shape
carat
color
clarity

Choose Between Two Stones For Diamond Pendant

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

As mentioned in a previous post, I would like to have a solitaire diamond pendant made, with a halo around it.

I have been in touch with David Klass and Whiteflash, and am thinking about selecting one of these two stones:

1. 1.62 carat, I, SI1 round brilliant diamond, HCA < 2, 10K

2. 1.90 carat, I, VS2 premium select diamond from Whiteflash, 16K

The first stone is much more aligned to my budget, but the second one also looks like a beauty!

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!

snip.PNG

snip2.PNG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand you are trying to decide what is best, but it seems you are comparing apples and oranges.

The WF stone has better clarity, is larger and is better cut. Plus it has advanced images and is pretty much a guaranteed performer with superior upgrade program. All factors combined, it's no surprise the cost difference.

I am not loving the proportions of the other stone. IMO, the 34/41 is a slippery slope because of GIA's rounding & averaging of proportion values. Also, not loving the larger 59 table with the shallow 60.8 depth.

The HCA calculator agrees with my assessment. Yes, the score hits below 2, which is what we typically recommend, but you can see the fire & scintillation are only rated as "very good" instead of "excellent", which is preferred.

Personally I wouldn't recommend the 1.62, but I do think you have some other options that may be a little more budget friendly than the 1.90.

Cut Advisor Score 1.7
FactorGrade
Light Return:Excellent
Fire:Very Good
Scintillation:Very Good
Spread:Very Good
HCA Score :1.7 - Excellent - within TIC range
Looks Like size Beta
lls-big.png

For more info
Should sparkle beautifully and look a good size for its carat weight. Confirm with an Ideal-scope, ASET scope or send to an appraiser.
Diamond Stats
Carat:1.62
Depth:60.8
Table:59
Crown:34

Pavillion:41
Symmetry:Excellent
Measurements:7.55x7.59x4.61
GIA/AGS report # :

Edited to Add:
Had misread the HCA originally and slightly modified my initial response, so it wasn't confusing.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Below is a 1.61 expert select from WF that seems to fit your budget and size requirements a little better. It's priced at $11k wire. This allows you to get your foot in the door with a killer stone, and upgrade later when/if funds allow.

Images and video look great!

For a little less than $12k wire price, you can jump into a WF ACA 1.613 I VS2.

I can keep suggesting alternates, but really I think it's important to know where you stand on size and dollars. Just my 2 cents, I don't think you should ever spend more than is comfortable. IMO, jumping 50% from $10k to $15k seems like a lot.

Let us know your thoughts.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sledge;

What a fantastic set of useful suggestions and alternatives! I couldn't begin to do a better job or even come close to what you so easily expressed without making the process overly complex or painful.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
I understand you are trying to decide what is best, but it seems you are comparing apples and oranges.

The WF stone has better clarity, is larger and is better cut. Plus it has advanced images and is pretty much a guaranteed performer with superior upgrade program. All factors combined, it's no surprise the cost difference.

I am not loving the proportions of the other stone. IMO, the 34/41 is a slippery slope because of GIA's rounding & averaging of proportion values. Also, not loving the larger 59 table with the shallow 60.8 depth.

The HCA calculator agrees with my assessment. Yes, the score hits below 2, which is what we typically recommend, but you can see the fire & scintillation are only rated as "very good" instead of "excellent", which is preferred.

Personally I wouldn't recommend the 1.62, but I do think you have some other options that may be a little more budget friendly than the 1.90.

Cut Advisor Score 1.7
FactorGrade
Light Return:Excellent
Fire:Very Good
Scintillation:Very Good
Spread:Very Good
HCA Score :1.7 - Excellent - within TIC range
Looks Like size Beta
lls-big.png

For more info
Should sparkle beautifully and look a good size for its carat weight. Confirm with an Ideal-scope, ASET scope or send to an appraiser.
Diamond Stats
Carat:1.62
Depth:60.8
Table:59
Crown:34

Pavillion:41
Symmetry:Excellent
Measurements:7.55x7.59x4.61
GIA/AGS report # :

Edited to Add:
Had misread the HCA originally and slightly modified my initial response, so it wasn't confusing.

Thank you, sledge!!!

Honestly, besides looking at the specs, it's really hard for me to distinguish between a good vs very good vs excellent diamond, so thank you.

Can you suggest some alternatives? I would like to get the best "bang for the buck". My initial budget was originally 10K, but like all these budgets, they seem to always get stretched! I would prefer to stay in the 10-12K range, but can do up to 15K if the stone is phenomenal. I don't want to regret getting something I don't like to save a few thousand dollars. I would be willing to sacrifice a bit in colour and clarity to get a nice big stone. Guessing that putting the halo around it will make it look bigger anyways?

If you could send some more alternatives, that would be great. Thank you very much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results