beautiful:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/618057551/888ct-columbian-emerald-ring888ct-clean

Now this is an example of a color that isn’t exactly trade ideal but I love it. The stone you like is not only untreated but much closer to trade ideal, which I believe is a deep pure green. I think the only way you can arrive at a decision is by comparing stones in the same price range.

Umm just so we're clear it may not be trade ideal but I'll totally accept it as a Christmas from you this year so go ahead and buy it for me :twisted2::mrgreen2::lol-2::P2

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What you pay will be dependent on what you're willing to part with. Seriously I wasn't being facetous when I said I've never seen one so clean because thats really very rare for the type of stone it is. Basically, you got a pretty rare unicorn on your hands but its always worth negotiating something off if you can.

Def. keep us in the loop on how it goes. And if you make it into something we wanna see:mrgreen2:

vik84

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much everyone for your feedback and advice ! I've decided to pass on the emerald, the dealer wasn't able to agree on terms like escrow, return etc. so the sale was too risky for me. Will stick to the list of vendors that everyone seems to have a good experience with.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone that you found is very rare in how "clean" it is. It looks like a nicely cut stone as well (not a guarantee in that large of a stone).

It is easier to find higher clarity emeralds in small sizes, but the 2+ carat size you are looking for, it WILL be prohibitively expensive, or the color will be significantly lighter than standard, to get to that clarity.
Is it just preference or some other reason you want such a clean stone?
If you are OK paying the price, get that stone.

Otherwise, I would suggest looking at the overall stone, in that it has an attractive color and cut and size, and the jardin is pleasing or acceptable to you.

http://www.embassyemeralds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=&products_id=615

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

I could look at these pictures/videos all day. Thanks for sharing and wish you luck on finding the perfect emerald!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much everyone for your feedback and advice ! I've decided to pass on the emerald, the dealer wasn't able to agree on terms like escrow, return etc. so the sale was too risky for me. Will stick to the list of vendors that everyone seems to have a good experience with.

Were they adverse to escrow? I can't imagine why not considering how much the stone is. And return period can also be a deal breaker, especially at that price. You have to do whats best for you. I can't blame you for backing out if you're not comfortable.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While the stone was beautiful, it didn't have the glowy look top emeralds seem to have. For 58k I would expect more.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
While the stone was beautiful, it didn't have the glowy look top emeralds seem to have. For 58k I would expect more.

Any examples please?

vik84

Rough_Rock
Were they adverse to escrow? I can't imagine why not considering how much the stone is. And return period can also be a deal breaker, especially at that price. You have to do whats best for you. I can't blame you for backing out if you're not comfortable.

Yeah, I suggested escrow.com or some similar service to handle the transaction but they just wanted a wire transfer to their account. Seemed too risky since there's no guarantee of a return if the stone didn't get appraised at that price.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results