shape
carat
color
clarity

Canada goose parka

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just purged my ski coat closet- sold like $500 worth of old coats. I really want to keep it simple from now on- a ski jacket or two and a really warm parka since it gets soooo cold here. I have a NF thermoball, patagonia better sweater, etc for those in-between temps.

So...for those of you who have a canada goose parka, which one do you have and do you think it's worth the money?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH has been wearing Canada goose for past couple of winters and is happy with it but he also wears a heated vest under it. You may want to look at those vests because they are very convenient in freezing weather and battery lasts for a while.

I tried a bunch of their women's coats but didn't buy because they were all very heavy. Felt like a sandbag on my shoulders. I'm sticking with my long shearling coat. It's windproof, very warm and weighs less than CG.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My son has had one for years and years and my family wears their hats. Well made, last forever. Great warranty.

cheers--Sharon

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
I’d try to buy one without the coyote fur collar - their practices aren’t humane and the fur is just decorative (I wouldn’t be ok with it either way, but only decorative is particularly galling), or go with a north face or other brand that doesn’t use real fur. I totally get the attraction and live where it’s freezing but won’t buy anything from them because of the coyote fur.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, they have a pretty bad reputation for the coyote fur. Personally, I don't find them worth the money, but this is a diamond website, so you should probably take that with a grain of salt ;-)

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear a goose down coat but not a Canada Goose brand. We are very cold here (we regularly hit -40 at night mid-winter), and goose down is the both warmest material for coats and the lightest, especially compared to wool. You still have to layer things under it to stay warm though.

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
DH has been wearing Canada goose for past couple of winters and is happy with it but he also wears a heated vest under it. You may want to look at those vests because they are very convenient in freezing weather and battery lasts for a while.

I tried a bunch of their women's coats but didn't buy because they were all very heavy. Felt like a sandbag on my shoulders. I'm sticking with my long shearling coat. It's windproof, very warm and weighs less than CG.

Where might one find a heated vest? We get -40 degree F temps/ wind-chills here and I am a complete wimp about the cold, so the idea of a heated vest sounds very appealing.

I wear a goose down coat but not a Canada Goose brand. We are very cold here (we regularly hit -40 at night mid-winter), and goose down is the both warmest material for coats and the lightest, especially compared to wool. You still have to layer things under it to stay warm though.

This. When I first went around looking to get myself a Canada Goose coat, the sales rep at one of the stores tried to talk me out of it and was saying that adding different layers under my current down coat would be more than sufficient for a lesser price. Fleece layers like https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/womens-glacier-1-4-zip-nf0a2red#hero=0 were better than cotton layers and adding a down vest like https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/womens-aconcagua-vest-ii-nf0a3jrn?variationId=3YM#hero=0 or https://www.patagonia.com/product/womens-down-sweater-vest/84628.html to keep the core warm would do more than having a different down coat. After adjusting how I was layering under my current down coat, I did notice a difference in overall warmth when outside.

That said, I did also end up purchasing a coat that is supposed to be equivalent to a Canada Goose level 4 (waiting until Jan to buy a winter coat meant lack of sizes, etc so I couldn't get a hold of the Canada Goose I wanted). Like baby monster said, these coats do feel heavier as compared to other down coats of a similar length, but the one I have is also warmer than my other down coats. I've had this coat less than a year, so only time will tell how it holds up, but for me (complete wimp that I am in the winter weather) it was worth the extra money vs North Face, etc.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The caveat is that all goose down is not created equal. Some types of down is warmer and lighter (and more expensive) than other types. Some coats use more than others. It’s like how sleeping bags are rated to different temperature levels. My take on the Canada Goose parkas is that they use a lot of down (perhaps a down/feather mix given how heavy they are). They also use a lot of other materials that also contribute to weight. I have always felt that they were too heavy for my purposes (I basically run from house to car to office and back), but if I was working outside, or walking dogs outside, I’d probably want one.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I went to Nordstrom yesterday and tried them all on. I loved both the rossclair and the Lorette. They quality was incredible. I am allergic to dogs and noticed that when I left and got into my car, I had to use my inhaler:( Bummer, because the fur was awesome. It is detachable, but I love the look with the fur.

I went to North Face too and tried on the outer boroughs parka. It was awful. Bulky, non-flattering, just ugly. They did not an arctic parka to try on because "it's been around forever." Well, duh, that's because people like it. :???: They wanted to push the new styles and I didn't like any of them.

So I think I'm going to order the NF arctic parka from Zappos. If I don't like it, I'll return it and get the Canada Goose. Pic of the rossclair and the Lorette. The Lorette is the dressier one.

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 6.01.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 6.02.50 PM.png

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Baxter State down parka from LL Bean. I save it for when it's really cold here in CT, as otherwise it makes me sweat!
I unzipped the faux fur from the hood as I found it restricted my peripheral vision.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My coat is like the Lorette, only in black with a faux fur collar. I love it. It's both light and warm, and the collar comes in handy when it's windy and I want protection for my face and ears (it flips up and acts like a combo scarf and ear muff set).

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

CG is a great choice, but have also found great (down) at MEC. But you would have to order online without trying, and well, with down that can be a bit of a stretch.
https://www.mec.ca/en/

Montcler?

cheers--Sharon

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
Gerbing is the brand DH wears. Amazon carries a limited selection but this website has a lot of their clothes.
https://www.thewarmingstore.com/gerbing-7v.html

Thank you! I'll have to check these out.

@soxfan could you please report back with your thoughts about the Arctic Parka? My original down coats are getting to a point where they should probably be replaced and I usually save my really heavy coat (Canada Goose-esque, but I can't remember the brand offhand) for when I take the dog out. I love the coat, but it can get a bit too warm in the car on the way to work if I end up stuck in traffic.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I'll have to check these out.

@soxfan could you please report back with your thoughts about the Arctic Parka? My original down coats are getting to a point where they should probably be replaced and I usually save my really heavy coat (Canada Goose-esque, but I can't remember the brand offhand) for when I take the dog out. I love the coat, but it can get a bit too warm in the car on the way to work if I end up stuck in traffic.

Ok, I got the arctic parka. It was a flattering fit, but the arms were too loose. So the arm area had no shape if that makes sense? The neck part was very scratch when zipped up. I thought the faux fur was pretty nice. EXTREMELY warm. You will sweat to death in a car in this.

In the end I decided to get the Canada Goose rossclair parka. I tried them all on in Nordstrom, and this is the style I love. NOW I can't decide on a color!!! I'm torn between bright red, black, military green and spruce.

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I got the arctic parka. It was a flattering fit, but the arms were too loose. So the arm area had no shape if that makes sense? The neck part was very scratch when zipped up. I thought the faux fur was pretty nice. EXTREMELY warm. You will sweat to death in a car in this.

In the end I decided to get the Canada Goose rossclair parka. I tried them all on in Nordstrom, and this is the style I love. NOW I can't decide on a color!!! I'm torn between bright red, black, military green and spruce.

Thanks for the review of tNF Arctic Parka!

If it were me, I'd do the bright red or the spruce for the CG Rossclair. Yes, black is classic and will go with everything, but I figure winter is monochrome enough with everything covered in snow that it is nice to have a pop of color somewhere. Only downside to the colorful outerwear is that there are days when my purse and coat are not exactly color-coordinated (or I switch coats or bags last second to avoid a major clash).

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if the mass appeal and thus mass production has affected quality. I now see so many of these parkas worn in temps in the low 50s, 40s and high 30s temps. All zipped up! If the parkas are made to keep wearers warm in subzero and extreme cold weather one would think that walking around the city in the higher temps would make one too hot. I have no empirical data to compare it is just my observation. Has increased production resulted in a change of formula -so to speak- to cater to the consumer rather than the Arctic explorer? For example, I remember back in the 1960s and 1970s only really high end residential kitchens had commercial SubZero refrigerators. People complained that the condenser noise was too loud but justified the purchase as the things were really well built. SubZero designed fridges for residential customers to meet the demand. Fast forward, to the present and SubZeros are de rigor in high end kitchens. But people now complain of the frequent service calls and the repairmen opine that they are not as good as the old ones. Just saying....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if the mass appeal and thus mass production has affected quality. I now see so many of these parkas worn in temps in the low 50s, 40s and high 30s temps. All zipped up! If the parkas are made to keep wearers warm in subzero and extreme cold weather one would think that walking around the city in the higher temps would make one too hot. I have no empirical data to compare it is just my observation. Has increased production resulted in a change of formula -so to speak- to cater to the consumer rather than the Arctic explorer? For example, I remember back in the 1960s and 1970s only really high end residential kitchens had commercial SubZero refrigerators. People complained that the condenser noise was too loud but justified the purchase as the things were really well built. SubZero designed fridges for residential customers to meet the demand. Fast forward, to the present and SubZeros are de rigor in high end kitchens. But people now complain of the frequent service calls and the repairmen opine that they are not as good as the old ones. Just saying....

There are a number of fake Canada Goose coats out there. When anything becomes popular people make less expensive knockoffs. That could be what’s happening here.

As for subzero yeah. No comment lol. Planned obsolescence. Ok guess I did have a comment after all. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results