shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you just switch-out same size and shape of stone in same setting?

AudreyHepburn

Rough_Rock
I apologize if this is the wrong forum, this is regarding moissanite stone but I did not see anything about resetting moissaintes in the moissy forum, so I am posting here. Please redirect me if I should be posting somewhere else!

I had a classic Tiffany round replica solitaire with matching band made by Provence (Chinese vendor) a few months ago, set with a 7mm round h&a stone. I love the setting but do not like the stone. I do not like the cut, which I am thinking is most likely due to poorer craftsmanship in the way the stone was cut. I would like to replace the stone with C&C of the same size and shape.

Is this a simple process of just removing the old stone and setting the new stone with same head and prongs? The reason I ask is because I had a poorer quality round brilliant moissy in a sterling silver setting last year that I asked a jeweler by my house to switch out for same size Forever Classic, and the jeweler said they couldn't do that because the setting had not been designed/fit to that exact stone. But the stone was the same shape and size so that seemed odd to me?

I really want to keep this setting and just have a better stone set in it without having to get a new prong head or setting altogether, - can this be done??? If it can be done, would I have to replace it with a h&a stone or could i put a regular round brilliant in there? I ask this because the h&a table/crown sits a bit higher than round brilliant.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jeweler who will do the swap would ve able to advise you best, I think some are more conservative on what they're willing to attempt than others. You'd ideally get a stone of the same shape, depth, circumference but the jeweler could tell you how much wiggle room there is. A stone with the same proportions shouldn't be hard to swap out I would think. Depending on the setting fees and the cost of the ring it might make more sense to resell and have a new one made though. Oh and you may want to see if there is a jewelry repair place or two nearby to get a quote from too, I feel they tend to charge a little less than retail jewelers and are probably more experienced with these types of resets. Good luck!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AudreyHepburn Bludiva gave you good advice & things to consider.

I’ll just add, it very well could be that the jeweler you went to just didn’t really want the work/risk. That may sound crazy, but from their perspective, they may not be familiar/comfortable working with the type of stone or a setting from someone else because it’s also a potential liability for them if something goes awry with the stone swap. If that were the case, I’d still prefer they just be honest about it vs. potentially mislead the customer, but I wouldn’t fault them too much about it really.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you show us a picture of the top and side of your setting? A skilled jeweler may be able to unprong your stone and put the new one in using the cuts made for the first stone. They may be able to swap the stones with minimal prong rebuilding and/or retipping. Or they may have to remove the entire crown and replace with a new head and cut the seats for this new stone.

Or the setting may have an integrated (not peg) head wherein this would all become more complicated.

AudreyHepburn

Rough_Rock
Here are photos of the setting. I do know of a few other independent jewelers who would probably switch the stone with no questions asked, but was wondering if they perhaps would not be providing me the courtesy of letting me know that this may not be safe for the stone or may not look quite right?

ring 1.png ring 2.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results