shape
carat
color
clarity

Call for asscherlovers... after a local jeweler visit today...

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
so as some of the asscher lovers here might know, I just started a journey searching for an asscher. The original thought was to find a .4-.5 one for a pendant. Today, though, after paid a visit to a local jewelery store and looked at around 10 stones, I changed my mind and got a crazy idea of buying a nice asscher as an update of my ering instead. I was shocked by the thought at the beginning but soon got excited. I now have a cushion yellow stone ering and I love it, but I guess over the time I have shifted my interest and my heart starts to set on a different spot..

I am not very impressed by the asscher I looked at in the store, so I made some searches again on James Allen and I was wondering if any of you asscherlovers can kindly give me some suggestions. I know I always get good support here and I appreciate it as always!

So here are the stones:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.95-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-3465945
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.93-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-4279384
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/1.11-carat-k-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-4919945
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.92-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-5291680

I look forward for your input:dance:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
0.92HVVS:
9C4381D8-333C-4A23-90C3-BB9A13A334C1.png

A lot of contrast in the center, but those dark pavilion facets are a bit of a concern. I’d be worried about leakage. Outside of that, it’s a gorgeous Asscher.
This will be a tough decision among all of them.
0.95ISI looks spectacular, and has a perfect 1.00:1 l x w ratio! I can’t see a single inclusion, so it’s definitely eye clean!
However, there are a few dark steps in the center, face on...

5C07D782-F0C5-4EE5-A7FF-8047D824D34F.png

This is going to completely come down to your preferences of color, clarity, and l x w ratio. Which one speaks to you, as it moves? What patterns do you favor? What looks best to your eye?

Here are stills of the other 2 candidates:

0.93HVS:
9279535B-B098-45CA-A705-470549BC3097.png
The brightness of 0.93HVS1, and it’s flashes of color are alluring. Eye clean, crisp, and very beautiful. Very white for an H. No dark center. Completely clear. Very tough choice, indeed.

1.11KVVS:
A3435E0A-3FA4-4293-AA4C-1F9AF2732AD3.png

I love the corners & the smaller table (57%) of 1.11KVVS. The creamy, buttery hint of color gives her personality, too.

It will be interesting to see what others have to say....
@OoohShiny @-Asscher- @diamondseeker2006 @whitewave @scarsmum @farrahlyn
Please tag other step cut lovers!!!

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
@Matthews1127 wow I'm so excited to see you here! So many posts here talked about you or your I'm feeling like a fan finally ran into her idol :dance: I appreciate your comments on each of the stones. I agree it's no easy choice and i wish I can put them side by side to compare. Unfortunately I ran out of my 3 quota of ASET images from JA already. I'm glad you listed the pros and cons of each stone for me to think. I guess it is now a matter what I really care or want. I also look forward of more input from the other gurus you called for. Again I appreciate your great comments on each stone and so glad to finally meet you!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 wow I'm so excited to see you here! So many posts here talked about you or your I'm feeling like a fan finally ran into her idol :dance: I appreciate your comments on each of the stones. I agree it's no easy choice and i wish I can put them side by side to compare. Unfortunately I ran out of my 3 quota of ASET images from JA already. I'm glad you listed the pros and cons of each stone for me to think. I guess it is now a matter what I really care or want. I also look forward of more input from the other gurus you called for. Again I appreciate your great comments on each stone and so glad to finally meet you!

Happy to be of some assistance, @pricescopenewbie!
If you have more than 1 email address, JA will send you 3 ASETs per email address.
You may be able to narrow your choices from 4-3, and request ASETs for each, and evaluate them based upon which looks best, as well as which appeals to you, most, in videos. Once you make your decision, examine it in every lighting environment as possible, to make sure it’s exactly what you expect. Make sure you stay within the return policy timeline, in case it turns out to not be “the one”. ;)2
Thank you for the sweet compliments, above; it’s great to meet you, too!! I’m no expert, but I’ve learned so much, over time, pricescope is an invaluable resource, and I’m an enthusiastic lover of all stepcuts!
You stated, above, that you have a fancy yellow stone, currently....is that correct? I can honestly tell you, that, if I were you, going up in color from a fancy yellow, brilliant cut to a step cut, that K is very “yummy”. I love everything about it...everything. You have to decide how high you want to go Re: color. H is a big jump from FY...even between brilliant cut to step cut (step cuts usually show more body color).
Are you resetting this stone, or using your current setting? What color metal will the Asscher be set into?
That may help you narrow your choices...
Either way, I can’t wait to see what transpires, here!!
In the event that none of the above become viable candidates, I’d be more than happy to help you continue your search!!!
This is the fun part!! :mrgreen2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also found this one
https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/0-91-emerald-cut-diamond-gia-i-vvs1

Wonder if anyone can also kindly comment on this one? I'm open to emerald. It seems to me this emerald doesn't show much black facets but when it moves I don't see that much sparkles. I might be totally wrong. I'm so used to JA videos. Look forward to your advice! Thanks ahead :)

Not the best videos to showcase this stone’s performance.
Reach out to JbG & request videos N-S of that stone. It does sparkle, but it will flash, when tilted from side to side, N-S, not from E-W. It wasn’t very sunny, in the videos, either....not very good light.
The clarity is eye clean, and it’s very well cut.
Inquire more. I have a feeling it’s a gorgeous performer.
See this still:
B89B4863-A967-4F23-B217-85284B3A6E04.png
You need to see this baby at this angle, in motion!!!

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
@Matthews1127 yes here is my FY double halo see below. And actually I think some of the above stones can fit in. My jeweler said he can do it when I paid them a visit yesterday. I'm not sure though if double halo is a good setting for asscher though. I might end up sell my FY to fund this new ring and go with a total different setting.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-double-halo-ring-i-call-her-solestia.214451/

I really like the elongated shape of emeralds, more so than asscher. But I feel emerald are not as sparkly as asscher and that's is my primary reason focusing on asscher right now. Not sure if I'm right I only see limited amount of each type so far. If an emerald can over spark an asscher I will pick it in a heartbeat. I'm interested in that emerald listed by grace and I am going to request more videos. Grace doesn't seem to respond to emails very well though. I used to email twice and never heard back.

It will be a fun journey searching for that winner stone. I'm glad you are here to support. I will keep you posted.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
@Matthews1127 so I got the ASET for the 1.11 asscher today. wonder if you can look at it and give me your suggestions. they promised to send me the ASET for the .95 in a few days. they don't have the ASET for the .93 though which i would really like to see. Again thank you so much for your help!
upload_2018-10-1_21-33-48.png

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 so I got the ASET for the 1.11 asscher today. wonder if you can look at it and give me your suggestions. they promised to send me the ASET for the .95 in a few days. they don't have the ASET for the .93 though which i would really like to see. Again thank you so much for your help!
upload_2018-10-1_21-33-48.png

There is a lot of contrast in the center, and the black & white square in the center concerns me; I think you will find that this stone is not as bright, consistently across the center, and you may have leakage. I would prefer to see more red & green in the center of this ASET.
I’d like to see the next ASET for comparison.
I am surprised the ASET for 1.11KVVS didn’t come back more favorable. I wouldn’t eliminate it, just yet....

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a lot of contrast in the center, and the black & white square in the center concerns me; I think you will find that this stone is not as bright, consistently across the center, and you may have leakage. I would prefer to see more red & green in the center of this ASET.
I’d like to see the next ASET for comparison.
I am surprised the ASET for 1.11KVVS didn’t come back more favorable. I wouldn’t eliminate it, just yet....

I wish we could get ASET images for tilt angles - as Yoram's post shows, it's possible to have a beautiful and high performing stone that also shows leakage on the ASET at certain angles!
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-code-name-mildred.236249/page-6#post-4337522

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my eyes, it performs well at all of the tilt angles, which is quite hard to find! Nice faceting and performance, too. I wonder if it might lack brightness/contrast under the table head-on, though.

The first one also performs well at all angles, with only a smigde of windowing in the central facets at a couple of tilt angles :) As per the previous one, perhaps lacking a little brightness under the table head-on, but does have interesting contrast/obstruction patterns. The P2(?) facets look to be majoring on virtual facet reflections rather than direct (white) light return, though, (as they don't really show bright white at any angle) but it may not be an issue as the rest of the facets seem to do that well. It might have some Hall of Mirrors going on, which is good!

The last one looks (again, to me) really good! Great brightness/contrast/scintillation, nice facet/obstruction/contrast patterning (IMO)... I think the only potential issue is that it seems to window in the centre (P2 + P3?) facets somewhat at around the 80-degree angle? which is a shame as it performs so well otherwise! If you are really keen on it, I think it would be useful to assess in real life.

All IMHO, of course!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not the best videos to showcase this stone’s performance.
Reach out to JbG & request videos N-S of that stone. It does sparkle, but it will flash, when tilted from side to side, N-S, not from E-W. It wasn’t very sunny, in the videos, either....not very good light.
The clarity is eye clean, and it’s very well cut.
Inquire more. I have a feeling it’s a gorgeous performer.
See this still:
B89B4863-A967-4F23-B217-85284B3A6E04.png
You need to see this baby at this angle, in motion!!!

Hmmm... I think that's great photography and some cool colours, but I (personally) don't think the facets at each end are working hard enough and seem to window somewhat when tilted - that might mean the central band dominates.

Of course, it is fine if one prefers that, but I like to see the whole stone working!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry, i did not see this tag pop up!!! You're in great hands with @Matthews1127

Overall, i must say i LOVE the 1.06 J Stone you posted. that is some incredible sparkle, the steps are really lively and the windmills are just luscious! The 1.11 K stone is my 2nd favorite despite the ASET. There has been some great info here from professionals on step cuts and their ASETs and how they tell a very limited story. With step cuts, you really need to let your eyes be the judge, it's not an open/shut case like a round. The .92 H stone also caught my eye, it's a little quieter than the J stone but still pretty crisp.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
0.92HVVS:
9C4381D8-333C-4A23-90C3-BB9A13A334C1.png

A lot of contrast in the center, but those dark pavilion facets are a bit of a concern. I’d be worried about leakage. Outside of that, it’s a gorgeous Asscher.
This will be a tough decision among all of them.
0.95ISI looks spectacular, and has a perfect 1.00:1 l x w ratio! I can’t see a single inclusion, so it’s definitely eye clean!
However, there are a few dark steps in the center, face on...
Black is a reflection of the camera when over obstructed when in those video devices.
Some contrast is good(blue in ASET) when it forms patterns.
Leakage in the videos shows up as grey in those videos because of the background so a leaky diamond can look brighter.
When looking for leakage you have to look at the background.

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black is a reflection of the camera when over obstructed when in those video devices.
Some contrast is good(blue in ASET) when it forms patterns.
Leakage in the videos shows up as grey in those videos because of the background so a leaky diamond can look brighter.
When looking for leakage you have to look at the background.

So glad you joined us, @Karl_K! :mrgreen2:
Thank you for your evaluation; this choice is tough. I believe this decision will ultimately boil down to OP’s preferences, and what appeals to the eye.
I agree with you; step cuts need to be evaluated based upon naked eye examination. It’s the best way to know for sure just how much a diamond “speaks” to someone.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP, have you decided on an asscher? I am following your thread because I am really drawn to step cuts. Could someone explain the term "windowing" to me please. What causes windowing ? Is it more common with certain depths or angles? I love the 1.09 ct J and the 1.08 K that @OoohShiny posted The windmills are so incredible!

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Hello All,

it is been a while and finally i got another ASET for this one:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.95-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-3465945

GetAttachmentThumbnail

I really appreciate all the help from above posts. I learnt so much from everyone. and got a lot good advice!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello All,

it is been a while and finally i got another ASET for this one:

GetAttachmentThumbnail

I really appreciate all the help from above posts. I learnt so much from everyone. and got a lot good advice!

I think compared to the first ASET, this stone is lacking more Red, but it’s still a good ASET.
I know in video, it looked very pretty. If I* had to choose, I’d keep #1....BUT, I’m certain you have more to choose from.
Have you investigated any that @OoohShiny posted for you? He has a knack for picking some very interesting Asschers, with beautiful contrast patterns! ;)2

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to be contrary and disagree ;-)

It looks to have good 'hall of mirrors' in the very centre, which is good, but that square of white/grey is fairly considerable leakage to my eyes - and although some leakage can be considered as contrast patterning (AIUI), I think this might be too much?

Additionally, when the stone is rotating, look at the facets around the centre (the P3 facets, I believe) - the don't seem to be doing much at all, with no bright light return, and at some angles they look to be a grey as the background behind them, so I wonder if they are leaky/windowing from tilt angles.

I think you can do better!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results