shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD Help? David Klass Vintage Inspired Ring

hsc9

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

I've been lurking here for a couple months after my boyfriend and I started discussing engagement rings. All the knowledge on this forum has been so incredibly helpful. Thanks everyone!

Background info:
*We will be setting a 7mm OEC moissanite that we've purchased from JYB Jewels (ENV Moissanite). It's sitting at David's shop as we speak.
*We've been working with David Klass to design the ring. A million thanks to this forum for introducing him to us. He and Amy have been so incredibly kind and helpful. The ring will be in entirely rose gold.
Ring design:
Shank and shoulder detail - This is the inspiration ring I sent them. It has a 1.4 carat center stone so mine will be smaller. I love the tri-wire shank and petal shoulder detail but I wasn't a huge fan of the prongs and basket. I did specifically ask for a thin shank around 1.7mm to 1.8mm.
alva.jpg

Prongs - I found this ring on Etsy. I love the way these prongs look. These are the pictures I sent for the prongs to be modeled after. I asked them to make the prongs look exactly like this from the top view of the ring.
prongs.jpg

Basket - I didn't send any photos for the basket because I haven't really found a basket design that I was really in love with. I only asked that the basket be designed in a way which would allow the stone to be set as low as possible.
Latest CADs:
After a couple revisions, these are the latest CADs. I'm really happy with how everything is turning out. My latest comment was to ask to have the lines in the basket flow together a little more smoothly. The channel milgrain on the side of the shoulder is going to end up different. I asked for a scalloped edge shape but they made it look straight.
thumbnail_QUAD.jpg
Questions:
*I know I'm combining elements of different rings. This is my first time making a ring. I really want to make sure that the everything looks cohesive and refined.
*Any suggestions on how to add a little more detail to the basket? Or do you guys think that the basket doesn't need more detail? I love ornate baskets but I keep reminding myself that the area under the stone is really small. What do you guys thing about adding pave in the basket? I wouldn't want to change the top-down view of the ring or raise the stone too much more.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this style of basket and think it looks perfect as it is. What sort of band would you wear with it? If you add pave to the basket, you’ll need a spacer to ensure the pave doesn’t ‘eat’ your wedding band.
Also the donut looks quite large and like it’ll be difficult for a band to sit flush if this is what you like.

hsc9

Rough_Rock
I love this style of basket and think it looks perfect as it is. What sort of band would you wear with it? If you add pave to the basket, you’ll need a spacer to ensure the pave doesn’t ‘eat’ your wedding band.
Also the donut looks quite large and like it’ll be difficult for a band to sit flush if this is what you like.

I haven't thought too much about the band yet. I actually like the look of the "gap". I'll keep that in mind about the pave in the basket! Thank you!

If I end up with no pave on the basket but pave on the band, will I still need a spacer? The other way applies too right? The pave band will "eat" the basket?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can yes - it depends on how big the pave band is or how high it sits up - the donut would be helpful for this

crystalinmke

Shiny_Rock
Premium
you should post pictures when it is completed! it will look beautiful.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your ideas. It’s going to be a beautiful ring and will look very substantial on your teeny finger :love:

hsc9

Rough_Rock
I will definitely come back and update once the ring is completed!

I took foxinsox's advice and left the basket alone. Not adding pave will make pairing a wedding band easier. I'd prefer not to have to wear a spacer.

Here are the current CADs in case anyone is interested in looking at them. Just very minor tweaks from my original post. I had them change the shape of the basket slightly so that it hugs the stone a bit more and they made the lines in the basket a bit smoother. They're going to send a plastic model soon! I'm basically ready to approve the CADs but I'll wait for the model just to be sure.

45410-quad(2).jpg

Thanks everyone! I really hope the ring will turn out okay!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah that is perfection :love: I really like it!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just realised how similar this is to the Ring Concierge’s Signature Antique, itself an Edwardian design. @tlfiore, if you are wanting to reset your OEC into this style or similar, DK can clearly nail it for you. OP, sorry to threadjack but it just struck me that tlfiore is looking for a very similar setting and might find this useful

hsc9

Rough_Rock
Just realised how similar this is to the Ring Concierge’s Signature Antique, itself an Edwardian design. @tlfiore, if you are wanting to reset your OEC into this style or similar, DK can clearly nail it for you. OP, sorry to threadjack but it just struck me that tlfiore is looking for a very similar setting and might find this useful

No problem! That Ring Concierge setting is so pretty... Do I need to consider two-tone??? I've also seen a really similar one from Good Stone!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWnllRlFUzl/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

hsc9

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to give an update! I received the ring a couple nights ago and I absolutely adore it. I was a little worried about the design not working since I borrowed from several different rings. But I think it turned out well! A perfect blend of the vintage aesthetic that I like and minimalist aesthetic that my SO likes. Helet me wear it out for a day to let me make sure that there were no issues with the ring/stone. Sadly he's taking it back until the proposal.

Quick reviews of David Klass and JYB Jewels:
David Klass was absolutely fantastic. He's completely worth the wait. I don't understand how he's able to provide such good value! I think his policy of not asking for payment until you're completely happy with the final product really speaks to his quality of work and gave me the confidence to go custom with him.

I got my OEC moissanite from JYB Jewels. I had it custom cut because she didn't have the size I wanted. The stone ended up with skinnier petal facets than I was expecting but the stone is still very pretty and sparkly and I'm very happy with it. If you're very particular about the facet pattern, you may want to to go with a stocked stone instead of a custom cut because I've seen slight variability with many of the vendors.

Now on to photos!
20181011_103206-01.jpeg

20181010_164650-02.jpeg

20181010_201423-01.jpeg

crystalinmke

Shiny_Rock
Premium
it is gorgeous! definitely post more pictures once you get it after the proposal! i have been eyeing this style of ring for a while and im glad to see david absolutely nail the style. congrats (:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOF that's GORGEOUS. Congratulations in advance :)

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So beautiful!!!!

Sezzwho

Rough_Rock
Oh this stunning. Fantastic design! So so pretty!

ladyonthelake

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow your ring is beautiful!!! Congrats!

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
:love:Absolutely Beautiful! Just proves that anything is possible when putting together different elements in the world of jewelry design!:kiss2:

hsc9

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much everyone!! It's so nice being able to talk about the ring and jewelry in general. My friends IRL aren't really into jewelry at all so they'd totally think that I'm crazy if they knew how much time I spent researching and thinking about the ring during the whole process. :razz:

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
@hsc9 The ring is gorg. Love the proportions!

Curious - what size is your finger? And did your shank stay in the 1.7 - 1.8 mm range?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! It’s freaking gorgeous! I really love the side view!

hsc9

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys!!!

@hsc9 The ring is gorg. Love the proportions!

Curious - what size is your finger? And did your shank stay in the 1.7 - 1.8 mm range?

My finger is a 4.5 but I had the ring made as a 4.75. And the shank should be 1.7mm. I haven't measured but it was casted at 1.8mm and I was told that after polishing it would be 1.7mm. I can measure it once I get the ring if you want. I also think that the tri-wire has the same effect as a knife-edge in that it looks thinner than it actually is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results