shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing between ACA Diamonds

explosions09

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Can someone help me choose between two ACA diamonds? I've decided on buying from Whiteflash (mostly due to peace of mind) but can't figure out why the prices of a higher carate ACA is cheaper.

1.668ct priced at $12.8k: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3905121.htm

vs

1.503ct priced at $13.5k: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4123874.htm

Is it because the 1.668ct may not be eye clean? The posting says to "inquire", but I thought all ACA diamonds had to be eye clean.

Thanks all!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGS graded the second, more expensive, one 19 months after the first.
Perhaps WH acquired it 19 months latter and prices for stones with those specs had increased.

Perhaps their cutter had raised her/his prices.

Grades are ranges with arbitrary upper and lower limits chosen by humans.
A certain seller told me they further break down Fancy Colored Diamonds in each GIA hue grade into 10 sub grades.
Within the same grade FCDs price increases the closer an FCD gets to the next higher grade, and vice versa.

The earth gives us a continuous graduation of color and clarity, not discrete steps in which every diamond in each grade is identical.

Perhaps that's a factor when pricing white diamonds too.

Just guessing.

Better yet, call/email WF and ask them.

Last edited:

explosions09

Rough_Rock
AGS graded the second, more expensive, one 19 months after the first.
Perhaps WH acquired it 19 months latter and prices for stones with those specs had increased.

Perhaps their cutter had raised her/his prices.

Grades are ranges with arbitrary upper and lower limits chosen by humans.
A certain seller told me they further break down Fancy Colored Diamonds in each GIA hue grade into 10 sub grades.
Within the same grade FCDs price increases the closer an FCD gets to the next higher grade, and vice versa.

The earth gives us a continuous graduation of color and clarity, not discrete steps in which every diamond in each grade is identical.

Perhaps that's a factor when pricing white diamonds too.

Just guessing.

Better yet, call/email WF and ask them.

Thanks for the feedback! I just wasn’t sure if I was missing some glaring flaw the cheaper diamond has. Will email WF and ask.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would email or call WF and ask about the price difference, and specifically if the inclusions in the 1.6 are more visible than the 1.5. If it's eye-clean, I'd go with the bigger one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results