shape
carat
color
clarity

Classic diamond/pearl studs —but which version?

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
82C8588F-4808-47FA-BDB8-23635AA43C66.jpeg D3C40114-5FE8-4480-A7CC-2B6C04D3FC37.jpeg

Diamond stud with pearl drop connected, or pearl stud with diamond connected? What is considered the more classic look? I have 20 ctw diamond studs (dh’s first pair that he bought for me!) that I’m looking to repurpose. They are special to me. They’ve been sitting in the jewelry box for about 12 years now. sad :(( I wore them for probably 8 years before a very special Christmas when he gave me my first pair of triple X studs.

This is one of the looks I’m considering.

So, two questions—which do you consider the more classic look? And if you were wanting to repurpose small mall-quality diamonds, which version would you choose? They are bright and sparkly.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I looked the look of pair #1 better, I have a pair like that made with Tahitian pearls and I have to admit that they pinch. To get the diamond part snug to the earlobe, the pearl pinches (you can see it with Meagan’s earring how loose it is on her ear). The other style avoids this.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Pair 1 doesn’t sit well so I prefer pair 2 and most of my pearl studs have that design where the stud is on the pearl instead of the diamond.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also prefer the look of #1 but agree they might not be the more comfortable pair. It may depend on the size of your earlobes, the smaller they are the more likely #1 will sit nicely.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the look of 1 too.

Have you thought about diamond studs with a detachable pearl drop, 2 looks for the price of one?

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

Have you thought about diamond studs with a detachable pearl drop, 2 looks for the price of one?

+1 for this idea.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of a detachable drop too. You probably wouldn’t even need to reset the studs either. I bought a pair of pearl drops that are the reverse look- they hook on the back of the stud and come under the lobe, because I wanted something different. I was able to use studs as is for those.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Love the look of #1, but would echo the concerns above about trying to get the diamond close enough to your lobe that the pearl would not pinch.

Paigeag800

Rough_Rock
I like the idea of a detachable drop too. You probably wouldn’t even need to reset the studs either. I bought a pair of pearl drops that are the reverse look- they hook on the back of the stud and come under the lobe, because I wanted something different. I was able to use studs as is for those.

These sound amazing, can you share where you got them?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pearl and diamond earrings have the pearl as the stud. But it makes no difference because you can wear them upside down. The diamond in mine is really small so if I wear it diamond side down it accentuates the pearl. If I wear them diamond on top it makes the diamond look small. I have large earlobes so nothing hangs over the lobe either way.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have the Tiffany pair and I love them. They are largish--big pearls and diamonds. I like the idea posted above to have the diamond detach--much more flexible.

cheers--Sharon

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@Paigeag800
They are really basic- they aren't great pearls, but I liked the style and wanted to get a trial pair before I bought more expensive pair to see if I'd wear them. The vendor was crashandducess on Etsy and they were really inexpensive. I think they'd be really pretty made by someone in gold with some much nicer pearls! It would be an easy style to copy- you can wear it behind the year or in front. I usually wear them with some small champagne diamond studs instead of the top pearl.

Here they are:
il_570xN.924596691_pvy7.jpg il_570xN.924596985_duj4.jpg

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Love the look of 1. Could you make it a drop earring to avoid the pinching?

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

@Austina — I’m still brainstorming this project...

I’m wondering what this would look like? To remain simple and classic. I have 0.05 teensy diamonds and 7.5-8.0 Freshadamas (thanks, @yssie !).

I’m thinking of having this done locally— having the diamonds bezel set as studs with miliigrain... then adding the pearl drops (then the tourmaline drops and opal drops and amethyst drops....). :) It will be a fun, relatively inexpensive way to enjoy some color when I don’t wear my 1.0 ctw studs.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I was trying to find the classic diamond-top pearl stud when I saw these on eBay (a thousand years ago) and bought them with the intention to take the hook off and wear them as studs. Once I got them though, I didn’t have the heart to change them. I’ve worn them four days a week or more for about eleven years now. I’m thinking of having them copied with larger diamonds someday. In the meantime, they go with everything and are incredibly comfortable.

If you’re worried about the pearl pinching on your ears, you could have them made where the post comes out from a solid piece as these would if I’d changed them as I’d planned. I hope that makes sense?
DA309389-4975-48A4-80AC-CF0D8FC7E630.jpeg E9C55DEC-3775-49B7-9644-F1F9612ECFF5.jpeg

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
I was trying to find the classic diamond-top pearl stud when I saw these on eBay (a thousand years ago) and bought them with the intention to take the hook off and wear them as studs. Once I got them though, I didn’t have the heart to change them. I’ve worn them four days a week or more for about eleven years now. I’m thinking of having them copied with larger diamonds someday. In the meantime, they go with everything and are incredibly comfortable.

DA309389-4975-48A4-80AC-CF0D8FC7E630.jpeg E9C55DEC-3775-49B7-9644-F1F9612ECFF5.jpeg

I have the same earrings in white gold and I adore them. I too thought I would want the classic stud with the diamond as all of my earrings are studs almost without exclusion. I will say these have become absolute favorites as they go with everything, are super comfortable, and are classics in their own right.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have debated the same thing, and I am too afraid the design of #1 would not work on my ear lobes. So I'd likely go with #2 or the leverbacks. I like the ones at Amercian Pearl because you can make choices on the metal, size and type of pearls on many of their earrings. You might want to call them and ask if they could use your diamonds to make a pair. It may not really save much or any money doing so, though.

https://www.americanpearl.com/sube-japaneseakoya.html#

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
3720F097-6E08-4E86-822F-75E92484B298.jpeg

These ideas and links are so helpful. Here is what I’m working with. The studs are from when I was 21 or 22 and DH and I were dating—years before we got engaged! So they are very special to me, but I have not worn them (or even looked at them!) since DH gave me my first pair of ex/ex/ex studs for our first married Christmas.

The pearls are 7.5-8.0 freshadamas.

I am now leaning toward the lever backs that hug very very close to the lobe. Stuller’s seem to drop about an inch.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a pic of the lever back mounts? The proportions are really perfect and will make gorgeous earrings! Wow!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The studs are from when I was 21 or 22 and DH and I were dating—years before we got engaged! So they are very special to me, but I have not worn them (or even looked at them!) since DH gave me my first pair of ex/ex/ex studs for our first married Christmas.

The pearls are 7.5-8.0 freshadamas.

I am now leaning toward the lever backs that hug very very close to the lobe.

Love that they are so meaningful for you and that would be my vote to have dangles that hug close to the lobe. Easy to wear and the look is elegant and classic IMO. I would have them articulate between the diamond and the pearl if you like movement vs fixed. I love earrings with a little bit of movement.

It's going to be gorgeous either way.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love that they are so meaningful for you and that would be my vote to have dangles that hug close to the lobe. Easy to wear and the look is elegant and classic IMO. I would have them articulate between the diamond and the pearl if you like movement vs fixed. I love earrings with a little bit of movement.

It's going to be gorgeous either way.

@missy - help me understand how the movement would work in a leverback? I plan to ask the local jeweler for a quote soon. I assume they can shorten the stock setting pretty easily. ?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy - help me understand how the movement would work in a leverback? I plan to ask the local jeweler for a quote soon. I assume they can shorten the stock setting pretty easily. ?

French wires might be even better. Easy to shorten and add a link for articulation if you would like. I also prefer them for safety reasons as lever backs can fail more easily I think. I add a rubber thingy to my french wires and voila safe and secure.

Can you see the rubber backing I have on these dangles? Comfy and secure.

graceearringscloseup.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
7BBB6D89-1D73-440A-9181-CFBC21D9D6A5.jpeg

Pictured is 7.5mm pearl and .05 diamond—my dimensions! I dropped off the pearls and studs at the local jeweler today to start the process. He will call by Thursday with a quote. I would want the wire shortened to just under the lobe, and he said that would be no problem. I got to talk directly to the bench jeweler today, and I was very happy about that! I also told him I need this project to be budget-friendly, since I have others waiting in the wings! This little project cut to the front of the line. :whistle:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
95F23B63-B4C9-4CF5-B362-7B9B369FEAC6.jpeg F58E990A-0BF4-43BE-9B36-B588C4A03F4A.jpeg

I picked them up today! They are great—I’m so happy I went with this version. Leverback Stuller parts that my jeweler soldered together. They have just the right amount of swing and dangle to them. He said he could shorten them further, but I think this is a great length! I went with white gold.

THANK YOU, PSers! Your generosity in time and spirit is greatly appreciated. I love it when you help me spend my money for me. :lol:

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Those are so PRETTY and ELEGANT!!! :appl:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Wow they are absolutely perfect and amazing! Congratulations!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results