shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD help please! Thoughts?

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
I have missed being here so much! I’ve had a major family crisis ongoing since April ‘17 that has really limited my bandwidth. I hope everyone has been well! I need your wonderful insight on the CADs for my star sapphire reset. The sapphire is about 9x11mm (see last pics). What are your thoughts on how the CADs need to be tweaked? The finished ring will be in white, not yellow, btw.
82ABE477-1476-4992-ABCF-9082881E4C57.jpeg 05CB0CF2-CE5C-463C-9D28-F3CA96AF7700.jpeg 7B8EDEB7-1F7B-4E5D-9F1C-610DCAAC48C1.jpeg 069F38CC-5576-4CE5-91AA-2715836AB538.jpeg D70A588F-28B4-46E4-9A71-0596FE8F06BC.jpeg 7C07BF73-BA76-4163-BEDA-DA07FA59AB5F.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the inspiration is beautiful.
Sorry to hear of the rough patch you've had - but sounds like it's passed or soon to be resolved.
The only thing that stands out to me on the CAD is the low position of the cuffs.
I'd think it'd bother me being in between the fingers.

Edited for spelling, and manners.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Am not quite liking the shoulders and the cuffs but not good enough in designing to suggest how to tweak.

Will the sapphire be set with 4 prongs as well?

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Is it a design feature that the prongs around the sapphire have an indent/tip like that? It would bother me if they are not evenly catching the light and distracting from the star sapphire. Have you ruled out a bezel? I was just thinking that a milgrained bezel would match the milgrain on the shank and the bezeled diamonds.

voce

Ideal_Rock
First of all, let me say that you have a beautiful star sapphire!

For my personal aesthetic the milgrain on the split shank and the side bezels looks too busy. I also agree with what others have said about the position and comfort of the cuffs. What I would do, if I were you, is ditch all the milgrain (on the bezels and the shanks) and ditch the cuffs.

A plainer split shank design, where the two shanks meet one-third of the way up between where the cuff sits currently to where the lower tip of that marquis/leaf gold detail is currently, would be more elegant imho.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
I think the inspiration is beautiful.
Sorry to hear of the rough patch you've had - but sounds like it's passed or soon to be resolved.
The only thing that stands out to me on the CAD is the low position of the cuffs.
I'd think it'd bother me being in between the fingers.

Edited for spelling, and manners.
Thank you for your kind thoughts on the family stuff. We’re not out of the woods yet but things are getting better

I agree with you about the caps being too low for n the sides. I’m also not sure that I like how the diamonds on the sides are set. They kind of remind me of little diamond lollipops LOL. I was kind of thinking the “Swoops”, for lack of a better word, should wrap around the diamonds like this inspiration ring.
3533AF9D-315D-4ADD-9894-AEB333D94FAF.jpeg

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Am not quite liking the shoulders and the cuffs but not good enough in designing to suggest how to tweak.

Will the sapphire be set with 4 prongs as well?
The shoulders are supposed to be closer to the inspiration shoulder I uploaded in a previous reply where I drew in the leaf. I agree with you That the current version of the shoulders is not a go. My Jeweler is trying to convince me to put a marquis diamond where the leaf is on the shoulder and I’m not sure how I feel about that either.

I don’t know how many prongs I want holding the Sapphire but I do know I want them to be pointed.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Is it a design feature that the prongs around the sapphire have an indent/tip like that? It would bother me if they are not evenly catching the light and distracting from the star sapphire. Have you ruled out a bezel? I was just thinking that a milgrained bezel would match the milgrain on the shank and the bezeled diamonds.

The prongs will not have an indent in the tip. I think that’s just a weird way they come out in the CAD. Yes, I have ruled out a bezel around the sapphire.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
First of all, let me say that you have a beautiful star sapphire!

For my personal aesthetic the milgrain on the split shank and the side bezels looks too busy. I also agree with what others have said about the position and comfort of the cuffs. What I would do, if I were you, is ditch all the milgrain (on the bezels and the shanks) and ditch the cuffs.

A plainer split shank design, where the two shanks meet one-third of the way up between where the cuff sits currently to where the lower tip of that marquis/leaf gold detail is currently, would be more elegant imho.

Thank you for the sweet complement on my star! I love my little “snozberry” ( i’ve always imagined them to be this color, LOL ).
I definitely agree with you that the split itself needs to be higher. I am kind of partial to the cuffs though.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the many little prongs for the (beautiful!) star sapphire vs 4/6.
Yes- your inspiration picture with swoopy lines on the shoulder diamonds looks much better than what's depicted on the cad. Lollipops is right- and not in a good way.
I also would re-think the recessed channel that the whole underside of shank has. I'd want to see how a cad like that came out in real life. The inspiration one I don't think would bother me in real life - but I think what's going to result from the sizing of that recessed area on your cad in real life would.
If the jeweler you are using can do nice fine milgrain finished product- I think it will be lovely- I don't think it looks too busy at all.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your kind thoughts on the family stuff. We’re not out of the woods yet but things are getting better

I agree with you about the caps being too low for n the sides. I’m also not sure that I like how the diamonds on the sides are set. They kind of remind me of little diamond lollipops LOL. I was kind of thinking the “Swoops”, for lack of a better word, should wrap around the diamonds like this inspiration ring.
3533AF9D-315D-4ADD-9894-AEB333D94FAF.jpeg
Ooh, this inspiration picture looks better than the CAD. I like the gold leaf shape you drew in there! In the inspiration, the lines are cleaner and the milgrain is used sparingly to accentuate the lines, not going all the way around the bezels. I would ask that the CAD be modified to what is in this picture :geek2:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry that you’ve had a family crisis! I hope that you are finding a new normal, and a new perspective which is positive in the end.
I haved loved your star since you first got it, and am glad that you are resetting it! I love your inspiration pics....
Re the cad, I think the proportions in the inspiration picture are lovely. The thing which stands out most as a distraction to me, are the diamonds outside of the halo. Somehow, to my eye, they compete because they look larger due to being bezel set. If they were smaller, like more of an accent, maybe the design would be more clear and focused. I also prefer no leaf in the design, just smooth, curved lines curling into 2 accent diamonds on each side. Just my 2cents. Either way, I’m so excited for how this will turn out because it will be gorgeous with that stone!!!!

Last edited:

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
I also prefer no leaf in the design, just smooth, curved lines curling into 2 accent diamonds on each side. Just my 2cents. Either way, I’m so excited for how this will turn out because it will be gorgeous with that stone!!!!

Thank you Blue! I think you’re right about the proportions on the sides. Here are the latest round of CADs. Getting better but not quite there yet.
6BC8A1E9-BA1D-47AD-8CE7-0CA8202D108E.jpeg 546A293E-0ACF-4C4E-9B35-AE9250253B19.jpeg

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I'm no help with CADs because I think it looks so beautiful (and have never started a custom from CADs)! I also love the Snozberry reference :lol:.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
New CAD is so much better :)

I definitely agree that the accent diamonds should be smaller in proportion to the halo. I think those bezels can be a lot more delicate as well. Judging from the inspiration, I would like to see a bit more swoop where the split shank meets the head of the ring. Right now it looks like the split shank dead ends at the head, and the bezels are plopped on the sides, rather than the shank curving out and creating little curls that the accent diamonds nestle in.

Maybe suggest that the CAD artist draw the curls first and then add the diamonds rather than placing the bezels first and then adding the shank between them.

But jealous of your beautiful star sapphire! It deserves a wonderful setting!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
New CAD is so much better :)

I definitely agree that the accent diamonds should be smaller in proportion to the halo. I think those bezels can be a lot more delicate as well. Judging from the inspiration, I would like to see a bit more swoop where the split shank meets the head of the ring. Right now it looks like the split shank dead ends at the head, and the bezels are plopped on the sides, rather than the shank curving out and creating little curls that the accent diamonds nestle in.

Maybe suggest that the CAD artist draw the curls first and then add the diamonds rather than placing the bezels first and then adding the shank between them.

But jealous of your beautiful star sapphire! It deserves a wonderful setting!
This!! You expressed exactly what I was thinking also. Well said.

The CAD is so much better than before. That stone does deserve a gorgeous setting!

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Its driving me crazy that going back and forth on little tiny things playing telephone between me-jeweler-CAD guy is really creating obstacles. I finally monkeyed with the pictures I'd been sent and made my own. It's not technically a CAD but I'm hoping maybe the CAD guy can copy it?? What do you think? First two pics are their first two tries, last one is mine. Mine is a tiny bit too wide as I didn't overlap my mirror image enough when I edited it.
image.png

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Looks great! Jealous of your photoshopping skills. I think you hit it right on the nose!

I will note that on the inspiration ring, the milgrain doesn't go all the way around the accent stone bezels. just a little bit on the top. But I don't know how closely you want to mimic that, and I think the way you have it also looks great.

And I definitely understand the frustration with the back and forth between designs, and comments, and drawings and renderings. The tiniest changes can take forever... Kudos to using your tools and skills to help make things clear :)

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Looks great! Jealous of your photoshopping skills. I think you hit it right on the nose!

Thanks! There was plenty tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth...and umpteen programs and fails before a decent one, lol.

I will note that on the inspiration ring, the milgrain doesn't go all the way around the accent stone bezels. just a little bit on the top. But I don't know how closely you want to mimic that, and I think the way you have it also looks great.

I noticed that as well but my Photoshopping cut and paste options were limited by what was already tried in the different versions. Milgrain was the easiest way to get those clunky bezels to look more refined. I'm not sure that it will be doable in reality and may only go part way around as well. I'm open to either I just want it to look polished and not like something was an afterthought or was missed, you know?

And I definitely understand the frustration with the back and forth between designs, and comments, and drawings and renderings. The tiniest changes can take forever... Kudos to using your tools and skills to help make things clear :)
Thanks! Do you think I'm going to ruffle feathers though? I don't want to wait forever but I also don't want to tick off my jeweler.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! Do you think I'm going to ruffle feathers though? I don't want to wait forever but I also don't want to tick off my jeweler.

Hahaha. Definitely know the feeling. You should probably be okay though. From what others have said about their custom experiences (there is a thread "What you wish you knew before going custom" or something like that), most jewelers/designers appreciate the clarity and don't take offense. In the end it means less work for everyone (and less billable hours for the CAD artist!). That being said, I recently drew and sent a super detailed color-coded diagram to the designer I am working with for my e-ring, because I was afraid I wasn't communicating what I wanted well, and in her response she mentioned that she feared I may be "highly micromanaging"... Oops. :oops: :whistle: :???:

Mine isn't CAD though. I think she said it bc she wanted to make sure I knew that there can always be some variation between the hand drawing and the final hand-forged result --- so I wouldn't be disappointed in the end.

So I may not be the best person to speak to this, heh, buuuuut I think you are totally within reason! Most just want to make sure you are happy! The better the CAD process, the less likely you will leave a dissatisfied customer in the end :)

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
I recently drew and sent a super detailed color-coded diagram to the designer I am working with for my e-ring, because I was afraid I wasn't communicating what I wanted well, and in her response she mentioned that she feared I may be "highly micromanaging"... Oops. :oops: :whistle: :???:

Bwahahaha!!!! That’s awesome! :lol:

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is this going? Do you have their 3rd CAD yet?

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
How is this going? Do you have their 3rd CAD yet?

No third round yet. And now I’m worrying myself over whether I should stick with four claw prongs or go back to the ring of claw prongs all around the sapphire like in the first CAD...gah! I’m decisive on some things and so not decisive on others. I’m going to drive myself nuts!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No third round yet. And now I’m worrying myself over whether I should stick with four claw prongs or go back to the ring of claw prongs all around the sapphire like in the first CAD...gah! I’m decisive on some things and so not decisive on others. I’m going to drive myself nuts!

Don’t rush it. You want it to be right. :D

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
It’s here. Round three, lol. Still not quite right. Am I wrong to feel frustrated that my picture and my notes I sent with it were pretty explicit and the cad guy just ignored some of them?

Here’s what we had to start with. Their first try, second try, and my bad Photoshop job on what I wanted in the third frame.

EEE4BB92-D634-42A3-9DDB-24B29CEA401F.jpeg

Here is what I received today.

5A4354E3-DB29-4EDD-A94F-39D8C9E98BF2.jpeg 21CF040A-4C03-441F-9C8F-8749C600DD11.jpeg 2E37FBC1-C46D-4DD4-AC69-73B1D2D4C887.jpeg 7D512E9F-43D3-4CEA-B8FF-0B134FC9CF94.jpeg

They completely ignored changing the size of the diamonds on the sides and the leaf shape.

E237035C-B809-41F7-96C0-55DA4051E9A2.jpeg
Does the CAD guy get paid every time he makes a change? Is he just an unscrupulous a-hole and dinging my jeweler over and over again and making me frustrated as all get out? Or is he sincerely just slow? Can you tell I’ve had a very frustrating day and this was the frustrating ice cream on top of my frustrating cake? Sorry for my witchy tone. Sigh.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry this has been so frustrating for you. But every round of CADs will get it a bit closer! I guess this is some of the risk that comes with working with a jeweler that contracts out the CAD work, bexuae you can't communicate directly.

But stick it out! It will be worth it in the end!

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hang in there girl! Honestly, it's better to be right in the beginning. It's only a picture. So much easier to make adjustments. So what if you do 6 CADS? Or even 7? :lol-2: Try to remember that the finished product will be exactly what you want, and it will be stunning.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the pep talks @suzanne2 @elliefire99! I certainly needed them. It’s been almost six months since I began the project. I think I’d be less bothered if there was quicker turnaround between CADs. I’m just praying I can have a ring on my finger by New Years. =)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you going to share CAD #3 with us? I'm interested in seeing the subtle changes you've made and how the change the ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results