shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you tell me about the cut of this sapphire?

eldo

Rough_Rock
Dear all, reading here and occasionally posting has helped me learn so much. I am still not sure if I can tell a 'good' cut, other than the more obvious geometric/precision ones.

https://www.simplysapphires.com/pro...-oval-cut-sapphire-1-13-cts-6-78x5-57x3-70mm/

I am interested in this gem. What are your opinions? I personally like this light colour. The listing says the cut is good. Is that the case? Does it look windowed to you?

Many thanks for any advice you can give, just to help me learn!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s cut decently, no window. It looks like a recut from a native cut stone. It’s obviously very old stock because it comes with an AGTA report, and that lab hasn’t been in operation for at least a decade as far as I recall. The color is kind of meh to me, very gray and uninspiring. It might pop in a contrasting metal like rose gold though.

Kevin Bryant

Rough_Rock
Trade
Cant tell much from the photos on the cut and how good it is, does not looked windowed from the pictures but hard to tell

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the cut is bad, but I don't like the color. It's grey and "meh" IMHO.

eldo

Rough_Rock
Ooh, thank you very much, very helpful. I thought the colour looked quite pretty on the hand shot! What is a fair price for this stone, would you say?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, thank you very much, very helpful. I thought the colour looked quite pretty on the hand shot! What is a fair price for this stone, would you say?
It's hard to say, because honestly stones are so subjective and are often worth what people will pay for them. That said, I don't think this one is crazy overpriced. I wouldn't buy it bcuase I don't like the color, but you might like the color and love it in person.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the price is decent, probably because it’s old stock. It may be worth looking at if the return policy is good. I haven’t seen a listing from that vendor in ages, so make sure the stone is still available if you’re interested in it.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't dislike the color at all. I'm just not a fan of the grainy video. I like lighter blue sapphires. It's about what color you like. You can return it if you're not happy.

eldo

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much! What do you think of the colour of this one, by means of comparison? Too da Screenshot_20190724-121836.png rk?

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the color on the first one. It’s a little gray-blue but that probably helped the price. If you like a color that’s not “trade ideal” you can find some lovely bargains. Your second stone is overly dark to my taste. It’s all about what you like. Real life can be different from what your monitor shows, so you may need to see stones in person to know for sure. Happy looking!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second one will look 100% black in person. I much prefer the first one.

eldo

Rough_Rock
Great, thank you all so much! it is quite subjective, isn't it?

I thought the second one was a little dark, the seller assured me it is an 'ideal' blue and is very rich, but not dark. they have a good return policy and based in the UK so it's worth a look!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great, thank you all so much! it is quite subjective, isn't it?

I thought the second one was a little dark, the seller assured me it is an 'ideal' blue and is very rich, but not dark. they have a good return policy and based in the UK so it's worth a look!
I'm sorry, but the seller is lying. You'll pay for shipping back and forth and lose that $$ just to see a black stone in person. Not worth it at all IMHO. anyone trying to call that "ideal" is dishonest, period.

eldo

Rough_Rock
Ahhh, thank you for your wisdom! I will take this on board.

They seemed so sure of this, and they will lose $$ if i ship it back too, so maybe uneducated (like me) rather than dishonest?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I generally try to give the vendor reasonable consideration, but if they are uneducated, they have no business getting into the gemstone business. That would be doing their customers disservice.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh, thank you for your wisdom! I will take this on board.

They seemed so sure of this, and they will lose $$ if i ship it back too, so maybe uneducated (like me) rather than dishonest?
They won't lose $$ if you send it back. They will be even and they hope you'll keep it.

eldo

Rough_Rock
They will pay to ship it to me! But yes, one would hope vendors are educated

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW I recently bought from Simply Sapphires and had a great experience. John (the owner) is very nice, took time to answer all my questions, shipped quickly and despite the grainy video I found the stone to be accurately represented for color.

eldo

Rough_Rock
This is encouraging! thank you

eldo

Rough_Rock
I don't dislike the color at all. I'm just not a fan of the grainy video. I like lighter blue sapphires. It's about what color you like. You can return it if you're not happy.
Can I ask about the ring in your avatar pic, please? What are the stones, who made it etc. It is wonderful!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first stone is a mid blue with a lot of grey and purple the second stone is a royal colour that will be dark to almost black in a lot of lighting situations. Work out what colour you want in a sapphire.

A lot of English people like royal or almost black sapphires, people in the US not so much.....

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@arkieb1 That dark blue is almost like navy, it matches everything as a neutral. The lighter blues register more as “blue”.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results