shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier trinity ring......?

diamondgirl5k

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone. I was wondering....for those of you who have the Cartier trinity ring, was it worth the price? It is on my wish list and I've saved almost enough to buy it, but am worried I will be disappointed because its so expensive...

Can you please please please share your thoughts on this?

Thanks so much!!!!

Smith1940

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,

I hear your dilemma. I have quite a bit of jewellery (by my standards anyway) and I have gone round and round on luxury brand-name products as against no-name brands. Afer all, they often look just as good and cost a fraction of the amount.

My advice to you is, if you want this Cartier band enough then you will enjoy every moment of wearing it for the rest of your life. You will, of course, get to try it on before buying. Don't let them rush you, and try to hold your hand near a window. You could also try it on, leave it for a few days and see how you feel about it, then go back if you can't stop thinking about it.

But about the expense and the brand name...I have some truly gorgeous jewellery that is no-name. However, I acquired some Tiffany DBTY pieces and a DeBeers necklace. Yes, they were very expensive. But I absolutely love wearing them, and the luxury brand makes me feel very special when I do wear them. When I'm wearing something so expensive and luxurious - and with the DeBeers, I'm pretty much guaranteed that no one else around me is wearing a DeBeers necklace - I feel it gives a lift to the day. For me, those special pieces are a real stress-buster. Yes, life might be tough and stressful and perplexing, but when you look in the mirror, or down at your hand, and see that little piece of luxury glinting at you...I swear there are medical benefits in that the pleasure makes my heart rate slow down!!!

Bottom line: If you really, really want this ring, you will not regret it. Cartier is very special, in my opinion. But if you only kind-of want it, but feel you could love a no-name rolling ring as much, all you'll be able to think about is the money it cost.

My DeBeers necklace is tiny. It's only got three diamonds totalling 0.22 ctw, and it cost $1,150. But I still can't believe I've got a DeBeers necklace, and I'll wear it for the rest of my life.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only buy a Trinity ring if it was Cartier. So yes, I think it is worth it. However, many of us, including me, often buy designer brands second hand in almost new condition and save a lot of money. So I would suggest that as an option, too. I'd like to have the ring and matching earrings, but the earrings I would absolutely buy second hand because earrings rarely have much wear showing on them and they are more expensive than the rings are.

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
I don't have one either but I would love to and I would only want the real thing. Yes, you are also paying more for the name, but along the way that has become part of the appeal that has made it so imitated. I do think that trying it on is a good idea too, if poss. And maybe think of cost per wear? Is it going to be an everyday piece for you or just something for once in awhile? That might factor into whether I wanted to spend all that money or not.

Smith1940

Shiny_Rock
Excellent advice re. cost-per-wear. If you will wear it a LOT, and for the rest of your life, and you love it and want it, and you have the money, then I would do it.

I got my Tiffany platinum DBTY bracelet preowned, at a reputable Boston store that often has preowned Tiffany. I saved $455 off the retail price. So yes, this is good advice too.

However, with the rolling ring design (Trinity design, I mean) I'm not so sure about secondhand because might the rings be scratched? The design is that the rings rub and roll against each other, so I'm thinking there might be wear. Unless you can find one where someone's barely worn it, of course. There are quite a few Cartier Trinity rings on ebay, I believe. Of course, that route is fraught with pitfalls, but can work out well. I once got a genuine silver Tiffany bracelet from ebay for a mere 30 pounds, when the retail price was about 180.00.

Just curious: which Trinity are you after? There are quite a few different ones.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Second hand I would buy one and actually have one saved on my Ebay Watchlist even now. New? Not worth it for me, personally, unless it was something I'd wear everyday or nearly that often.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that it might be harder to find the ring second hand. I would probably really baby a new one to keep them from getting all scratched up! I did try them on a couple of years ago at Cartier in NYC and still regret not buying one then for a trip souvenir. I think my hesitation is that some were too wide for me and the new thin ones are too thin! I can't figure out what their measurements mean on their site. They have the classic that says 4mm and the small at 2.9mm, but I am not sure if that is the width of one band or the width of the three rings worn together. The small ones look really thin to me on people's hands.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1334072695|3167486 said:
I would only buy a Trinity ring if it was Cartier. So yes, I think it is worth it.
This is kind of how I feel. It's something I think only they can do right. I saw one that I think Neil Lane made (similar to brooke shields) that I would like I think, but I think the real thing looks the best.

I bought a rolling ring in Stainless from QVC to see how I liked it for comfort and as a bangaround ring, but since Cartier, to my knowledge, doesn't make a platinum version, I will probably never get to own the real thing.

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
I own one so I can tell you for a fact that I like it even more every day. I would not have liked it as much if it wasn't Cartier I think as it is so classic. I absolutely love it as a right hand ring and would have regretted buying a copycat. Since I never want to take it off I think the cost per wear is so low with this one that I feel better buying the cartier version. There are so many sellers on ebay selling the cartier trinity rings for at least 30% less than what you would pay retail so that is not a bad option to consider.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
I have had a trinity ring for almost 5 years (in a month it will be exactly five years) and love it more everyday :love: I have a lot of rings (and many of them from high end jewellers...) but if I had to keep only one ring besides my wedding set it would be my trinity!

If you want that ring don't settle for a copy, get the real thing! You won't regret it, it's a timeless design.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1334074332|3167515 said:
I agree that it might be harder to find the ring second hand. I would probably really baby a new one to keep them from getting all scratched up! I did try them on a couple of years ago at Cartier in NYC and still regret not buying one then for a trip souvenir. I think my hesitation is that some were too wide for me and the new thin ones are too thin! I can't figure out what their measurements mean on their site. They have the classic that says 4mm and the small at 2.9mm, but I am not sure if that is the width of one band or the width of the three rings worn together. The small ones look really thin to me on people's hands.

I think it's the width of one band, not the width of them together.

I have the ultra small one- it's small alright! I think it's really a piece that you have to try on and see how it looks on your finger. I agree with DS that some seem to be too thin, while others are too wide. I have small hands and mine feels good on my hand, but b/c the individual bands are so thin, the individual colors seem to blend together too much, thus "ruining" the whole point of getting a tri-color ring. I think the wider ones are much better at differentiating the colors, but my hands are also short and the wider rings just don't look right on my hand.

Having said all that, I do think the ring holds up very well, considering all the rolling action.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I've been looking at the Cartier Trinity ring myself. If you have a Cartier store nearby, perhaps give them a call and see if they can re-plate or repolish the ring for you for a fee if you buy it second-hand. I know Chopard mentioned to me that they will polish a piece for you for a fee as long as the piece is authentic. I don't think I'll consider paying retail for it though.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
New York Estates jewelers has sevearl of them right now on their website. I would check them out if you want to buy second hand.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Logan Sapphire|1334082227|3167637 said:
diamondseeker2006|1334074332|3167515 said:

I think it's the width of one band, not the width of them together.

I have the ultra small one- it's small alright! I think it's really a piece that you have to try on and see how it looks on your finger. I agree with DS that some seem to be too thin, while others are too wide. I have small hands and mine feels good on my hand, but b/c the individual bands are so thin, the individual colors seem to blend together too much, thus "ruining" the whole point of getting a tri-color ring. I think the wider ones are much better at differentiating the colors, but my hands are also short and the wider rings just don't look right on my hand.

Having said all that, I do think the ring holds up very well, considering all the rolling action.

Logan...so do you think yours are each 2.9mm? That is the smallest one I see listed and was not there when I went to NYC summer 2009.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I tried on the Trinity at Cartier in Vegas, loved it. However, looking at the Blue Nile ones, I'd be happy with one of those too...there is something special about owning a luxury brand though.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
DS- no, I think mine are 1.5mm each. I don't see that super small size offered anymore...maybe people thought it was too thin and they stopped making them?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Logan Sapphire|1334088106|3167716 said:
DS- no, I think mine are 1.5mm each. I don't see that super small size offered anymore...maybe people thought it was too thin and they stopped making them?

Okay, if the "small" one with 2.9 is per band, then maybe that is the size I'd want. I guess I could call and ask. Thanks!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

With or without diamonds?

cheers--Sharon

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
The Trinity without diamonds comes in 4 different widths:

XS: 1.5 mm per band
Small: 2.9 mm per band
Classic: 4 mm per band
XL: 5.4 mm per band (it's the one that I have, I love large rings)

Hope this helps but to make your choice you really have to try them all since the look of the 3 bands on your finger will be prettty different from another ring that would be the same width.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting those, Frenchcut! I wish I had long fingers below the knuckle to be able to wear the wider ones but I think the 2.9 will be the right size for me.

diamondgirl5k

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your responses!!! I tried the ring on a couple of years ago but will be going back in hopefully this weekend to make my final decision. Sharon, I was looking at the classic trinit without diamonds. Thanks again ladies, I'll keep you posted with my decision!

lonixo

Rough_Rock
anyone have updated pricing on the trinitys?

CrisM

Shiny_Rock
I'd love to see some handshots of the different sizes with ring size for reference. Especially curious about the 4mm.

Any volunteers? :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lonixo|1334118760|3168201 said:
anyone have updated pricing on the trinitys?

Check the Cartier site. They post prices and many items can be ordered online.

As of today, the 2.9mm one is $1000 and the 4mm one is $1350.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
CrisM|1334151458|3168352 said:
I'd love to see some handshots of the different sizes with ring size for reference. Especially curious about the 4mm.

Any volunteers? :appl:

Here is mine, which is the extra-small one at 1.5mm each. Ring size 3.75.

Attachments

• Trinity handshot solo.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 30,699
  • Trinity handshot with erinhg.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 28,201
  • Trinity with wedding ring.bmp
    630.1 KB · Views: 28,359

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be so wonderful if pictures of each size could be posted. It would help a lot for people to see handshots to decide which size they want.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Below is my Trinity XL, on a size 6 finger. The picture is not great as it was taken for insurance purpose...but that's about the best I have ! And yes, I love Xtra large rings :D

By the way, it had been worn for more than 4 years when the picture was taken and had never been polished. As long as you're careful when putting it on / taking it off it doesn't scratch more than any other ring.

Cartier Trinity.jpg

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I got a preloved Cartier trinity ring, and I absolutely adore it. I'm fully confident that if I had paid full price for it, I would not regret the purchase even one tiny bit.

Mine is the Classic (4mm) in French size 50, which is just a smidge over US size 5. I wear it on my middle finger.

file.jpg

diamondgirl5k

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, I have an update...........!!

I got the large trinity ring!!

I went to the store today to look at the ring in person, and when I tried it on (the classic), it just looked a bit small on my finger.. probably because I have chubby fingers.. so I decided to go with the large one, and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!

I also got the tiny trinity bracelet with the black silk bracelet..

pics to come! thanks everyone for your responses..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results