shape
carat
color
clarity

Can't decide between pave cathedral settings

woprxcpe1704

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I'm having trouble deciding between two pave cathedral settings from WF.
Cathedral 3/4 French set:
Cathedral-French-Set-Eternity-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-in-White-Gold_gi_3423_2-54519.jpg

Petite Open Cathedral:
Petite-Cathedral-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-in-White-Gold_gi_3433_2-37097.jpg

I was originally drawn to the three quarter eternity, but it looks like the gap at the top might be a bit too large and awkward. So, now I'm leaning more towards the open cathedral setting. I've selected a 1.244 ct G VS2 ideal round diamond to go with these settings in a size 8.75. I'm looking for any advice or thoughts on both. I've provided the links to both settings below.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...set-eternity-diamond-engagement-ring-3590.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...en-cathedral-diamond-engagement-ring-1539.htm

BMI

Shiny_Rock
I like the 6 prong 3/4 eternity setting more. And when I looked at the 'recently purchased' photos on the setting page the gap was not very noticeable to me with stones the same size as yours. I should add though, that my opinion is biased because I am not really a fan of round stones in four prong settings.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think #2 looks like it’s a planned, cohesive ring, versus option #1 where, to me, it looks like they just plopped a standard 6-prong mounting on top (which is, essentially, what they did).
Option #2 looks custom, while #1 looks like a semi-mount they accommodated to fit a stone.
I have had round stones in 4 prongs over the years and I do think that type of mounting lends itself better in the 4-prong look.
With that said, now having my new stone I love how round it looks in a 6-prong but I have a solitaire, no other diamonds.
I don’t personally think you need the 3/4... you gain that extra Pavé up at the top, in the cathedral arms, where it will be seen. It’s not going to be seen really when it’s that far down your finger. Also, some people find it uncomfortable when their finger touches the adjacent ones.
Are there any other versions of that look that you can choose from?
Another thing I’m thinking is that the option #1 mounting that holds the stone will overtake your diamond.
I just think #2 is a finer piece, looks more custom, will show off your stone better, prongs are prettier, you’ll see more Pavé, it has a matching band (the other does not and I don’t know how well it will fit with one that isn’t custom), the fact that it has a perfectly matched and fitted band makes it look that much more custom and a beautiful cohesive look.
The only downside, if you want to call it that, is that it is a 4-prong, not that there is anything wrong with it, but if you had your heart set on 6 then that’s something you have to decide in which case I would suggest you find another option in that pave style.
But I feel that the option 2 has so many other things going for it, it clearly outweighs option 1.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second setting would be my choice. I agree with @headlight. I really dislike cathedrals that are left just hanging in the air. They really need to
connect to the head at a bar (or at something depending on the head). Just my opinion...pick the one you think your GF will like the best.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also prefer the cathedral. It looks more fluid and purposeful.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
My vote is for the second setting the cathedral. The first one looks like a peg head to me. It looks inexpensive—although it’s not!

bibiloves

Shiny_Rock
I like the petite open cathedral more. I don't like the gap in the first setting.

Mix13

Rough_Rock
Did you decide between the two settings?
I actually love the daintiness and elegance of the 3/4 french cathedral and am also considering it.
I'm a bit worried about the total height of the setting. WF has said it's 7.5mm from the finger to the diamond table facet :think:
Not sure if that will be too prominent. Any advice would be welcome =)2

Thanks!

M

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mix13 -

I far prefer option 1. I think it looks elegant. Option 2's profile is heavy and generic. I like the swooped cutouts on option one, and the way the shank rises up to the underside of the basket, making it look as tho the band is integrated with the head.

My only reservation is that option 1 is only 1.5mm thick, and I like my rings thicker than that. Since they're made for your stone, I wonder if you could tweak that? Altho - depending on what thickness your wedding band is, 1.5mm might be perfect.

Last edited:

Mix13

Rough_Rock
Thank you! That was very helpful =)2
I really like the thin band, and I think I also prefer the six prong setting on a lone solitaire. I think I'm almost ready to say yes... again just concerned it's going to protrude a bit too much

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
This may be an odd question, but in the first setting pictured with the little gaps on top, would things like hair be more likely to get caught in them? Or are the gaps so small it's not an issue?

Mix13

Rough_Rock
Good question, I think I’ll check that one with WF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results